Braid or leader to lure? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 04-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #1
aktxla
Registered Users-pm+

aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Braid or leader to lure?

I'm interested in how many folks use braided line and NO leader - braid straight to lure. I generally use mono or floro leader but unless the water is really clear, it seems to me that light braid is not going to spook the fish. Has anyone tried both methods long enough to know if fishing without a leader has negative consequences?
aktxla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 05:34 PM   #2
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
I used to tie Palomar knot straight to lure.
Sure did get old getting outfished for trout, reds, bass....you name it. My buddies outfished me. And I swore up and down the braid didn't spook em....

Way wrong.
30# braid
Crazy Alberto knot to 20# fluoro or mono leader
Canoe man loop knot to lure
Catch more fish more often under all conditions.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 06:00 PM   #3
SteveZissou
Registered Users-pm+

SteveZissou has been promoted to PirateSteveZissou has been promoted to PirateSteveZissou has been promoted to PirateSteveZissou has been promoted to PirateSteveZissou has been promoted to PirateSteveZissou has been promoted to PirateSteveZissou has been promoted to PirateSteveZissou has been promoted to PirateSteveZissou has been promoted to PirateSteveZissou has been promoted to PirateSteveZissou has been promoted to Pirate
There are more benefits to using a leader vs not using one.

get hung up and now you have to pull 30lbs of pressure to break the line. If you're using higher test line like fins 40g 45lb, now you're pulling even more pressure against your reel.

when you do break free, now you have several yards less of that expensive line.

braid tied directly to split rings sucks.
SteveZissou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 06:43 PM   #4
Bird
No fish in West Bay

Bird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
I used to tie Palomar knot straight to lure.
Sure did get old getting outfished for trout, reds, bass....you name it. My buddies outfished me. And I swore up and down the braid didn't spook em....

Way wrong.
30# braid
Crazy Alberto knot to 20# fluoro or mono leader
Canoe man loop knot to lure
Catch more fish more often under all conditions.
^^this is me except for terminal knot connection. About 36" of leader so I have plenty to trim off if nicked and/or retying.
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 07:43 PM   #5
Hawglife
Registered Users-pm+

Hawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to Pirate
I honestly feel like if the fish are biting it doesn't make a difference. In my experience if it makes you feel kroe confident in the lure, then tie it on. But when you are catching fish back to back, I don't think it truly matters. I will usually try and start off with floro with that being said, but if I get broken off I usually won't retie it. I feel like there are so many other factors affecting the bite, but to each his own. I've had times where it seems like it mattered and times where the bite was so good they would've hit anything we threw at em.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Hawglife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
aktxla
Registered Users-pm+

aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Sounds like you guys use heavier braid than I do - I'm typically at 10-12 lb but I suspect if they spook at 30 lb braid they will at 10-12 - there isn't that much difference in diameter. The neutral colors blend in with are typically stained water - I wouldn't want fluorescent yellow tied directly to my lure.

Thanks for the feedback.
aktxla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #7
Captain Dave
Standing on a Whale fishing for Minnows

Captain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to Pirate
Use your location when posting feeching ?? cause the water conditions prevail the answer. Middle coat to lower I will use a leader if the water is clear.

Straight Braid on upper coast and never an issue. Just ask Capt Mickey . I will use a leader in real clear water conditions which dont happen in the upper coast bays (except west ) Topwater benefits some, but i have no issues and cant remember the year that i tied on a leader.

Try it an like it or forget about it
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #8
Capt. Marcus Canales

Capt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to Pirate
When I used braid, I tied Mono as a leader, to a loop knot to jig heads or top water....Floro sinks, but you still need that little stretch, especially if your drag isn't set right. Just my .02

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Capt. Marcus Canales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 09:43 PM   #9
Sabinekid09
Registered Users-pm+

Sabinekid09 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I have atleast a 3' leader on at all times. I believe anything you can do to help your chances of fooling a fish you do it. Plus I use super slick 8 and I have lost several fish tying straight to topwaters and my knots slipping.
Sabinekid09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 10:31 PM   #10
EJ@TSFMag
Registered Users-pm+

EJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to Pirate
I've tried every possible rigging/tying technique. Over 20 yrs experience I eventually settled with plain mono 20# leader connected to 30# braid with Crazy Alberto and all lures are tied with No-Slip Loop.
EJ@TSFMag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message