2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

East Matty Report

14K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Salty Dog 
#1 ·
With a great weather forecast, decided to give East Matagorda a shot yesterday. At least the weather was great.... Entered at Old Cut and zoomed down to the tripod and fished the shoreline/near shore all the way around to Hog Island. Shallow. Deep. Drops. Reasonable amount of bait - but very comfortable bait. Caught an occasional rat red and one keeper spec out of a zillion casts. Moved to midbay humps late afternoon with zero to show for it. Water conditions were good. Strong incoming tide all afternoon. Filleted my one lonely spec at the marina cleaning station. Pretty much the same luck for everyone else except a couple of boat that had gone offshore and they did well. Where the heck are the fish in the bay? I've had the same results the last couple of trips down there.

#2 ·
We fished the other end of the Bay (N shoreline) Sunday for a solid six hours, throwing tops and plastic around scattered bait. Water looked good, but could't find cooperative fish. Had few blow-ups but no hook-ups; caught some sandies on plastic. Hoping this first real cold front gets them going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#21 ·
12-26-16

My son and I drove the 140mls from Liberty to Matagorda Harbor yesterday on a recon trip to check everything out...and to give me a break from working on our boat non-stop since June...saw this Guide and client cleaning their fish from East Matty Bay and thought I would share....check the Golden Croaker!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.