2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Rewarding Trip With Young Fishermen!

2K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  DA REEL DADDY 
#1 ·
Last week I answered the call from my fishing buddy Lester - please give me a hand taking out three of my grandsons. Having fished with two of them before, I gladly accepted the request. Great kids - J is 14, K and B are 16, all are experienced fishermen.

In addition to the satisfaction of keeping three good kids excited about fishing (we boxed 11 nice trout), we ended the day with two good stories, one funny, the other heartwarming.

J was on the foredeck, fishing with a spinning reel on a two-piece rod. He's a good caster and can really chuck a cork. I was next to him, in front of the center console, when he leaned back, gave it a good heave, and made a crazy sound. The rod had separated, sending the front section flying with his line, cork, and shrimp. Of course, much laughing ensued, followed by Lester's observation that his cork had just gone down. Reeling like a pro with half a rod, J brought in the rod tip and an 18" trout, earning the nickname 'Stumpy' in the process. (Not really, that's not a very nice nickname, but we tried it out for a while.) We laughed about that episode for a good ten minutes.

Toward the end of the morning, J was in the lead with 4 trout, followed by his cousin B's 3. I had my head in the live well, looking for the last shrimp as our quart expired. J was giving me a hand and helped corner the last tiny little whisker of a shrimp. B was fishing at the gunnel, but his shrimp was dead. One shrimp left in the boat. J could have used it, protecting his lead, but instead offered it to his cousin. Thirty seconds later, B is reeling in a beautiful 24" trout, the largest of the day, caught on the smallest shrimp. Man, we were proud of these kids!

Photo: me holding B's 24" trout with J at his side. K in the background.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.