Launching Alone - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
Captain Dave
Standing on a Whale fishing for Minnows

Captain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to Pirate
19 Ft Bay

Pretty much sums it up from the replies.

Calm Launch: I dont tie it down to the winch. The bow cleat is secured and I will take the rope to me at the truck and wrap around once of the rod holder that's in the cab. Back down, boat float off as i am on the dock or just getting out of the truck. Pull the boat to the dock and hop in. The gas is already primed and test started. Then park da boat and get back to the launch to park. On busy days it takes a few more mins, but....

Windy days, I will back it down and have a line ready, but will go down til the wheels are covered by h20. Thats my indicator to climb over the bow and i can start her up and back out once my weight gets to the stern.

The 2nd way is a bit more challanging and some peeps have slipped off the trailer or boat this way and almost got killed. Yes, it has happened.. Be safe

PS.. Why dont some of us single launchers get together some time and feech ?

Dave

Th
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #12
Sharkzilla
Registered Users-pm+

Sharkzilla has been promoted to PirateSharkzilla has been promoted to PirateSharkzilla has been promoted to PirateSharkzilla has been promoted to PirateSharkzilla has been promoted to PirateSharkzilla has been promoted to PirateSharkzilla has been promoted to PirateSharkzilla has been promoted to PirateSharkzilla has been promoted to PirateSharkzilla has been promoted to PirateSharkzilla has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lowtide View Post
I've been using this process listed below for years and would like to note as others have before that it helps to have your trailer set up correctly.

I start by attaching the bow line to a forward cleat and a loop on the other end that is draped over the bow stop/winch post. This attached rope should be long enough to allow the bow of the boat to reach half way down the trailer, which is normally directly in front of the forward axle.

Another rope is attached to stern cleat and needs to be long enough to have about 5 feet extra rope available after being loosely looped over the same bow cleat that has other rope attached.

Now I back the boat into water until it starts to float off of the trailer, this is when I slowly pull the trailer up out of the ramp until the rope becomes tight.

Once the boat settles for a few seconds I allow the trailer to slide back into the water about 1-foot further to put some slack into the lead line. I now get the lead line loop off of the winch post and pull the boat slowly off of the trailer while walking down the dock parallel to the ramp.

When the boat clears the trailer side boards or PVC uprights at rear of trailer I pull the bow to the dock which will allow me to grab the stern line attached to the rear cleat. This is when it can get ugly on you launching in a high wind, current or wake area at launch if the boat gets sideways in the ramp after the stern gets away from you. By keeping both ropes tight and working the slack between both of them you can control the boat. It is best to secure the stern line first.

I've used this process solo and boats from 16-32', good luck and be careful at the dock.
so the rope is tied to the boat, got it. and then...ah you lost me after that!
Sharkzilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #13
Salt Water Texan
Registered Users-pm+

Location: Waist deep in saltwater, somewhere between the Bluff and the Border
Salt Water Texan has been promoted to PirateSalt Water Texan has been promoted to PirateSalt Water Texan has been promoted to PirateSalt Water Texan has been promoted to PirateSalt Water Texan has been promoted to PirateSalt Water Texan has been promoted to PirateSalt Water Texan has been promoted to PirateSalt Water Texan has been promoted to PirateSalt Water Texan has been promoted to PirateSalt Water Texan has been promoted to PirateSalt Water Texan has been promoted to Pirate
I always try to get to the ramp a little early when launching by my self . It only takes me about 3 minutes but I try to prepare for the unexpected. I tie one end of my rope to the bow cleat and the other end to an eyelet I have mounted on the toolbox in my truck. This keeps me from having to wade into the water to untie from the winch post( very helpfull on cold mournings before you have your waders on). The rope should only be long enough to allow the boat to come off the trailer but short enough to keep it from going past the guide posts, any slack in the rope can be put in the bed of the truck before launching. I park the trailer as close as possible to the side of the ramp, once the boat is off the trailer I can untie the rope from the truck, walk out on the side of the ramp, jump into the boat and move it out of the way. After I park the truck I like to sit in the boat, have a cup of coffee and watch all the amateurs trying to launch. Nothing like a little humor to start the day.
Salt Water Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #14
9121SS
Wish the hull of my boat was wet!

9121SS has been promoted to Pirate9121SS has been promoted to Pirate9121SS has been promoted to Pirate9121SS has been promoted to Pirate9121SS has been promoted to Pirate9121SS has been promoted to Pirate9121SS has been promoted to Pirate9121SS has been promoted to Pirate9121SS has been promoted to Pirate9121SS has been promoted to Pirate9121SS has been promoted to Pirate
Some of these replys are really long but there's really not that much to it. It takes a little longer by yourself but most people don't mind. They can see you are alone.
9121SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #15
troutsupport

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
For putting the boat back on, it's important to note where your trailer need to sit in the water. This might be several inches higher than where your boat starts to float when launching. When you have your trailer at the proper depth for re loading your boat, you can drive the boat on and the boat will push up to the bow cleat and NOT slide back down. When you dismount from the boat, clip the winch strap and haul it out.

Have been launching alone for years. You'll get it down to a science and do it almost as fast as with help.
troutsupport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #16
Gofish2day
Registered Users-pm+

Gofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to Pirate
Last but most important after launching- Wear your PFD. There's knowone to help you out there. Be safe!
You fall in netting a fish and the boat floats away in the wind. Now you need to swim. How far can you swim?
THINK ABOUT IT!
Gofish2day is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #17
truckin_angler
Registered Users-pm+

truckin_angler has been promoted to Piratetruckin_angler has been promoted to Piratetruckin_angler has been promoted to Piratetruckin_angler has been promoted to Piratetruckin_angler has been promoted to Piratetruckin_angler has been promoted to Piratetruckin_angler has been promoted to Piratetruckin_angler has been promoted to Piratetruckin_angler has been promoted to Piratetruckin_angler has been promoted to Piratetruckin_angler has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotccrn View Post
Back boat/trailer down until boat starts to float. Climb over bow and start motor. Back boat off trailer and quickly tie to dock. Run over to truck/trailer and park it. Been doing it for years. If people become impatient waiting for you just wave and say "thanks for waiting." Whole process takes less than 3 minutes (unless motor is slow to start).
thats what i do all the time and im a fairly recent boat owner havent had any problems. just out of curiousity why do folks have those pvc guides??? are they actually helpful?
truckin_angler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2010, 09:00 AM   #18
Salt Water Texan
Registered Users-pm+

Location: Waist deep in saltwater, somewhere between the Bluff and the Border
Salt Water Texan has been promoted to PirateSalt Water Texan has been promoted to PirateSalt Water Texan has been promoted to PirateSalt Water Texan has been promoted to PirateSalt Water Texan has been promoted to PirateSalt Water Texan has been promoted to PirateSalt Water Texan has been promoted to PirateSalt Water Texan has been promoted to PirateSalt Water Texan has been promoted to PirateSalt Water Texan has been promoted to PirateSalt Water Texan has been promoted to Pirate
PVC guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckin_angler View Post
thats what i do all the time and im a fairly recent boat owner havent had any problems. just out of curiousity why do folks have those pvc guides??? are they actually helpful?
If you launch alone they are very helpful when putting the boat back on the trailer,they guide the boat onto the boards on the trailer and make a very fast alignment of boat and trailer. I think it would be very difficult to try and load my boat without them, especially if there is a strong side wind .
Salt Water Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #19
rynochop
Registered Users-pm+

rynochop has been promoted to Piraterynochop has been promoted to Piraterynochop has been promoted to Piraterynochop has been promoted to Piraterynochop has been promoted to Piraterynochop has been promoted to Piraterynochop has been promoted to Piraterynochop has been promoted to Piraterynochop has been promoted to Piraterynochop has been promoted to Piraterynochop has been promoted to Pirate
And again, dont forget the plugs. I've forgot probably 3 times in my life and its always been alone.
rynochop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #20
Back Bay boy
Registered Users-pm+

Back Bay boy has been promoted to PirateBack Bay boy has been promoted to PirateBack Bay boy has been promoted to PirateBack Bay boy has been promoted to PirateBack Bay boy has been promoted to PirateBack Bay boy has been promoted to PirateBack Bay boy has been promoted to PirateBack Bay boy has been promoted to PirateBack Bay boy has been promoted to PirateBack Bay boy has been promoted to PirateBack Bay boy has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckin_angler View Post

Thats why I took my pvc guides off they got into the way of the rope when I swing the boat off the trailer.
Back Bay boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message