2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

What would you guys do?

4K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  PAfishing69 
#1 ·
Hey guys looking to do some wading this weekend, would it be better to hit up rockport and down and around port Aransas, or would it be better to hit POC, and at either one of the spots would it pay to get some live or dead shrimp for trout and reds and some crab for black drum or would it be better to fish artificial?? Thanks guys hopefully the fishing continues to get better, Happy Fishing!!- HR Troutman, Hunter D USN

#2 ·
PA.. while I love fishing with lures, I'd probably up the odds a little in your favor and just get some live shrimp and hit Port Aransas areas that you know. For one reason, there is a lot of grass shrimp in the grass right now so fishing in the potholes and edges of the grass might yield you some trout and maybe a red or 2. Good luck and have fun brotha.

#3 ·
Good advice and as of know I would say fish close to deep water or a channel if your looking for Reds. About 2 weeks ago the Reds in this area pulled off the flats. I think they went South, a lot of Reds South of the JFK right now. I'm going up the Tower tomorrow in the AP area scouting for the Rudy's tourney. If they are back on the flats I'll let you know. G-Luck

#7 ·
Put one pole with a popping cork and the another on a split shot or carolina rig and keep one on the bottom with enough leader for the shrimp to be able to swim around and commit suicide. That way you have shallow and deep water area covered.

South of the jfk causeway and deeper water. I have not fished the area so look on you hook/line map to see what he is talking about.

#11 ·
You should consider a PFD. Especially, as a novice fisherman and if entering areas you are unfamiliar with. There are strong currents, dropoffs or ledges that can be kinda steep and dangerous when tides are strong. And, a little extra caution on the beachfront is warranted. Not trying to alarm you but I have seen many preventable tragedies over several decades. Try to go with someone familiar with an area if possible. Mainly shuffle your feet and take it slow. Live shrimp, under popping corks or free-lined, maybe with split-shot or Carolina-rigged are great recommendations. Everything eats a live shrimp! Avoid the double drop factory rigs. Good luck! Catch a bigun'...

#14 ·
Thank you for the advice guys really appreciate the heads up with everything, I am heading down this evening and fishing the whole weekend so I will see how I do, also is south of the causeway closer to mustang island or corpus Christi side, and question for Rack Ranch were you doing any site casting or had any opportunities too, did you catch any reds? Thanks again im pumped for the weekend just got to find the fish now!

#20 ·
Been a while...

Hey guys well my laptop took a **** on me and have hardly had time the pass couple of weeks to even get on the forum, anyways I did happen to get on the fish all caught on live shrimp and cork, I fished down at the jetties at mustang island catching a nice sized sheep head and trout, I fished on the surf for a bit and caught some nice black drum, but I still haven't really found a good wading spot down at the causeway or around mustang island for reds an trout. I found some nice flats to fish but they were not on the flats when I was down there and the wind absolutely sucked.....anyways how has the fishing been down near the causeway any particular sports heating up down at Port Aransas or even POC, happy fishing guys, hope to hit the coast up again here in a couple of weeks.....

Attachments

#23 ·
Looks like you had a pretty awesome trip for a beginner. I don't think tide is so much a factor with those locations this time of year and through the summer. I have fished them on both low and hide tide. It's more about putting in the time and effort to find the fish. Wading fishing is a slower pace and usually your not just going to walk in the water and start catching fish. I have fished both of those places and both places have produced lots of fish. Sometime you have to wade for hours not catching anything until you find the fish or catch one here, one there coving a lot of water. When your in those areas look for bait and birds feeding. Fish deep, shallow, the gradient from the flats to the pocket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.