2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Green Rod Warranty

5K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  RogerTherk 
#1 ·
Over the years, I've seen several Green Rod Warranty questions. I like the green rod myself so I've wondered about it too. Yesterday, while at FTU, I stayed close by while a young man was attempting to replace a green rod. The whole situation was ugly. The FTU staff member claimed there was no replacement warranty, while the boy said when he purchased the rod at Christmas, he was told Green Rods have lifetime replacement warranty. Both of these people were arguing and I would say it was very unprofessional on both sides. Had it been me returning the rod, I would have just walked out after hearing the staff member raising his voice. The boy finally did get his replacement rod, but he had to argue it out with the member of staff. In my opinion, it was not worth it. Bottom line is ,FTU do not have a replacement warranty on their Green Rod.

#7 ·
Yes their warranty has changed. Back when McBride fronted for them they had the lifetime then it went to a 1 year warranty with sales ticket iirc.

I have several of the gray and green ftu rods.

I took one back several years ago to the main FTU and got the older gentleman and the rod was bought before the new written policy was in place. He was nice and replaced it but I did get a little scolding about bring in a 3-4 year old rod.

He asked me if I felt guilty about bringing in a rod that old and I told him "NO" not at all since they had the "life time" at the time I bought it and had the sales ticket.

Should not have had the life time if they did not plan to honor it. I had several other older ftu rods but never went back to see if the "old" sales ticket was still good.

FTU used to have great sales on both rods at the fishing show but last year the sale was not that good otherwise I would have gotten a couple of more.

I like them and I think they are a good rod and really like them but they are still made overseas in bulk China or ? and not custom made here by locals though the price leans toward custom cost.

#8 ·
Pretty ridiculous

First of all, that was me you saw in the store. Second of all, i do not regret getting into an argument with this employee named Kerry. FTU promised me a lifetime warranty on my rod when i spent close to $300 on it a few months ago, and im not going to get scammed by their BS they try to pull on all their customers. Glojim, I asked for the manager and it only ****** this dude off. He got up in my face and stared me in the eyes for a solid 10 seconds before walking away. Great customer service! After arguing with this man for a solid 15 minutes he finally handed me my rod and said "take it and leave" Gotta agree with Philip, dont expect FTU to honor their warranty!

#10 ·
First of all, that was me you saw in the store. Second of all, i do not regret getting into an argument with this employee named Kerry. FTU promised me a lifetime warranty on my rod when i spent close to $300 on it a few months ago, and im not going to get scammed by their BS they try to pull on all their customers. Glojim, I asked for the manager and it only ****** this dude off. He got up in my face and stared me in the eyes for a solid 10 seconds before walking away. Great customer service! After arguing with this man for a solid 15 minutes he finally handed me my rod and said "take it and leave" Gotta agree with Philip, dont expect FTU to honor their warranty!
Which location was this?

#9 ·
A rod warranty is only as good as the builder's integrity. It isn't worth the paper it's printed on or the air it takes the salesman to say it.

I had a similar issue with another local builder's "$30 flat replacement fee, over the counter, lifetime warranty". It wasn't any of the above when it came time to use it.

#11 ·
I would call back and talk with the manager of that location. I would guess that he heard nothing about this at all or a version that he got was a little different than your version. ;)

They have been posting that one year warranty now for 3-4 years?

Still there is no reason to be rude except for a last resort and if he was the sales person this should have been referred to the manager or person in charge of that department to make the call.

But if you had it two- three months then that falls into the 1 year warranty esp if you had the bos.

#16 ·
I purchased my Green Rod at the '12 fishing show at McBride's advice. Three more were then sold to my friends . After 2 years the lure holder ring rusted off. I remove reels and rinse handles/seats after each weekly use. I presented this to a Katy Fwy FTU associate and was told that the warranty only covers the blank....disappointing. Within months, several of the pricey Recoil guide feet have come loose from their wraps ; I repaired myself. I like the rod, however, I would skip the recoil guides as braid tends to foul in them. Been spending my fishing bucks with Donnie @ POC Rod and Gun....great store and personalized service.

#17 ·
I had a problem with a rod I purchased with a lifetime warranty. Not real expensive rod which I paid $99. Right after a year, I broke rod and I took the rod back to selling store and expected them to honor the warranty. No, they said to call the rod factory. I called and $30 plus shipping and they will ship me a new rod and I also had to ship broken rod section back to them. Since I only broke 2 inches from tip I just put a new tip on the rod. Can't tell much difference from new. So much for lifetime warranty. Selling dealer said they have no warranty just the factory replacement policy. I guess I would expect if lifetime replacement, factory should have replacement policy with selling dealer. Reimbursement back to dealer for broken rods.

#18 ·
FTU

Don't buy FTU rods! Have had 2 of them both broke near the tip and FTU would not warranty the rod without me paying a fee near $100. From what I heard they are made overseas in bulk and FTU makes a killing in profit off them.

#21 ·
I really don't get it, these rod breakage/rod warranty threads, so many people reporting poor performance, and not only FTU Green but plenty other well-respected brands as well.

I'm 64 and been fishing since I could walk. I fish hard and do not baby my tackle, although I am also careful not to abuse it. I fish lots of days in lots of places that requires transporting my tackle via automobile, airlines, and of course, in boats. I ran a fishing charter business for eleven years and hauled average three clients on 100- to 120-charters per year.

In my entire career I can only recall breaking three or four rods in what I would call normal fishing activity. My charter clients might have broken a similar number. So I simply have to ask...what the heck are you guys doing to your rods?

#23 ·
I really don't get it, these rod breakage/rod warranty threads, so many people reporting poor performance, and not only FTU Green but plenty other well-respected brands as well.

I'm 64 and been fishing since I could walk. I fish hard and do not baby my tackle, although I am also careful not to abuse it. I fish lots of days in lots of places that requires transporting my tackle via automobile, airlines, and of course, in boats. I ran a fishing charter business for eleven years and hauled average three clients on 100- to 120-charters per year.

In my entire career I can only recall breaking three or four rods in what I would call normal fishing activity. My charter clients might have broken a similar number. So I simply have to ask...what the heck are you guys doing to your rods?
I haven't broken very many. At least not without something happening to it that is outside of it's normal use. But it happens. I have had 2 or 3 brand new rods break that just flat out had something wrong with them. I've broken a few others that were not a manufacturing or component issue.

I think the issue comes from overpromising on rod warranties and then not being willing to deliver. Don't promise something unrealistic or unsustainable and then go back on the super incredible warranty you used to sell the rod when the customer brings a broken rod in.

#24 ·
When FTU had the lifetime warranty it was taken advantage of by people that would go buy a rod and then decide they didn't like the action so they would break it and take it back for a different action. Don't think it didn't happen because some of the people on this site would come in here and brag about it. That's why companies have a hard time with warranties when you have what I will call low life's trying to take advantage of something. I used green rods and had one break while fighting a fish and they replaced it no problem.

#26 ·
I bought mine before the "Specialty Rod Craze" at least ten years ago, maybe more.
First one the tip was broken, something I did I'm sure and they replaced it, no questions asked.
2nd time I had my wife with me and I tried to cast into the wind around her and hooked the top of backrest and the rod snapped halfway down the shaft.
Took it in GF store and a lady manager came over with a new rod and gave me a receipt that said this would be the last one for free. Don't know what the receipt was for since I wouldn't use it if I had to go back and replace the rod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.