Alligator Gar in Tiki canal - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 05-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
Knotty Fly
Registered Users-pm+

Knotty Fly has been promoted to PirateKnotty Fly has been promoted to PirateKnotty Fly has been promoted to PirateKnotty Fly has been promoted to PirateKnotty Fly has been promoted to PirateKnotty Fly has been promoted to PirateKnotty Fly has been promoted to PirateKnotty Fly has been promoted to PirateKnotty Fly has been promoted to PirateKnotty Fly has been promoted to PirateKnotty Fly has been promoted to Pirate
Alligator Gar in Tiki canal

I was fishing with the Kido's off of our doc in Tiki and my Daughter snagged a Alligator gar. She got him to the doc, but before I could net him it broke her mono. I didn't think they lived in saltwater, but after reading about them on Wikipedia, they do. Anyone ever caught one in the bay? I use to catch them as a kid all the time up the Trinity.
Knotty Fly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
redfish_slayer1
Registered Users-pm+

redfish_slayer1 has been promoted to Pirateredfish_slayer1 has been promoted to Pirateredfish_slayer1 has been promoted to Pirateredfish_slayer1 has been promoted to Pirateredfish_slayer1 has been promoted to Pirateredfish_slayer1 has been promoted to Pirateredfish_slayer1 has been promoted to Pirateredfish_slayer1 has been promoted to Pirateredfish_slayer1 has been promoted to Pirateredfish_slayer1 has been promoted to Pirateredfish_slayer1 has been promoted to Pirate
Are you on the canal in Tiki off Paradise with that little section of marsh right next to you? I was talking with a neighbor in Tiki looking at his pool and he sad he regularly sees alligator gar in his canal- he is off Paradise with the marsh section in his canal.

A few years back I saw a gar, I think alligator gar in my over-water lights off my dock. Pretty cool stuff. Was also in Calcasieu and saw a gar right by the wears in the marsh. Cool stuff to be seeing them in saltwater.
redfish_slayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
Bird
No fish in West Bay

Bird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to Pirate
I've caught a couple of them behind the house. One 54lbs and the other was significantly bigger but we broke him off on purpose at the dock. We see them all the time out here.
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
Mustad7731
Registered Users-pm+

Mustad7731 has been promoted to PirateMustad7731 has been promoted to PirateMustad7731 has been promoted to PirateMustad7731 has been promoted to PirateMustad7731 has been promoted to PirateMustad7731 has been promoted to PirateMustad7731 has been promoted to PirateMustad7731 has been promoted to PirateMustad7731 has been promoted to PirateMustad7731 has been promoted to PirateMustad7731 has been promoted to Pirate
Cool Alligator Gar Habitat

I've caught alligator gar up near Baytown, in Burnett Bay, lots of them...up to 6'4"
most in the 40 to 50 lb range. I've also caught them in Palcious Bay...

Most live in fresh water, but there are some that make brackish water and salt water
their home...I've not heard of them in the gulf, but I guess that is possible too.

Mustad7731
Jack
Mustad7731 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
Mr. Breeze
Just call me Breeze

Mr. Breeze has been promoted to PirateMr. Breeze has been promoted to PirateMr. Breeze has been promoted to PirateMr. Breeze has been promoted to PirateMr. Breeze has been promoted to PirateMr. Breeze has been promoted to PirateMr. Breeze has been promoted to PirateMr. Breeze has been promoted to PirateMr. Breeze has been promoted to PirateMr. Breeze has been promoted to PirateMr. Breeze has been promoted to Pirate
Yep, all over the bay, Terramar has one also. Hulla might have a picture? Even has a nickname. lol
Mr. Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
Law Dog
Registered Users-pm+

Law Dog has been promoted to PirateLaw Dog has been promoted to PirateLaw Dog has been promoted to PirateLaw Dog has been promoted to PirateLaw Dog has been promoted to PirateLaw Dog has been promoted to PirateLaw Dog has been promoted to PirateLaw Dog has been promoted to PirateLaw Dog has been promoted to PirateLaw Dog has been promoted to PirateLaw Dog has been promoted to Pirate
I've caught a couple of them in our canals on the Westend of galveston..
Law Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #7
gater
Gater

gater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirate
Gar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotty Fly View Post
I was fishing with the Kido's off of our doc in Tiki and my Daughter snagged a Alligator gar. She got him to the doc, but before I could net him it broke her mono. I didn't think they lived in saltwater, but after reading about them on Wikipedia, they do. Anyone ever caught one in the bay? I use to catch them as a kid all the time up the Trinity.
For gar saltwater is no problem, The bays and waterfront canals have plenty of them. Never use "I didn't think they could live" in a sentence when talking about gar. They can live in the back of your truck for a couple of days in July with no problem.....

Personal best from Tiki is 5'-10" and 85lbs. Have seen a few in there that would go bigger.

Gater
gater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #8
Upchurch85
Banned

Upchurch85 Upchurch85 Upchurch85 Upchurch85 Upchurch85 Upchurch85 Upchurch85 Upchurch85 Upchurch85 Upchurch85 Upchurch85
terramar beast

Haha wade Terramar often and see that beast rolling.
Upchurch85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 01:18 AM   #9
speckcaster
still casting for that 30" sow..

speckcaster has been promoted to Piratespeckcaster has been promoted to Piratespeckcaster has been promoted to Piratespeckcaster has been promoted to Piratespeckcaster has been promoted to Piratespeckcaster has been promoted to Piratespeckcaster has been promoted to Piratespeckcaster has been promoted to Piratespeckcaster has been promoted to Piratespeckcaster has been promoted to Piratespeckcaster has been promoted to Pirate
Have a buddy who had an old floating fishing cabin on Hall's bayou .... over the years we caught a bunch of 6' plus gars @ night while drinking beers and BSing about the days fishing.....those things can live just about anywhere!

speckcaster
speckcaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 06:07 AM   #10
u wont know if u dont go
Registered Users-pm+

u wont know if u dont go has been promoted to Pirateu wont know if u dont go has been promoted to Pirateu wont know if u dont go has been promoted to Pirateu wont know if u dont go has been promoted to Pirateu wont know if u dont go has been promoted to Pirateu wont know if u dont go has been promoted to Pirateu wont know if u dont go has been promoted to Pirateu wont know if u dont go has been promoted to Pirateu wont know if u dont go has been promoted to Pirateu wont know if u dont go has been promoted to Pirateu wont know if u dont go has been promoted to Pirate
seen one in seabrook lagoon about 7ft and look to b 100lbs or so.........it was huge..
u wont know if u dont go is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message