2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

What's your favorite Texas bay system to fish?

3K views 27 replies 28 participants last post by  jigfisher 
#1 ·
I am thinking about moving away from the Houston area. I have a lot free time and could almost fish every afternoon plus weekends. If you could live on any of the bay systems in Texas where would you go?

I've mostly fished Galveston and I am not interested in living down there.

I work from home and can do my job anywhere in the state so work is not a factor.

I will probably start taking some trips to different areas and go out with some guides.

Just looking for suggestions as a starting point.

#8 ·
Tough question but I agree W/ Anderson Guide service. Rockport area has been my favorite for decades. Seems like you can always find protected water during the hard blows and the area in general is just plain beautiful. The town of Rockport just gives you a feel of being on the coast like no other location. A short tow north or south and you can fish more bays than anywhere I can think of. I lived down there for a short while during the late '80s and really enjoyed it.
www.solarscreenguys.com

#11 ·
I need to get out more!
East Galveston bay is my go to. I grew up on EB and the north jetties with my Dad.
I've fished it all my life. Never put the boat in any other body of water.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

#16 ·
I like where I'm at in Portland. I can be in Nueces Bay in 5 minutes, Aransas or Copano Bay in 20 minutes, fishing the ULM in 30 minutes, or launching at Bird Island to fish Baffin in 40 minutes. If I want to drive down to fish Baffin or up to fish Matty I can be sitting on the water in an hour and a half. I only fish weekends during hunting season in any of these bays unless its very nasty cold weather. I can't stand ignorant fisherman or crowds. :)

#17 ·
Fished the Galveston Bay complex my whole life and getting tired of all the clowns. This is why I agree with Rack Ranch about the Corpus area. I am also in your same shoes relative to work, but need to stay put until the kiddos are out of school for now. I have fished down there off and on since the 70's and agree the water is much better down that way. I plan on fishing down there alot more from this point forward...

#21 ·
Been on NPI almost 7 years and even in that relatively short period of time have seen the area change from sleepy afterthought to destination fishery ... it's still one of the best areas on the coast for a great variety of angling and water close at hand ... I just don't see how it can stay a good area with all the folks moving in ... it's still pretty quiet during the week whether fishing the ULM or Baffin or even CC bay and north ... but weekends and the 3 months of summer are getting crazy ... sad_smiles ... I suppose it would be nice to have a place on Baffin somewhere ... because of it looking a little like a lizard's foot there are many miles of shoreline that most people on day trips haven't got time to fish and there's the Land Cut and the Port Mansfield Channel is not far for offshore days ...

#27 ·
ULM/Baffin is indeed very crowded on weekends/holidays however if you avoid those days, most of the time traffic is very light. When you live here you have the luxury of being able to fish weekdays and do something else on the weekends. I typically fish sun-thurs and for the most part there are very few people on the water.

Now if you want to fish Saturday mornings between spring break and football season? Forget about it, the ICW looks like i45.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.