2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Lonestar Card

14K views 106 replies 76 participants last post by  vt_fish02 
#1 ·
Yesterday on my way to work I stopped local Valero was inline behind a Idiot trying to buy beer and lotto with his card.The clerk was trying to explain to him there not allowed to this dude came unglued on her. During all the yelling that he did I ask to step aside so I can pay and leave. Man did I open a can of worms then

#7 ·
I just love it when I'm in the check out line, with my basket full of ground chuck and ramen noodles, and the person in front of me has an overfilled basket with porterhouse and ribeyes, and then they bust out their lonestar card. Makes me so proud to bust my *** at work everyday. :mad:

#10 ·
When I was waiting in line with cake mix, candles, and icing for Stacy's BD cake, the woman in front of me paid for her $60 store made cake with a LS card. I was in company clothes, so I didn't say anything, but if I had been in street clothes, it would have been different.

#11 ·
You can't fix stupid. The rampant and blatant abuse of the Lone Star card program has gotten to a point that it needs a major overhaul. Unfortunately, there are as many fools in charge of it as there are users.

#13 ·
I went to the seafood place on Saturday and the lady in front of me was paying for $200 worth of crawfish with one. Then had to come back and get the spices. Guess how she paid for that? My wife looked at me and said "why do we even work?" I'm debating giving that place any more business after seeing this.

#20 ·
My wife was getting her nails done and a lady next to her was doing the same and on the phone with her peeps telling them how its been 3 weeks and too long since she got her nails done and she needed to go to a certain seafood place to buy mudbugs for the party since that one took the LSC.
My wife did everything to keep from tearing into her....

Probably the same trash

#15 ·
I was at this hippie store by my house called New Flower. I go there sometimes to get soup for lunch. This lady in front of me buying something wips out the old LS card then looks at it and goes back in to grab her other ONE!. I was like man, then I pay for my soup go outside and see her get into her new Volvo.

#59 ·
I saw this guy a couple weeks ago, pick up some 17.99 a lb steak, and all the fixings, he was wearing standard wealthy austin attire, elite bike club hat, 200 dollar sun glasses, charity running event, t-shirt, khaki shorts and Birkenstock sandals. Whipped out his LSC, and paid, then hopped into his Prius, with a high end road bike on the bike rack. :work:

I agree with most of what everyone has stated. However, just to throw this into the mix... Do you guys think that just because someone is on the LSC they should only be able to purchase Ramen, generic sodas and day old bread?
Absolutely, I think it should be spam, off brand saltines and government cheese. If you had to eat garbage, they'd get off the system real quick...

#21 ·
This world would be a much better place if it was inhabited by more people with your mindset. Keep up the hard work, you WILL be rewarded in the end--one way or another.

It is so frustrating to see what appears to be abuse of that card. Like another poster said, it could be an innocent purchase though. A lady in front of me is talking on iphone, buying all kinds of **** with her LSC (kool aid, porterhouse, frozen pizza, etc etc). She's parked next to me in her new Denali! Question is: was she buying groceries for her sister's family using her sis's card? Maybe Sis is a disabled single mom who doesn't even have a car to get to HEB?

Regardless, there has to be a better way to "check and balance"...

#17 ·
I truly beleive that if a person wants to work they can. It may not be their dream job or what they were trained for but it will put food on the table. I also think that before a person accepts welfare or a LS card they must submit to drug and alcohol testing and must quit using tobaco. This testing should be done randomly but regularly.
Pat

#19 ·
Not trying to hijack, but....

I'm sure we've all seen the abuses of the system, but here's a little different perspective that I had not considered until recently:

We have some friends who do pretty well, their children are grown and they are still young enough to keep up with a few kids. So, they work with a church organization that helps the state with foster children. At any given time our friends may have from one to four foster children in their home. Each of the children has money allocated to them for a certain amount of their support and their money comes in the form of the LoneStar card. Our friend said that when he grocery shops he has to seperate the home groceries from those purchased specifically for the children (diapers, formula, baby food, etc.) and pay seperately for home groceries and each respective child. He said that there have been several occasions where people have given him a hard time because he was dressed nice and buying some steaks or something along with things for the kids. He's a really nice guy so he would never tell them to pound sand. He just explains the situation and points out how the items are seperated and has them watch how he pays for stuff. BTW, he also stated that each of the kids end up costing them money because the allocation they get from the state isn't nearly enough to cover expenses. So, in his opinion, if people do it to make money, they must be cutting a lot of corners and not helping the kids very much.

I realize this is exception and not the rule, but it's certainly something to think about.

#23 ·
and how about free babies

I hear that all a prospective mom and dad need to show is one checking account (never mind that they are employed and self employed middle class, might have other accounts, or other assets) with a low balance, and they get baby delivered for free...and since that works so well on the first baby...do it again on baby #2.sad3sm

#78 ·
I hear that all a prospective mom and dad need to show is one checking account (never mind that they are employed and self employed middle class, might have other accounts, or other assets) with a low balance, and they get baby delivered for free...and since that works so well on the first baby...do it again on baby #2.sad3sm
The interesting thing about pregnant women and Medicaid is this. As long as the family is within the income limit for the family size (and the new baby is counted as a family member before birth), There is no asset limit. this means that they could have $1,000,000.00 in the bank and be driving a Ferrari, she would still get the Medicaid to cover the birth. Then the baby gets Medicaid for a year.

#25 ·
The system is undoubtedly broken. In the Valley I just expect the person wearing the gucci sunglasses, with the coach purse in front of me to pay for their junk food with LS then go get into their Escalade or Hummer. Its just the norm around here. I think the program could be a truly good one that helps the right people if it were executed better. But as of right now I feel like I'm working to support a bunch of lazy aholes.

#29 ·
The system is undoubtedly broken. In the Valley I just expect the person wearing the gucci sunglasses, with the coach purse in front of me to pay for their junk food with LS then go get into their Escalade or Hummer. Its just the norm around here. I think the program could be a truly good one that helps the right people if it were executed better. But as of right now I AM working to support a bunch of lazy aSSholes.
Fixed for ya. :biggrin:

#26 ·
I saw a lady many years ago in Louisiana try to buy dog food with food stamps. When the checker told her she couldn't do so, she told her, "my dog don't mind eatin' hamburger meat". She held up the line, took the dog food back, and got ground meat. Burned my butt!

#32 ·
There's no doubt the idiot knew he couldn't buy beer on that card. They just get used to causing a scene to try to get what they want.. I support drug testing anyone prior to receiving government funds.. LS card, Food stamps, unemployment...

#41 ·
I agree with most of what everyone has stated. However, just to throw this into the mix... Do you guys think that just because someone is on the LSC they should only be able to purchase Ramen, generic sodas and day old bread?
I think there should be SOME limits to it. For example, they shouldn't be able to purchase anything that exceeds the value of what we feed our troops it the chow hall. Or, what Arpaio feeds the inmates in AZ (that's already been deemed to constitutional). In other words, basic nutrition and no frills. Frankly, when I was a GI I ate a lot of Ramen noodles, day old bread, and no sodas because those were luxury items I couldn't afford. If you get anything you want and don't work for it, what's the point of making the effort?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.