2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

best time of year to catch flounder?

16K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  Coast Rider 
#1 ·
when is the best time (prime time) of the year to catch flounder???

#11 ·
Reminded Me

Backin 75-80 era at POC E jetty bay side we used to camp.There was a Big Skunk that would just walk into camp and begg for food like a little Dog.It would eat eat right out of your hand (just had to be sure you were upwind side cause he was'nt FIXED) When you floundered near he would walk along with you at waters edge waiting for you to gig a little fish and pitch to him.You could pet him like a cat(hand woud stink though) He was there several years and we never got sprayed .Then we never saw him again..........CVA34

#12 ·
Flounder are much better concentrated during the fall and spring runs, but hang out at any marsh drain all of the warm months. Any out going tide, is a good time for flounder.
Incoming tides work also, but you have to move the boat to present with the water flow. Chester Moore's book Flounder Fever will tell you just about any thing you want to know about catching flounder.

#15 ·
Like others have said, they concentrate in the fall, but you can catch them year round if you know where to look. remember, flounder are lazy and wait for the bait to come to them. If you find one in the summer, there are generally others around.

#22 ·
The attitude of many non-giggers towards giggers is the same reason we lose many of our freedoms. Those who do not participate would just as soon have nobody do it. Same attitude non-fishermen have towards fishermen, and can be extended to most hobbies and other parts of life. For the record, I have never gigged, does not mean I never will.
You are absolutely right!!

Flounder have a minimum size, they have a daily bag limit. Applies to gigging or rod.

#24 ·
"There are only about 100 commercials that harvest Flounder, it is estimated that they take half the harvest for flounder in Texas. Their main way of harvest is gigging."

See...now we are starting to come together on this. Ban commercial sale/gigging of Flounder the same as we have done with Specks & Reds. That would give them the much needed relief they needs. Or how about banning the use of airboats for gigging. Several option were discissed at the public hearing and many were better that shutting down the walking gigger.

Perhaps I'm more up to speed than given credit for. After walking with a Coleman lantern & gigging for 32 years straight ... no gaps (purely as a recreational activity) I have a unique and up close concept of what is happening to my sport. Next to duck hunting, gigging the old fashion way is my 2nd favorite sport. Read some of my post. My 9 year old and I go almost every weekend...

except November.

#31 ·
FLOUNDER

"There are only about 100 commercials that harvest Flounder, it is estimated that they take half the harvest for flounder in Texas. Their main way of harvest is gigging."

See...now we are starting to come together on this. Ban commercial sale/gigging of Flounder the same as we have done with Specks & Reds. That would give them the much needed relief they needs. Or how about banning the use of airboats for gigging. Several option were discissed at the public hearing and many were better that shutting down the walking gigger.

Perhaps I'm more up to speed than given credit for. After walking with a Coleman lantern & gigging for 32 years straight ... no gaps (purely as a recreational activity) I have a unique and up close concept of what is happening to my sport. Next to duck hunting, gigging the old fashion way is my 2nd favorite sport. Read some of my post. My 9 year old and I go almost every weekend...

except November.
X-2 I'M with you. I've always thought the limits for COM. should be the same as REC. if they want to sell there's its OK......CVA34

#26 ·
Timemachine,

I would like to see gigging from a lantern only as well. As when I did it back in the early 80's that was the way we did it.

It keeps that portion of the texas tradition alive.

From the numerous meetings I went to, the problem came up of what to do with the guys who have spent all this money on rigs with lights .......

Banning the commercial sector from Texas Flounder is essentially what is hppening with the restricted limits and rod and reel in November.

So without TPWD shuting down commerical's, they essentially did..... and I have no problem saying I like what they have done ..... TWPD has essentially helped allocate a better distibutiion of the specie to the greater population.

#28 ·
I wanted to give the propers to Muddskipper. He probably is more informed on the Flounder issue that anyone here. He works for TP&W, with flounder and more importantly, works with the flounder restocking program. He attended the meetings and hearings.

Thanks MuddSkipper for all that you are doing. Our best hope of hanging on to the "tradition" is through guys like you.

#29 ·
With the big changes that took place last year I believe TPWD and anglers would like to see the effects it has on the next few years.

Anglers should see better quality catches, along with more productive outings.

It will take approx 3 - 5 years to see the results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.