2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

curado 70 problem

5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  trout250 
#1 ·
i recently got a curado 70, and im wondering if anyone else has had the same issue as me. there is a lot of play in the sideplate, and when i cast the reel, is vibrates a ton and screams and doesnt cast very far. but when i hold my hand tightly over the sideplate during a cast to keep it in place, the reel casts perfectly fine. that sideplate has to keep the spool in place while it turns extremely fast, so...it makes perfect sense that the loose sideplate is the cause of my issue, right? there is a tackle shop in my town that is an official shimano repair/service center, and they dont think that anything is wrong with my reel because apparently, "they all have play, its normal". considering that they represent shimano, im worried i wont get much better help if i actually send the reel off to shimano. any ideas on a DIY fix to this?

#6 ·
well guys, i had a long day of fishing today, only caught a few reds, but made countless casts, and ive got the issue solved temporarily. the side plate has a ring in it with multiple tabs around it, which is what locks it in place with the frame. i used some tin foil, and formed it onto that ring to make it slightly thicker in one spot, like a shim of sorts. the side plate now went on snugly with zero play, and the real casted perfectly, farther than ever, with no noise or vibration. obviously, i would like a more permanent fix than some tin foil, lol. so alan, im wondering, what exactley would you do to fix this, and do you have an idea on what your turnaround time would be?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.