2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Pinto Beans

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  sea ray 
#1 ·
I know that eveyone has their favorite pinto bean recipe but I thought I'd throw mine in the mix.

Wash beans and soak overnight. Brown a pound of hamburger meat with a white onion. Place beans and meat in crock pot. Add a couple teaspoons of salt, 1/2 small bottle of chili powder. Add one can or 20 oz bottle of Coke. Add water to cover beans. Cook all day in the crock pot. Make you a pan of cornbread and get to it.

#2 ·
We use the leftover ham bone from hams we have from time to time. salt, garlic, chili powder, jalapeno peppers, green chili's, onions quartered and cooked with the beans. I prefer a bottle or two of shiner bock in my beans.
and - we don't soak overnight any more. I just buy the 6lb cans of Bush Beans at the store. Saves having to wait 24 hours to cook. The beans are awesome - no rocks, no debris that might be missed in the cleaning, straining, etc. Beans are already cooked too, so the cooking time (approx 2.5 hours this way) is reduced because I don't have to wait for the beans to cook.

#3 ·
Made both the other night! No written recipe, but some necessary items.

Purple onions, Garlic, Red Wine or Beer (Shiner), Tony's, Pepper (Coarse), cayenne, Worcestershire or soy sauce

I think salt pork is the key ingredient.

Cornbread:
First heat cast iron skillet in oven at about 400 with liberal oil. Add chopped jalapenos, corn, and cheese to the cornbread mix. Pour mix into hot cast iron skillet to create a crust. 20-25 minutes later it's good.

#4 ·
Cooking Pinto Beans with a lot of stuff is sacrilege IMO. They are to be eaten with onion and cornbread to enjoy them. Maybe some hot peppers to add some 'kick'. Sweet tea for a drink.

Cook the beans slowly with a chunk of salt pork. Add other ingredients; which makes them Pinto Beans' no longer; after they're cooked. .

Using ground Beef and Chili powder creates Chili con carne. Pinto Beans added to make them Chili con Carne con Frijoles. C2

#5 ·
Cooking Pinto Beans with a lot of stuff is sacrilege IMO. They are to be eaten with onion and cornbread to enjoy them. Maybe some hot peppers to add some 'kick'. Sweet tea for a drink.

Cook the beans slowly with a chunk of salt pork. Add other ingredients; which makes them Pinto Beans' no longer; after they're cooked. .

Using ground Beef and Chili powder creates Chili con carne. Pinto Beans added to make them Chili con Carne con Frijoles. C2
I agree, I don't know where adding all of that stuff to pinto beans came from....They are no longer pinto beans if all of that junk is added.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.