Launching Alone - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #21
trashcanslam
Registered Users-pm+

trashcanslam has been promoted to Piratetrashcanslam has been promoted to Piratetrashcanslam has been promoted to Piratetrashcanslam has been promoted to Piratetrashcanslam has been promoted to Piratetrashcanslam has been promoted to Piratetrashcanslam has been promoted to Piratetrashcanslam has been promoted to Piratetrashcanslam has been promoted to Piratetrashcanslam has been promoted to Piratetrashcanslam has been promoted to Pirate
I launch alone all the time. Just back the trailer in the water just enough to float the boat and not have it slide off the trailer, then climb in the boat from the bow and use the power of the motor to get the boat off. Then I just tie the boat to the dock and park the trailer. Same for loading, tie the boat up and back down the trailer so 2/3's of the bunks are covered in water, then just drive the boat on the trailer until you feel it hit the bow stop.

It takes a few tries to figure out the point to stop your trailer and of course the angle of the ramp can play as a variable, but once you figure it out it is much easier than using the ropes.

Note: If you have a roller trailer then I doubt this technique will work. Whatever you do, with a roller trailer, never undo the winch strap before the boat is in the water!!
trashcanslam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #22
castaway300
Registered Users-pm+

castaway300 has been promoted to Piratecastaway300 has been promoted to Piratecastaway300 has been promoted to Piratecastaway300 has been promoted to Piratecastaway300 has been promoted to Piratecastaway300 has been promoted to Piratecastaway300 has been promoted to Piratecastaway300 has been promoted to Piratecastaway300 has been promoted to Piratecastaway300 has been promoted to Piratecastaway300 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotccrn View Post
Back boat/trailer down until boat starts to float. Climb over bow and start motor. Back boat off trailer and quickly tie to dock. Run over to truck/trailer and park it. Been doing it for years. If people become impatient waiting for you just wave and say "thanks for waiting." Whole process takes less than 3 minutes (unless motor is slow to start).
x2
castaway300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #23
Steven H
Emorys Daddy

Steven H has been promoted to PirateSteven H has been promoted to PirateSteven H has been promoted to PirateSteven H has been promoted to PirateSteven H has been promoted to PirateSteven H has been promoted to PirateSteven H has been promoted to PirateSteven H has been promoted to PirateSteven H has been promoted to PirateSteven H has been promoted to PirateSteven H has been promoted to Pirate
Lots of nice people usually at ramps anyway, I always offer to bump em off. At 2 am last night, a younger kid asked me if I needed help puttin it on, I said yeah, I need it a little more in the water. He olbliged and walked to his truck. A nice thank you on the way out goes a long way. Same with a launch, how hard is it to say could you please hold the rope?
Steven H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 06:02 AM   #24
JimD
JimD

JimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to Pirate
Bump for new boaters.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 07:06 AM   #25
elgatogus
Registered Users-pm+

elgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirate
Doowapstart

Quote:
Back boat/trailer down until boat starts to float. Climb over bow and start motor. Back boat off trailer and quickly tie to dock. Run over to truck/trailer and park it. Been doing it for years. If people become impatient waiting for you just wave and say "thanks for waiting." Whole process takes less than 3 minutes (unless motor is slow to start).
X2!!!! Ive been doing this myself for a long time and its easy as 1, 2, 3.. The must important thing to do is be confident and think out the procedure before you back into ramp( to help save time).. for you and others. Always make sure you got the plug(s) in.... And secondly, when you back up keep in mind how far you have to bring the trailer in the water. Always remember roughly how far its got to be in the water to make your launch and retrieve that much faster. DON'T FORGET THE PARKING BRAKE!!! LOL. In my boat I have a rope already tied to front and back cleat depends on wich side you going to tie off dock( look before launching.) Once you get the pattern down you should do it fairly easy. You will surprise yourself to how easy it really is. Get after it man!!! After all, you can never rely on other people to make your life easier! Good luck!
elgatogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #26
Miles2Fish
Registered Users-pm+

Miles2Fish has been promoted to PirateMiles2Fish has been promoted to PirateMiles2Fish has been promoted to PirateMiles2Fish has been promoted to PirateMiles2Fish has been promoted to PirateMiles2Fish has been promoted to PirateMiles2Fish has been promoted to PirateMiles2Fish has been promoted to PirateMiles2Fish has been promoted to PirateMiles2Fish has been promoted to PirateMiles2Fish has been promoted to Pirate
It sounds as though you have gotten some great advice for launching solo.....here is some for your day of fishing....ALWAYS wear both your pfd and your kill switch when fishing/running your boat alone! Always have TWO ways of contacting help. This means BOTH a cell phone and a vhf radio. Most importantly make sure somone knows when you start and finish fishing in case something goes wrong (float plan).....these seem insginificant but could mean the difference between a great day or a misearable day.....
Miles2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #27
The1ThatGotAway
Rolling Offset Flat Turn on 3... Break

The1ThatGotAway has been promoted to PirateThe1ThatGotAway has been promoted to PirateThe1ThatGotAway has been promoted to PirateThe1ThatGotAway has been promoted to PirateThe1ThatGotAway has been promoted to PirateThe1ThatGotAway has been promoted to PirateThe1ThatGotAway has been promoted to PirateThe1ThatGotAway has been promoted to PirateThe1ThatGotAway has been promoted to PirateThe1ThatGotAway has been promoted to PirateThe1ThatGotAway has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven H View Post
Lots of nice people usually at ramps anyway, I always offer to bump em off. At 2 am last night, a younger kid asked me if I needed help puttin it on, I said yeah, I need it a little more in the water. He olbliged and walked to his truck. A nice thank you on the way out goes a long way. Same with a launch, how hard is it to say could you please hold the rope?

Beat me to it
The1ThatGotAway is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #28
Blue_Wave028
Registered Users-pm+

Blue_Wave028 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBlue_Wave028 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBlue_Wave028 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBlue_Wave028 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBlue_Wave028 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBlue_Wave028 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBlue_Wave028 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBlue_Wave028 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBlue_Wave028 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBlue_Wave028 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBlue_Wave028 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
Same!

Quote:

X4

This is how I have been doing it. Just do the normal preparations before you get to the ramp so that you don't get in a rush. Other boaters understand you are by yourself and need a little more time. I think I can do this by myself faster than some can do with a crew of three.
Blue_Wave028 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #29
fishinguy
Registered Users-pm+

fishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Pirate
I launch and retrieve by myself all the time. I back down till boat is in water enough to come off ramp. get out of truck walk down the trailer unhook the boat from the trailer then climb in on the bow. Back the boat off the trailer and dock it then get the truck off the ramp and park it.
fishinguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #30
Dawg
No problem, I have a boat.

Dawg has been promoted to PirateDawg has been promoted to PirateDawg has been promoted to PirateDawg has been promoted to PirateDawg has been promoted to PirateDawg has been promoted to PirateDawg has been promoted to PirateDawg has been promoted to PirateDawg has been promoted to PirateDawg has been promoted to PirateDawg has been promoted to Pirate
I let a foot or two of line off the winch, then back down till the boat floats,get in,start motor,unhook, then move to the side.
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message