2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Barndominium build

29K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  nckrsamford 
#1 ·
Getting back to the basics of life.

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
A little more work completed over the last two weeks. Sure took a lot of scrubbing to get the concrete ready for stain. Glad I did it before I put up walls. This weekend I plan on covering with cardboard before the framing starts.

Attachments

#13 ·
Stained Concrete

It looks like you already stained the floors but I will throw this in anyway. When we had ours done the guy that did it sawed our grooves first then buffed it and completely cleaned it, I mean really good. We already were framed and the sheetrock hung but not taped and floated at this point. He covered the floor with cardboard and then tar paper then more heavy paper on top of that. He really fit the cardboard good and I asked him why don't you just tape the edges against the wall? His reply was the tape adhesive would keep the acids from penetrating the concrete and leave a big stripe around the perimeter. I guess he learned the hard way. He said let them do all the mud work and painting then he would come back and stain. After the stain did it's thing he came back and applied some kind of sealer or wax. It worked so I guess he knew what he was doing. I am pretty sure that is how it went but I can't be 100% positive he didn't stain it then cover it up, it's been eight years now. I have a photo album somewhere of the work progress but no telling where I hid it. Someone else might have something to add.

#16 ·
Empire Boats

You the same Empire Boats that built the best Aluminum Boats on The Gulf Coast???
I had a few of them at a company I used to work at we kept em in Lake Arthur La. I used to make up excuses to go over there and work so I could take one to Fourchon and fish out of it.
Nice Bardominium I wanna do the same thing in Rockport!

#22 ·
I am not sure I totally understand what a barn-dominium really is. And I correct that it is a single large, mostly rectangular building, that contains both living space and work or storage space?

Whatever the real basic description is, I like this a lot. I'll never have the land to build one, nor the cash, but I sure like thinking about all I could do with one.

#23 ·
Rewarding

Looks like you are doing a great job. I built my first house in 1978-79 and it was one of the most personally rewarding things I've ever done. My mom and dad and my wife's mom and dad all helped along the way so lots of wonderful memories. Back then I had plenty of energy and worked many late nights getting things done, but it was all well worth it. I'm sure you will have the same feelings for a long time on your current project. Good luck getting her finished and looks like high quality work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.