2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

I'v been upside down in four different boats

42K views 125 replies 76 participants last post by  pmgoffjr 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I'v been upside down in four different boats
[

What's up with that? I've turtled a Hobie cat a few times but didn't think it was common on a power boat. A buddy of mine goosed his John Boat once and with all the weight in the rear it flipped backwards over him. He only did it once though. How about sharing a few of your stories?

#12 ·
I know I've read about a few close calls with you outside of your last flip on that $70,000 Jon boat you had. Some were at night. Dude... There is something seriously wrong with what you are doing.

I know accidents can happen at anytime, and I say a prayer every time I live the ramp, but c'mon man!!

#13 ·
Hell, i havent even flipped a kayak yet and ive been in some rough arse water! Ive been to the big jetties in poc and came back in three to fives in a twelve foot flat bottom and kept it topside up. I heard the flipped boatright story where you got hung on a submerged barge in sabine, flipped it and you repowered it and sold it to a guide...what happened the other three times? Just want to hear the stories, it may help someone learn what not to do.

http://www.fishingscout.com/anglers/SmackDaddy

#15 ·
Not living right, maybe. Is not karma, I'm too busy licking wounds to mess with anyone. I think the man upstairs just has a very funny sense of humor. Or maybe he is preparing me for something special, Here is a list of things over the last twenty years, some my fault others not, but each has a good story.

1- First boat down around 1993 in Fayett county 12 ft river john with 9.9 tiller. Swam the 9.9 about a hundred yards to the bank, almost drowned trying to save that little motor but I was more scared of Jim Thompson "my buddies dad who owned the motor" than I was of drowning.

2- Dollar point-1994 stingray through the leg just inside the achilles. ER room- several month recovery, I do not recommend this one

3-Matagorda Troutmasters tourney- my partner hooks me in the face and neck with a mirror lure. ER room and back to tourney. not too bad

4- Matagorda late November 2001 stuck my Soalwater( south shoreline east end) on a Wednesday evening no cell phone, by myself, spent the night out there as a cold front rolled through. That one sucked

5- East bay Galveston in December 2003 rolled over into 55 degree water. The worst part about that one was the mosquito attack at the refuge during the night trying to get the boat back on the trailer by hand. All the mosquito spray was in the bay and i looked like some peppered my face with number 8 shot for about a week. Good memories

6- 2004 Hauling tail in skinny shell north of Bird Island East Matagorda, I launched my self off my boat an onto an exposed shell bed razor bed". ER doc picked shell out of my hands and *** for a while. That was just plain stupid. I knew it was going to happen but I just couldn't stop myself

7. 2010 Trinity marsh , I was with Sarge,Harry and Emmit and we were cruising along in an Air boat on dry land shooting hogs when we hit a cane patch and went air born. As I was flying through the air with a loaded shotgun in my hand I was just praying that I would not shoot my buddies. When we come to a stop me and Sarge were under the boat with the motor still running and fuel pouring everywhere in a pile of dried cane. Perfect recipe to roast us up right there. On that one when I got out from under the boat, I walked over to act like I was going to pee, and had a little chat with the man up stairs and said are you trying to tell me something. At that moment four other air-boats pulled up to rescue us so I took it as a sign that he wanted me to keep playing.

8. I still don't know how I did this one- 2011- David and I were on the Boatright on the San Jack river bow-fishing. We both drew back on a large fish and 1-2-3 pop. I feel the bow string slap me in the face and as I reach up I feel the arrow going into my face and out the side of my neck. So I did what any good ******* would and try to pull it out but it keeps hanging up on the slide stopper. I tell David to get a screwdriver and unscrew the stopper so I can get this fu#$%ing thing out of my face. It slides out easy and didn't hurt near as much as you would think. We looked for that fish for a little bit but decided I should probably go to the ER.

9. OCT 2012- David,Sarge and myself donated a trip for a fundraiser for ****-dog that has terminal cancer. So we head out to Sabine for a fishing, gigging combo. Once it gets dark we head down the ICW and get hung up on a sunken barge, "no big deal" right. About 30 minutes later of pushing pulling we managed to tuner over one bad *** boatright. My last words to David as I was in the water standing on the barge, were "don't worry I got It, hammer down" my bad. Everyone was ok and our buddy that is dying from cancer had the best attitude. Quote from ****-Dog " its all just a bunch of $##t that you cant take with you"

Hope you enjoyed, feel free to have fun at my expense because as you can see I can take it
lol

Keith Varner

#27 ·
:biggrin:
Not living right, maybe. Is not karma, I'm too busy licking wounds to mess with anyone. I think the man upstairs just has a very funny sense of humor. Or maybe he is preparing me for something special, Here is a list of things over the last twenty years, some my fault others not, but each has a good story.

1- First boat down around 1993 in Fayett county 12 ft river john with 9.9 tiller. Swam the 9.9 about a hundred yards to the bank, almost drowned trying to save that little motor but I was more scared of Jim Thompson "my buddies dad who owned the motor" than I was of drowning.

2- Dollar point-1994 stingray through the leg just inside the achilles. ER room- several month recovery, I do not recommend this one

3-Matagorda Troutmasters tourney- my partner hooks me in the face and neck with a mirror lure. ER room and back to tourney. not too bad

4- Matagorda late November 2001 stuck my Soalwater( south shoreline east end) on a Wednesday evening no cell phone, by myself, spent the night out there as a cold front rolled through. That one sucked

5- East bay Galveston in December 2003 rolled over into 55 degree water. The worst part about that one was the mosquito attack at the refuge during the night trying to get the boat back on the trailer by hand. All the mosquito spray was in the bay and i looked like some peppered my face with number 8 shot for about a week. Good memories

6- 2004 Hauling tail in skinny shell north of Bird Island East Matagorda, I launched my self off my boat an onto an exposed shell bed razor bed". ER doc picked shell out of my hands and *** for a while. That was just plain stupid. I knew it was going to happen but I just couldn't stop myself

7. 2010 Trinity marsh , I was with Sarge,Harry and Emmit and we were cruising along in an Air boat on dry land shooting hogs when we hit a cane patch and went air born. As I was flying through the air with a loaded shotgun in my hand I was just praying that I would not shoot my buddies. When we come to a stop me and Sarge were under the boat with the motor still running and fuel pouring everywhere in a pile of dried cane. Perfect recipe to roast us up right there. On that one when I got out from under the boat, I walked over to act like I was going to pee, and had a little chat with the man up stairs and said are you trying to tell me something. At that moment four other air-boats pulled up to rescue us so I took it as a sign that he wanted me to keep playing.

8. I still don't know how I did this one- 2011- David and I were on the Boatright on the San Jack river bow-fishing. We both drew back on a large fish and 1-2-3 pop. I feel the bow string slap me in the face and as I reach up I feel the arrow going into my face and out the side of my neck. So I did what any good ******* would and try to pull it out but it keeps hanging up on the slide stopper. I tell David to get a screwdriver and unscrew the stopper so I can get this fu#$%ing thing out of my face. It slides out easy and didn't hurt near as much as you would think. We looked for that fish for a little bit but decided I should probably go to the ER.

9. OCT 2012- David,Sarge and myself donated a trip for a fundraiser for ****-dog that has terminal cancer. So we head out to Sabine for a fishing, gigging combo. Once it gets dark we head down the ICW and get hung up on a sunken barge, "no big deal" right. About 30 minutes later of pushing pulling we managed to tuner over one bad *** boatright. My last words to David as I was in the water standing on the barge, were "don't worry I got It, hammer down" my bad. Everyone was ok and our buddy that is dying from cancer had the best attitude. Quote from ****-Dog " its all just a bunch of $##t that you cant take with you"

Hope you enjoyed, feel free to have fun at my expense because as you can see I can take it
lol

Keith Varner
It's not all bad
March 2010 Team Varnarge was born. Other than Varners family this is arguably his greatest creation... Lol

#26 ·
if you do something enough things will catch up with you. more reason to slow down, think things through and err on the side of caution. more time i spend on the water the more i realize of the things that could go wrong. had a bone pop out of my finger a year ago. airboat incident was definitely high on the pucker factor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.