2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Port A Redfish Fest!!!

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Sight Cast 
#1 ·
I fished by myself from 9am-1pm Sat and 7am-12pm Sun. I poled shorelines on the Estes Side of Traylor and lets just say everywhere I went there were hundreds of reds. The kicker was they were not hungry. I did manage to entice 6 reds on Sat. and 0 today. Had 20 or 30 fish turn thier noses at touts, spoons, plastic crabs, and DOA shrimp each day. I got pretty frustrated. The weather was beautiful with winds Sat 10mph and today, dead calm. I sweat my arse off this morning. I am going back this weekend armed with the flyrod and they will pay!!!. It was so calm this morning, that I ran my little skiff aground (which is hard to do) in front of about 100 boats stacked up on Traylor Island. Talk about embarrasing. I just stopped, spun up, and kept going like nuthing happened. LOL. I did hear of two or three thousand Blue Wave boats catching limits of Reds in California hole on bait. So I guess maybe they were hungry for the real thing. Till next weekend...

#2 ·
I had the same experience last week on the back side of Mud Island. Threw everything I had at them.........topwaters, spoons, rubber, and an assortment of flies. Stayed with the same pod of reds for over an hour, spooked them several times but, as reds always do, they would re-group and continue their forage. Finally snatched an under size red and an undrsize trout out of the pod. Even tried my hand with live bait in that area................all bait died of old age on my hook...........not even the hardheads were hungry.

Nephew had been into my beeer cooler and all I had to drink was wifes diet rootbeer.

They've gotta eat sooner or later.

Good luck.

#4 ·
Sat morn had the highest water all weekend and the fish were lock jaw in South Bay. Tide dropped out in the afternoon and the bite turned on. South Bay was loaded with lots of hungry reds on the edge of the flats on Sunday morn. Early that morning you could see the school of a couple hundred fish moving back and forth along the grassline. Too bad I left the fly rod at home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.