2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

What happened to that Filletzall blade thread?

9K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  DenHaire 
#1 ·
I wanted to read more of it.

Did it get trashy in the discussions?

#4 ·
Bought one but now need to go get a small sawsall. Most I found are pretty big. Buying the blade first was like the proverbial cart before the horse (smile).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not sure what happened with the discussion going on earlier. Supposedly the blade is universal and the fellow that posted the original post recommended a Makita sawzall. Kobalt and Rigid have a small sawzall also that isn't much bigger than a conventional e-knife. I've got the Kobalt and it's done well the last 4 or so years. These setups make cleaning redfish simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
#12 ·

This is what I've been using. Great for large scaled fish with big rib cages. I use it on larger reds, snapper, and triple tail. I will also add that it takes a little getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it's bad arse!

#17 ·
How do these work on softer fish like flounder and trout?

Unless you have hands steady as a surgeon! I've done a couple trout, but you have to be too careful. I have my sawsall strictly for cleaning a bunch of redfish, this saves my E-knife. I use a regular e-knife for trout, flounder, and smaller reds.

#21 ·
I went with traditional electric to get the weight down. Looked at battery operated but they all seemed too heavy. I clean my fish at home so have power and the small Kobalt hand held sawsall in electric was 2.12 pounds. You younger guys could probable wield a chainsaw one handed with no problem but us codgers need to compensate.

#22 ·
I did the cart before the horse thing too and regret it. I asked them at the show where to get the small battery operated reciprocating saw and they said, "Lowe's or Home Depot has them." I went to both directly after the show and neither had them. I had one of their business cards so I emailed them to ask where they got the saw. They responded with CPO products (an online tool seller). I ordered a mini-reciprocating saw from CPO for about $85. Got it today; it only accepts jigsaw blades, not the Filletzall blade. Just paid $18 to return it UPS Ground and I still don't have a saw. Had I known it would be this much of a pain I wouldn't have bought the blade.

#29 ·
You can buy the Dexter blade (or any blade), cut off the plastic handle. then take a sawzall blade and use it as a template. Mark off where to trim the new blade and use a dremel tool, or burring tool to shape it the same as the sawzall blade to fit the holder. Drill the hole and test fit. Adjust as necessary. The Dexter is stainless steel and you will need to go slow. It is a hard material. Slower RPM works better on Stainless Steel.

#23 ·
Makita part number to use Filletzall

RJ03R1 Makita was the part number from CPO. I have two coming with the larger battery. That was the part number that I sent you if you read your email . I sent the company first and then the part number so that you would order the wrong part . Sorry you didn't see the second email . It fits a reciprocating saw not a standard jigsaw .

#25 ·
Mikita

Makita RJ01W is the part # from the show . They are available at amazon , Acme Tools , CPO ,Wholesale power tools , Tools Plus and many other online locations . The ones at home depot are virtually the same but with a larger battery . Or you can use any other reciprocating saw that you choose . Sorry you got the wrong one, don't give up , they work better than any other electric knife .

#26 ·
The best lightweight one hand sawzall I know of is made by Milwaukee. 18 volt and bad to the bone. I have a Dewalt as well but it is a bit heavier and awkward but super power. I wonder if one could use a regular reciprocating blade fine tooth 18 TPI or more to do the rough stuff (rib cage) and a regular knife to finish? They are more readily available and cheaper if they would work.

#34 ·
See earlier posts about safety and problems. $50 bucks plus $65 for the sawsall is nothing compared to all the other costs for fishing. I am into ease of preparation for the awesome dinner to come. I also think spending money for a tool that will last a significant time to be money well spent. Shortcuts are an easy way to heartbreak. I hope you make the right decision. Blessings on your fishing time and success.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.