2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

NauticStar 231 Coastal - Yamaha or Evinrude

4K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Telecaster 
#1 ·
I have been looking at the NauticStar 231 Coastal, this will be my dream boat. I am not sure if I should go Yamaha 150 to 200, or Evinrude 150 to 200. Any comments would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Telecaster-
I was in the same dilemma 2 weeks ago when I purchased my 2017 Nautic Star 211 Angler (sister boat) As far as motor brand, you cant go wrong with either one. I researched them for ever and it was a tie for me.Go with the 200 on the 231, you will be happier you did. What it came down to for us was the best bang for my buck.
Our boat purchase ended up coming with the Yamaha F150 and I couldn't be happier with the motor.

#4 ·
I spoke with the dealer again and I think I will be going with the Evinrude 200 HO. The only thing about it is there is no data regarding fuel economy for that particular engine and the Coastal 231. The maintenance I believe will be cheaper and make up for any extra fuel used.

#6 ·
There is a sales promotion going on now for Evinrude E-TEC outboards that gives you 10-years of factory protection. That is unheard of in the marine industry but Evinrude is doing it.

You also have an option of free rigging equipment, gauges, and controls and 5-years of protection.

#11 ·
I hear you, I actually run a Gen 1 200 HO on my 21' Nautic Star. It's probably a bit overkill, but it sure is nice to cruise at 40 turning 4k rpms. It sips gas at that rpm, and the oil use is unreal compared to the old 2 strokes. It would be a great motor for your boat. My bad, I just realized that's the motor you picked, lol.

#16 ·
Congrats on the Nauticstar. I have the XTS 214 Shallowbay and love the boat. You get a lot of bang for your buck with Nauticstar. I personally feel they don't receive the love they deserve. Oh yeah, you could not of found a better dealer either! Bob and Reynolds are top notch!

#23 ·
Garmin 94SV

I just upgraded to the Garmin 94SV on my Black Jack. Love it! I would have considered Humminbird but I have 15 years worth of coastal data in my Garmin HomePort. Ease of use and familiarity are important to me. I had bad luck with two 7" Lowrance units (original and the warranty replacement) on another boat. They left me stranded in San Antonio Bay in the dark and fog because they couldn't find satellites. So, even though I am originally from Tulsa, I am out on Lowrance products.

#24 ·
I have installed the Humminbird Helix 10 and Minn Kota RIPTIDE ULTERRA I-Pilot link but have been unsuccessful at running the ethernet cable from the console mounted Helix to the Ulterra. Has anyone installed this cable on a NauticStar 231 Coastal and can you tell me how you were able to get the cable under the deck of the boat? I have pushed a fish tape from the deck back towards the console through the same hole that the preinstalled power for the trolling motor was ran but the tape does not make it to the console. I also tried going from the console forward and could not make it. It's very frustrating so I hope someone knows the way to do this that can help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.