Wheel Bearing help - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 01-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
Gofish2day
Registered Users-pm+

Gofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to Pirate
Wheel Bearing help

Looking for some advice on wheel bearings. My bearings were replaced about 5yrs ago and now I would like to change these out for new. I checked Kapt Kirks marine but they wanted about $300 to change bearings and seals. Yes, I can change these. Been there done that but the bearing race is a real pain to get out the hub. Bearings and races must be changed to do it right.

This is a 2005 kenner boat trailer.

Here is the question, do any of you just buy the entire bearing assy for about $40 and just replace it? Is it as good as the factory Hub already on the boat? The pic is of a bearing assy I purchased about 3yrs ago to use in case a bearing goes out on the road. With this assy - 20min and I am back on the road again. Good for emergency but what about changing and using daily?
Attached Images

Gofish2day is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #2
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
I keep a spare spindle with full hub and swing arm as my spare tire carrier. Any bearing/hub issue and the whole spindle out gets thrown out and new full assembly put back on.

To answer your question more directly no reason to mess with redoing bearings. Remove ful hub....replace full hub. Vault axles if you have to go that route otherwise vortex hubs are five year no maintenance warranty. McClain Trailers for parts.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 04:40 PM   #3
Viking48
Registered Users-pm+

Viking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to Pirate
The first thing I would look at is country of origin. Currently there is only one manufacturer that makes tapered roller bearings in the US and that is NTN/Bower. Timken moved their production to China and are supposedly making them under their own guidelines but I have heard some (unsubstantiated) comments on quality. Personally, after spending 40 years selling bearings I wouldn't put Chinese bearings on a kid's wagon. I would go to a bearing distributor such as Motion Industries, DXP, Applied Industrial etc (not an auto parts house) and order bearings and seals and change them out. Hub kits are great for emergency breakdowns only in my opinion. I would have the bearing distributor order the bearings if necessary and would stick to the two I mentioned earlier. For what it's worth, I've never had to replace a bearing on the side of the road. Good luck.
Viking48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 04:40 PM   #4
southpaw
Microskiff Mafia

southpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
Any bearing/hub issue and the whole spindle out gets thrown out and new full assembly put back on.
^^^ This. If you the spindle gets any damage (scratches, etc) it'll never seat well again and you'll just continue replacing bearings
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
Huntandfishaggie
Registered Users-pm+

Huntandfishaggie has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHuntandfishaggie has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHuntandfishaggie has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHuntandfishaggie has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHuntandfishaggie has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHuntandfishaggie has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHuntandfishaggie has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHuntandfishaggie has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHuntandfishaggie has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHuntandfishaggie has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHuntandfishaggie has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
I replace my bearings, races, and dust covers and repack the grease every year in salt water. Probably overkill but I like projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntandfishaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #6
Gofish2day
Registered Users-pm+

Gofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for the input. I have not broken down and not planning to either. That is why I am questioning the replacement of the entire hub. I agree with the quality statement and not to use Chinese.
Gofish2day is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #7
c hook
Registered Users-pm+

c hook has been promoted to the rank of Riggerc hook has been promoted to the rank of Riggerc hook has been promoted to the rank of Riggerc hook has been promoted to the rank of Riggerc hook has been promoted to the rank of Riggerc hook has been promoted to the rank of Riggerc hook has been promoted to the rank of Riggerc hook has been promoted to the rank of Riggerc hook has been promoted to the rank of Riggerc hook has been promoted to the rank of Riggerc hook has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Because I own Aamco Total Car Care I buy bearings and have my guys replace them.
c hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 10:45 PM   #8
TOM WEBER
Cazadora

TOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
I keep a spare spindle with full hub and swing arm as my spare tire carrier. Any bearing/hub issue and the whole spindle out gets thrown out and new full assembly put back on.

To answer your question more directly no reason to mess with redoing bearings. Remove ful hub....replace full hub. Vault axles if you have to go that route otherwise vortex hubs are five year no maintenance warranty. McClain Trailers for parts.
This....so easy to replace hubs then you are good to go.
TOM WEBER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 07:49 AM   #9
chumy
Registered Users-pm+

chumy has been promoted to Piratechumy has been promoted to Piratechumy has been promoted to Piratechumy has been promoted to Piratechumy has been promoted to Piratechumy has been promoted to Piratechumy has been promoted to Piratechumy has been promoted to Piratechumy has been promoted to Piratechumy has been promoted to Piratechumy has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:

Wow, Can I have your extra spindles and hubs? I'm building a trailer.
chumy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 08:10 AM   #10
SSST
Registered Users-pm+

SSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to Pirate
I do the same as Sgrem, extra hub is in the truck at all times. Way easier to change out in a pinch on the side of the highway. I just buy my hub assemblies from TSC.
SSST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message