2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Tackle Box / Wading Belt

14K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  rjc1982 
#1 ·
Its about that time for a new tackle box and a new wading belt. I have used different types of both, but am looking for your suggestions on what you guys prefer. H20 Express has some nice looking medium size tackle boxes. Throw 80% soft plastics, have gear for bait fishing as well.

As far as the wading belt goes, almost leaning towards an over the shoulder type rig, but not sure since i have never used that style.

Economical options as always.

Thanks for the suggestion 2coolers.

#2 ·
#3 ·
I purchased Magellans version of the Sling Pack tha goes over your shoulder. BUT you must change out the 2 tackle boxes they give you with the Plano ones that do not let water in because your hooks will rust if you use the ones the give you. So just break out another $10 if you have it and make your set up like this.........
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_13963_-1?color=Taupe&Ntt=sling+pack&Ntk=All this is the sling pack
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_12133_-1?N=97010236+4294967130 buy 2 of these seperate.

#4 ·
Fishnhunt makes some great gear. Adam is top notch when it comes to customer service. His products are great they hold up and are very comfortable to wear all day. They can be bought at just about every academy. I'm sure there are other brands but I'm am talking about what I know about

#15 ·
I thought about using one of the Plano Stowaway waterproof boxes in my over the shoulder bag but decided against it. If I change baits I will then have a wet lure in my box that and I will have to remember to pull it, and any others that I used, out to rinse off later. I decided it was easier to just rinse out the entire box after each trip.

#6 ·
You want something lightweight, virtually waterproof, easily accessible, not in the way and organized for both soft plastics and topwaters/corkies. It's also very easy to make.

You want to buy two of the boxes (or three, would be a little big) from academy. Buy the stowaway bigger plano one (not the deep one) for your tops and corkies. Then buy the Plano "Medium crankbait organizer" for your soft plastics.

From there you will want to buy some water-proof velcro or any heavy duty velcro will work. You will use it on the top of your stowaway box.

On the bigger waterproof plano stowaway you will see some spots to drill. From there just thread some rope or some comfy strap and you're good to go.

I have put some pics in of what mine looks like. It's awesome because it's super lightweight and carries everything I need. It carries about 10-12 topwaters, 12 corkies and 12-18 packs of soft plastics. The best part is you can leave the soft plastics in the original packaging and just chunk em in there so they don't lose shape or scent. I also put my jig heads in there with my soft plastics with the original packaging.

Here are some pics of what you want to go for:

Attachments

#13 ·
Looks strangely familiar :p

You want something lightweight, virtually waterproof, easily accessible, not in the way and organized for both soft plastics and topwaters/corkies. It's also very easy to make.

You want to buy two of the boxes (or three, would be a little big) from academy. Buy the stowaway bigger plano one (not the deep one) for your tops and corkies. Then buy the Plano "Medium crankbait organizer" for your soft plastics.

From there you will want to buy some water-proof velcro or any heavy duty velcro will work. You will use it on the top of your stowaway box.

On the bigger waterproof plano stowaway you will see some spots to drill. From there just thread some rope or some comfy strap and you're good to go.

I have put some pics in of what mine looks like. It's awesome because it's super lightweight and carries everything I need. It carries about 10-12 topwaters, 12 corkies and 12-18 packs of soft plastics. The best part is you can leave the soft plastics in the original packaging and just chunk em in there so they don't lose shape or scent. I also put my jig heads in there with my soft plastics with the original packaging.

Here are some pics of what you want to go for:

#7 ·
I'll add to all of that and say that the reason I chose to forgo the wading boxes enclosed in the material pack type stuff is that when it gets wet it starts to get heavy and I don't like dealing with it. Not to mention my hooks get stuck in it and it just ends up being more trouble than it's worth since it will never be completely waterproof anyways. This is the closest thing to water-proof I have come up with. If everything is latched down tight with your hooks out of the way it will be pretty much waterproof.

#14 ·
#18 · (Edited)
Depends on where you are wading.

I have two.

Regular around the waist belt that I use for shallow water wading because I carry a curado on a FTU rod and a spinning reel with the same type of rod.

Board Member Shane Smeche used to sell a back pack wading set up that is nice for deep wading. Deeper winter wading and the backpack does a nice job keeping the spare reel out of the water unlike like the waist belts. He was going to make a few revisions but never did another run of the backpacks because he got busy at work.

Fish with a buddy that just sticks the spare rod down the back of his waders and does fine.

GH- what does it do? lean all the time? not stable? stay in position?

If it was one of the belts that had the elastic mesh for the plastic holder to fit in it is an easy fix.

Take a torch, big nail, and the belt. Fig out where you want the holder to stabilize then heat the nail up and burn two holes in the belt at the top and bottom of the holder on both sides.

Make the holes slightly smaller than the holder so when you run the tie wraps thru the holes you can cinch the holder tight. Pull the tie wraps tight so you can hide the rough ends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.