2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

East bay trout

9K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Fishin' Soldier 
#1 ·
I have owned offshore boats my whole life and recently bought a 23' Robalo, can't go as shallow as I would like and would like to spread my horizons beyond Jeddy fishing. Always slay the trout in my kayak but am in west bay. East bay seems like a whole different beast. I keep my boat at the Galveston yacht basin.

Could anyone give me some decent east bay trout and redfish spots that are 3+ feet deep other than Hannah's reef. I caught 3 today in the ship Chanel near the rigs and Texas ATM Galveston but am still exploring

#4 ·
You can run pretty much anywhere in East Bay... On the south shoreline, even up in Yates Bayou, around Elm Grove Point and such. Back in the day, I preferred East Bay above most of the rest of the Galveston Bay system... Under right conditions, the North Shoreline can be real good, but with our SE prevailing winds, it stays beat up a lot. Frenchie's Reef is just east and north of Elm Grove Point, and many of the bigger reefs up in East Bay are well marked (unfortunately)... but they are all fishable in your boat. I used to fish' em in a 23' Chris Craft...

#11 ·
Place you really need to go slow a few times is entering East Bay at Seivers cut from the Intercoastal waterway. Go in at the middle of the cut slowly until you have a track in the sweet spot. I don't know about the west end of the cut but the East end gets real shallow on a low tide. I have gone through there dozens of times and last trip I almost got stuck on a low tide because I was too far East. That was in a 23 feet Schoalwater Cat. It gets shallow quick. That being said you should be good shape going into the bay in the middle of the cut. Just be careful as in that boat you won't as lucky as I was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.