2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Need help wiring Flounder lights!

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  backbay2 
#1 ·
Ok, I built a hand held gigging light out of PVC and two 750 watt bulbs. Sealed everything and took it out a week or so later. Problem is once hooked up to my 12v deer feeder battery the lights only stayed lit for about 20-30 minutes. Everything worked great stayed water tight, but it killed my battery. Keep in mind I use this same battery to power my Depth finder on my yak which will power it for multiple hours. What did I do wrong? Maybe wiring? Or are the lights to powerful for the mini battery?

Thanks

YakFisher1

#2 ·
Too much light wattage for the deer battery. Look how little a df uses.

Look at the wattage of the hand held light that people use to walk and gig with and they are 20 to 30 watt bulbs. My hand held is 20 watts and my deer batter will run it for a lot of hrs.

#3 ·
Ok, I built a hand held gigging light out of PVC and two 750 watt bulbs. Sealed everything and took it out a week or so later. Problem is once hooked up to my 12v deer feeder battery the lights only stayed lit for about 20-30 minutes. Everything worked great stayed water tight, but it killed my battery. Keep in mind I use this same battery to power my Depth finder on my yak which will power it for multiple hours. What did I do wrong? Maybe wiring? Or are the lights to powerful for the mini battery?

Thanks

YakFisher1
1500 watt load on a deer feeder battery? I hope you are not serious.
I use 2 watts for mine and Mac builds one that is 20 watts that will light up the world. Here is a little Ohm's law- P=IE , I=P/E , I=1500 W/12 V, I =125 amps. You would need a couple of Cat D 11 batteries to run that thing.
Do a search on this sight for flounder lights and you will find a ton of info.
Post a pic of that beast though, I'd like to see it.

#5 ·
if your battery is a 12volt 10.5Ah that setup will still only last 1 hour and 15 minutes to be precise. Alot of people are using the ones they sell at academy but they are only 7.5ah and if you have this one your looking at 54 minutes of usage on a full charge....
they do sell 12v batteries with higher amperage hours but they just get heavier or outrageously expensive if not heavy

#8 ·
Thanks fellas for the input I think I got it right this time. Built a new one today... Used a 500 lumen LED draws only 8 watts.... Got it rigged on my 12v deer feeder bat (same one used with last set up) and so far so good. If I can figure out how to put pics up I'll post them...

YakFisher1

#16 ·
I wouldn't buy the Oznium ones, unless you feel like you cant get a good seal on the others to keep them waterproof. I have the MR16 type that are brighter than the green ones from oznium and they are half the price. I stick plenty of flounder with the cheaper ones, and I can use them out of the water to see where the alligators are. ;) You can't see anything out of the water with the green ones at a distance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.