2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Braided line

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  MattK 
#1 ·
Can you use braid on a casting reel, or can you only use on a spinning. I have a calcutta 100. All opinions welcome on the best line to use. Thanks

#2 ·
Yes, it can be used on baitcasters. Lots of fisherman these days using braid on baitcasters.
The consensus is that the Sufix braid is the best and I can vouch for this. Have tried 3 different ones(P-line, PowerPro, Sufix) and it outperformed the P-line and PowerPro greatly.

#4 ·
Sufix is a good line, and I do have braid spooled on all ten of my reels spinning and casting with both sufix and power pro. Sufix's coating when you buy it is better than power pro. However when you come down to it and get the Sufix rep and Power pro rep. drunk together they will both tell you there lines are pretty much the same. I'd say go with what's cheepest between those two. Some of the other off brands do suck because they are wound well enough.

#5 ·
Yessir... I have tried several and like the Stren Suer braid. I like it because it is perfectly round and that seems to minimize the back lashes. The power pro and other i used seemed to get some wicked backlashes.

I have not had to break out the pliers or knife yet with the super braid. I have been using it since late last year and love it. i use a florocarben leader, but i dont think it is necessary.

My only complaint would be that the line is dyed and bleed on my rod and hands... They are both green now.

Good luck

#6 ·
O yes the line will bleed the color and will start to turn white. It's cool, the line is not going bad its just a property of spectra that it does not hold die well. As for using a leader: I always use a 1 to 2' leader of 20# to 30#clear mono or fluorocarbon attached with a small but very strong SPRO swivel for fishing any fish that may be the least bit line shy. The small SPRO swivels are small enough to real up in the eye of the rod and still be cast, but it's still a 50# swivel. The opaque nature of the braided line will make its silhouette visible in the water no matter the color. I guess I haven't tried the Stren Brand. I'll give it a shot the next time I re-spool.

#8 ·
OK - listen up - this works !!!
I use Stren Super Braid 30# with a Fluorocarbon Leader tied to the Braid with a Double Uni Knot. Once you try it , you will NEVER go back !!! You feel EVERYTHING that happens
on the other end, which is what you want. RIGHT !!!

#9 ·
Before you jet out to get some braided line and add it straight on your reel you might need to know this. Braided line needs to have some sort of backing put on first. Braid is very slick and will actually slip on the spool which will make it seem like your drag isn't working. This will be even more noticeable on your Calcutta because it has a nice smooth solid spool.

Some use masking tape as a backing (5-7 wraps), and some use mono. I personally use a mono backing (~10yrds) and use a couple uni knots to tie the braid to the mono. Also, if you decide to not use a leader I would suggest using a Palomar knot to tie off terminal tackle because some of the traditional knots, like the Trilene, will pull loose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.