2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Sabine Lake mini Bulls

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Ice Cream Man 
#1 ·
Buddy and I waited out the storms and went to Sabine for the afternoon.

Nice calm weather once the storms blew thru.

We had a good day caught a ton of LA sized trout. ;) and some 24" reds but ran in to several schools of the minibulls 29-32 inches and 9-12 pounds.

Note if you have not chased schooling bulls before: BE PREPARED since I have several buddies lose fish at the boat because they were under with 10-12 lb leader. The reds are fun and tough but you need to be able to get the fish in the boat and get back after the school that is usually haulling a--.

Suggestions If you try it?

Long handled net.

I use a med rod that if it gets broken it is not like breaking my expensive corky rod.?. ;)

I throw 30 suffix with 20 pound leader and do not have many break off plus you can horse them "a little? before you lose the schools.

Last year I had two rod rigged and it is fairly easy to have two fish hooked at the same time.

The bait:

Well lots of things will work but I like rattle traps and have tried the regular #4, #2 only to have the bulls chew the trebles up esp with two rods. I now use the live bait hooks that we have talked about for corkies down south in the 2/0 front and 1/0 on the back and so far had no hook problems but the bait has gone from gold to bone in a short time. :)

I have a silver one but the gold keeps working.

Really anything that will throw a mile and make lots of noise. For me regular plastic without noise can fall thru with 100+ crazy reds. Most of the time the rattle trap gets smacked when it hits the water but with the noise I have had them come up and smack the trap away from the schooland with the live bait hooks they are easy to get out and do not get destroyed.

Anyone else have suggestions for catching the school reds?

See less See more
#3 ·
Bait selection is not very important from my experiences with the wolf packs patrolling the lake. In my experiment to see what they wouldn't eat, I caught 3 of them on a plain lead colored/black nickel jig head! As Jim stated, get something that can throw far and it's on from there. Don't use your favorite or most expensive lures because they are going to be mangled when your done!

Also like Jim mentioned, those fish really haul butt. Best thing to do is see where they are headed and run upwind of them several hundred yards and put the trolling motor down so you can quietly get in front of them and intercept them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I do not usually go looking for the schools but will not pass one up if I have the right rod with me.

LA is right as usual they will usually hit anything but when you have one of the real big schools all come up at one time breaking the surface all around in a large area I have tried plastics and personally feel it is hard for the reds to find the plastic in the commotion where as the trap will throw about as far as anything in my box and if it is not smoked soon as it hits the water the depth it runs and rattles make it easy for a ****** off male red to smoke on the fringes of the pack.

The single hooks make it easy to get out and it will not be destroyed like the trebles after catching 4-5 in a row. Be sure to check the line and retie from time when it gets worn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.