2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Javelina Recipes

8K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  southpaw 
G
#1 ·
#3 ·
I've had it slow cooked on the grill with mopping sauce and it was good. My daughter shot one this weekend and I ground up the whole javelina. I made taco soup out of it tonight. The soup was good but browning the meat really stunk up the house. Next time I might brown the meat on the burner of my grill.

#4 ·
-JAW- ... the brains and other choice pieces make a good mixture for tamales. We ate them as kids when we lived in the valley ... and if a kid will eat them, I guess they were good enough. I suspect a lot of the rest of the meat, along with venison etc. ended up in sausage and mixed with hamburger. The only thing I remember for sure is you'd better get that scent gland out before doing anything else. P.S. did I mention we were not exactly middle-class for income level ... guess that explains eating a lot of fish and game as well ;)

#13 ·
If you bleed it out correctly after it's shot then put the meat on Ice for 12 hours or so and let it continue to bleed out then it'll make a huge difference on the musky gamey taste. Soaking it in buttermilk over night will also help too. It's a lot of work so I usually pass on it, but it can be pretty good if you do it right

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.