2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Anyone else see the dead alligator gar at Goose Island on Saturday (8/15)

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  barronj 
#1 ·
On the bank opposite the ramp, there was a large fish belly up at the water line. It had a triangular sort of jaw, definitely on the short end of snouts... I didn't see the top side of it, but we guessed it was an alligator gar by the shape of its body and head. I thought it was pretty strange. Did anyone else happen to notice it?

#2 ·
I was crabbing by the pier at sundown. I didn't see it. I did see a young guy run off with a 35" or so redfish he caught "off the end of that pier". Why you would bebon 30"+ reds and leave I don't know. Maybe it was his first.

I hope he didn't just kill it and chuck it in the water.

#3 ·
Copano Bay has alot of Alligator Gar. i have hooked many off the Copano Causeway. Salt water does not seem to bother them.
You should see what a 52M mirrolure looks like after a big gar gets through with it.
I hook most of them using live hardheads with the fins clipped for bait on the 1st or 2nd light on the North side of the Copano Causeway at night.
wire leader and a heavy rod is a must.

#4 · (Edited)
There's big gar all throughout that bay system and most bay systems that are within 15 miles of a river outlet. They do just fine in brackish to salty water. I've hooked and played with plenty of 6-7 footers in that bay since I was a a youngster. Have seen bonafide 8'ers rolling and on our trot lines when I fished Copano Bay as a kid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.