2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Sargent report and a surprise 'catch'

7K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  barronj 
#1 ·
Got up early and tripped to Sargent. Expected better conditions than I found. Water was off-color to brown and high tide left little beach to drive on as I arrived. Current was very light all day (high - low during my 7 hours on the beach). ZERO BAIT FISH along the shoreline. Saw maybe 4-5 single large mullet jump while in the water fishing for bait. Threw cast net a hundred times+. Maybe a small shrimp or micro-shad; AND hardheads, but zero fishable bait!

Spent hours in the surf with dead shrimp looking for something for the surf rods. Did manage a few croaker so I was able to get the four rods out. Caught 10 hardheads for every croaker I landed. Hooks came in bare every time (likely crabs).

Landed a Sand Shark (under three foot) and lost a swimmer (likely a shark); that was it fish-wise. HOWEVER, while walking along he shoreline looking for shells, etc., I manage my 'catch of he day.' The second I saw it I said aloud "You've GOT to be kidding!" First arrowhead I have ever found at the beach.

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·

Attachments

#17 ·
Dude that's fantastic.

Ever since I was a kid, I've always found money on the ground, cool artifacts, etc. Still to this day, I always scan the ground, and I constantly find money. We were in Savannah for a trip and someone wanted to take us out to an island to look for mastodon teeth. I didn't find any massive teeth (not 4" teeth), but I found at least 6 black, fossilized shark teeth, I was the only one to find them. I think I've found one arrowhead, and that was at a lakefront park in Austin, Commons Ford.

My neighbor in Rockport and I were talking once, and he said what a fright and sight the Spaniards must have had when they saw the first Karankawa Indians, dark and naked except for the alligator fat/oil they were covered in to ward off mosquitos... that's how he would tell it anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.