2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Texaco sign on edge of Whiterock & jungle

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Sunbeam 
#1 ·
Any of you guys remember the old Texaco sign that used to be out in the water on the N. side of 356 at the old Galloways marina?? If so what was the story with the sign being out there?? My grand parents had a place at the old Coby's marina that was next door to Galloways and I pretty much spent every summer there from up till I was 15 (1983).

#3 ·
I simply thought it was always the brand of gasoline sold there at the old Galloways marina. Galloways was "THE" place back in the late 70's early 80's. Gateway to white rock, caney, salt, and The famous Jungle back in its heyday. Wal Mart used to host a tournament out of there if I recall. Fished it with my father for a few years. First tourney I ever fished in.

#5 ·
Not sure about a bridge, but on the side by the sign there used to be a floating fishing house that was open in the middle that had a fairly long walkway up to the land. This was located really close by the sign, used to go in there and catch a ton of brim for the ol' timers to put on trot lines. I think it sank or was removed not long after hurricane Alicia, the floating fishing house was constructed like the floating docks there in the marina.

#7 ·
I knew it was something like that, I thought it was a brdge. I started fishing the lake in the 60's right after it just was filling up.
Went to Carlisle and turned left and there was nothing but a boat ramp. In order to get to the river we had to drive thru corn fields that still were standing. Caught some big bass doing that with a white spinner made in Pasadena or Deer Park called T & T, and I believe it was made by a man named Tex Austin, super nice guy.

#9 ·
This is going to require some heavy think and remembering. I’ll probably have a headache before it is over,
The Wa****a, Brazos, Trinity and Sabine rail Road ran from Colmesneil to Trinity to Onalaska then to Livingston.
First let me say this rail road had financial problems from day one until it’s final bankruptcy settlement in 1969.
The ownership changed more times than the weather. As they sold bonds to “investors” the name also changes. It was Waco instead of Wa****a, Beaumont instead of Brazos and so on.
The only vestige of the old right of way is near the Brushy Creek bridge where the diversion ditch turned flood water directly into the river under the site of the 190 high bridge.
There is a submerged section of elevated right of way near Penwaugh where it crossed the slough. The rails into the Carter Lumber mill and old Onalaska do not still exist. All of that except some of the streets in the old town are not detectible on sonar.
To the best of my knowledge and fading memory the right of way crossed White Rock creek much farther east of the FM 356 bridge over the creek. I once found the old rail road back in the woods while looking for our deer dogs in about 1967. It was at least eight miles east of the 356 area. But that could have been one of the Carter Bros tram rail roads.
Interesting, the right of way were it joined the GH&WT rail road in Livingston is only a few yards from Shadslingers house.

As for the sign, I was always under the impression that the sign was placed there by the original Mr. Gallaway when they were building the marina.
The reason I say this I remember one TRA/Marina owners meeting where there was a big hullabaloo over the sign. TRA wanted it removed and the owner resisted.
I am afraid I did not take too much notice since all of the TRA meetings were hullabaloos.
If I was there it was because I was mad about another one of their stupid rules and did not take much note of the sign issue.. Can’t remember which problem since there were so many.
Can’t say who won the battle of the sign. Probably a tie. If the owner/builders did something TRA did not like it usually took months or years to resolve. But eventually TRA won because they could fine you. Money talks.

#10 ·
I beleive there is whats left of what looked to be like a old train tressel at the mouth of the cove that used to lead to Coby's marina, (the cove on the backside of Galloway's). Waaay back in the day the ol' timers used to always hang the heads of big catfish on them, that was caught off their trot-lines.

#11 ·
That could be the WBT&S. The old Sanford maps show it following the same general route as the Trinity/Onalaska road which eventually be came FM 356.
The last train into Livingston was in 1954. That was long before the roads were rerouted for the lake.
In the very late 1880's until 1920 Carter Bros Lumber had logging rail roads all through the wood around what is now Lake Livingston.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.