Wheel Bearing help - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Fresh water forums > Freshwater Fishing General Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-13-2017, 06:27 AM   #11
Captain Marty
Captain Marty

Captain Marty has been promoted to PirateCaptain Marty has been promoted to PirateCaptain Marty has been promoted to PirateCaptain Marty has been promoted to PirateCaptain Marty has been promoted to PirateCaptain Marty has been promoted to PirateCaptain Marty has been promoted to PirateCaptain Marty has been promoted to PirateCaptain Marty has been promoted to PirateCaptain Marty has been promoted to PirateCaptain Marty has been promoted to Pirate
You can get the entire hub at Husky's Trailer on I45 at Little York. The hub comes with races installed, bearings, seal, lug nuts, and dust cover for about $30 each. You have to use the old castle nut, washer and cotter pin.
Captain Marty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2017, 08:35 AM   #12
Whitebassfisher
Retired opinionated old fart

Whitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Marty View Post
You can get the entire hub at Husky's Trailer on I45 at Little York. The hub comes with races installed, bearings, seal, lug nuts, and dust cover for about $30 each. You have to use the old castle nut, washer and cotter pin.
I like that Husky's store, and more than their next door neighbor competition.

Are the parts in that kit of high quality? That seems unbelievably cheap somehow.
Whitebassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2017, 01:10 PM   #13
Viking48
Registered Users-pm+

Viking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to Pirate
I posted a reply to your question on the other forum but I'll give you a little more info on this one. I once spent several days observing truck axles being disassembled and inspecting the bearings because one had become disengaged letting the wheel roll across the road and killing the oncoming driver. Needless to say, that involved a lawsuit and all bearing manufacturers were included. The net result was that every bearing failure was of Chinese manufacture. I have seen so many failures of Chinese bearings that I wouldn't put one on a kids wagon. Some are of fairly decent quality but none are the quality of American made (our lab has tested thousands). Some are of such poor quality that they won't even fit in the hub. If you are willing to take the chance of having a wheel coming off and injuring or killing someone, twisting an axle and having to leave your boat on the side of the road just to save a few bucks then more power to you. Quality bearings and reasonable maintenance will solve your problems. Please don't come back and tell me that you have been running Chinese bearings for X years without a problem - some will but are you willing to take that chance?
Viking48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2017, 05:02 PM   #14
Whitebassfisher
Retired opinionated old fart

Whitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking48 View Post
I posted a reply to your question on the other forum but I'll give you a little more info on this one. I once spent several days observing truck axles being disassembled and inspecting the bearings because one had become disengaged letting the wheel roll across the road and killing the oncoming driver. Needless to say, that involved a lawsuit and all bearing manufacturers were included. The net result was that every bearing failure was of Chinese manufacture. I have seen so many failures of Chinese bearings that I wouldn't put one on a kids wagon. Some are of fairly decent quality but none are the quality of American made (our lab has tested thousands). Some are of such poor quality that they won't even fit in the hub. If you are willing to take the chance of having a wheel coming off and injuring or killing someone, twisting an axle and having to leave your boat on the side of the road just to save a few bucks then more power to you. Quality bearings and reasonable maintenance will solve your problems. Please don't come back and tell me that you have been running Chinese bearings for X years without a problem - some will but are you willing to take that chance?
Funny, I remember my dad liking to buy Timken bearings from the auto place while working on our cars.
Whitebassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2017, 09:25 PM   #15
redexpress
Registered Users-pm+

redexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirate
Timken is making bearings in China as well. Hopefully better than the average China stuff. Not sure about SKF.
Check an industrial supply like Applied Industrial Technologies or Grainger.
Some vendors through Amazon claim their Timkens are US.
redexpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM   #16
Gofish2day
Registered Users-pm+

Gofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to Pirate
All on my trailer is original and have had no problems....knock on wood!
That is why I am asking the questions. A lot of good advice here.
Thanks!
Gofish2day is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM   #17
Viking48
Registered Users-pm+

Viking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebassfisher View Post
Funny, I remember my dad liking to buy Timken bearings from the auto place while working on our cars.
Timken has always had an excellent reputation in the tapered roller bearing market. Not so sure about now.
Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM   #18
Viking48
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by redexpress View Post
Timken is making bearings in China as well. Hopefully better than the average China stuff. Not sure about SKF.
Check an industrial supply like Applied Industrial Technologies or Grainger.
Some vendors through Amazon claim their Timkens are US.
I've been retired for a few years now so i haven't stayed in touch as closely. I've heard of problems with the Chinese Timkens but have nothing to substantiate it. SKF made very few bearings in the US. I used to love it when a distributor or end user would tell me that SKF was a domestic manufacturer and I would ask him to take a walk through his warehouse with me. Most never realized that the vast majority of their bearings were made in foreign countries :-)