Votes: 19 46.3%
  • 15-20

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • 20+

Votes: 1 2.4%

Comfortable Wind Speed

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  dk2429 
#1 ·
Just out of curiosity.. what's the average wind speed you guys are willing to soak a line in on mid bay reefs in East or West Galveston bay on a SE/SSE blow?

#2 ·
Up to 15 for me out deep is comfortable. That doesn't mean I won't keep fishing up to 20 if Im still catching fish. Probably most will tell you less than 12. And who doesn't love those days that blow 8-10. Of course those are awesome and cherished. It's probably going to continue to blow this spring since the area north of Tx is still quite cool and we keep getting cool fronts with some punch. That difference in land mass temperature is part of what causes strong spring winds. The other parts are jet stream location mostly.

#5 ·
In my....
Kayak - 5-10 (More than this I will be fighting to paddle/peddle into the wind)
Boat - 10-15 (Waves are the biggest safety factor and then "wind tides" are the second)
Bank - 15 or more (I can soak a line in a lawn chair and drink a beer and enjoy watching crazy people try to fish in a boat in weather like that. More fun)

#11 ·
the word comfort is subjective. I chose 15-20

but I'd like to be below 15 . . . problem with galveston is that it's big so the wind will chop it up pretty good.

that and we get great winds rarely or in the absolute heat of the summer when you are wishing for wind.

kind of got to figure out how to deal with it if you wanna fish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.