2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Scb recon

79K views 80 replies 39 participants last post by  Rippin_drag 
#1 · (Edited)
FINALLY - The plug is done!

Finish waxing it on Saturday & start building the mold on Monday AM.

Will take most of two weeks to laminate, cage, pull and prep the new mold.

Production RECON's start hitting the water in April.

Already over a dozen on order. Configurations including: Consoles Floor Mounted, Riser Boxes, & Top Drives w/ Mercury power from 200-300, and Yamaha 250 SHO's w TRP.

I will post progress pics of the mold building process for those interested.

SCB Factory

Attachments

See less See more
#13 · (Edited)
The step introduces air bubbles to disrupt friction (tension) between the water and the hull giving it more slip in turn allowing it to go faster with all other things being equal (motor, prop, weight, etc). Ever notice your boat will run a little better/faster in a slight chop as opposed to glassy conditions? Did you feel the boat speed up a bit when crossing a slight wake? Same thing...

#15 · (Edited)
Air pocket - think along the lines of a ram air system you see on high speed racing cats. On these setups compressed air helps lift and lighten the boat so the faster it goes. Also makes for a softer ride at higher speeds over rough conditions (within reason).

This Recon appears to have a smaller air pocket than some of the others with larger sponsons allowing it to run shallower at lower speeds (more hull displacement). Eric would the one answer as to just what he's looking to achieve on the sizes of each. I'm guessing a stable platform at rest with shallow draft at rest with most of the benefits of his higher speed cats using the air pocket, even if it is smaller.

Guessing this boat could see close to the mid-70's with a 300 on it.

Don't confuse SCB hulls with normal cats. Most cats do not have a ram air setup nor do they get the associated benefits like the SCB's.

Also, don't confuse these with tunnel hulls that start amidship... Tunnels will normally suck the boat down to ensure water is fed to the prop. This limits top end speed and surely you have seen the posts of people trying to gain a little speed on a tunnel hull that they feel should be going faster. The tunnel is the speed killer... Sure it will run a bit shallower, but speed is the sacrifice. The sucking down effect of the tunnel also makes for a rougher ride and pounding. Don't miss my tunnel at all for that reason!

#16 ·
Moreover...

I would suggest the steps and notches are intended to vent the full tunnel and not necessarily introduce air bubbles. The air bubbles in fact are a nuisance and become aerated water at the transom, which the designer aims to avoid as it limits prop "grab" and causes cavitation at varying levels. The ultimate goal is to reduce the suction effects on the hull created by the vacuum properties of a hull that sucks water upwards, and thus, the hull down to the water.

Search Venturi Effect to get more detail on what I believe Eric is trying to achieve with this design.

As for the air pocket, search Albert Hickman and sea sled to get detail from the original designer of the last century who introduced the idea of running on an air pocket.

#29 ·
Sorry, meant Loose. Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure the proper term, but when my Blue Wave super tunnel 22' with 200hp gets a scary feeling at top end with a bit of chop etc. Loose or squirrelly would be what I'd call it, not sure the proper term, but I Don't like it!
When will your site be up again?

Thanks,

Todd

#41 ·
I don't know what model your looking in to, but my good friend has a stingray with a 250 mercury and he gets up in about 16" with a good prop, drafts 12-13" loaded and runs low 70's light. Draft while running with a cat hull depends on it's speed because at different speeds the displacement varies.. Cat hull feature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.