Guide Fishing Etiquette - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 04-19-2017, 10:01 PM   #11
holysmokes
Registered Users-pm+

holysmokes has been promoted to Pirateholysmokes has been promoted to Pirateholysmokes has been promoted to Pirateholysmokes has been promoted to Pirateholysmokes has been promoted to Pirateholysmokes has been promoted to Pirateholysmokes has been promoted to Pirateholysmokes has been promoted to Pirateholysmokes has been promoted to Pirateholysmokes has been promoted to Pirateholysmokes has been promoted to Pirate
Wading Wonder... I hope you fish better then you type. I felt stupid after reading your post. Dang son.
holysmokes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #12
Capt. Marcus Canales

Capt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to Pirate
Lol.....simply stated...it goes both ways....

Last summer, had a guide watching with binos...I was drifting a small set of rocks, we were catching....he rolls in when I fired up and was putting to set up another drift....he rolls in, center, drops both power poles, I'm drifting towards him....clients are mad....I giggle.....he had a couple of bikinis on board.....long story short, we ended up trading beers and turned what could have been a nasty day to a pretty good day.

I'm a guide, is what it is....weekends are horrible with "regular" people, but as a guide....I have plan b,c,d,e,f,g.....smile and go about your day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Capt. Marcus Canales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 11:47 PM   #13
FlusherK
Registered Users-pm+

FlusherK is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I only see bad behavior if I go on weekends, I know where to go and have the water to myself tue thru thu. No need to get going to fast just follow the bait.
FlusherK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 12:01 AM   #14
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
I think it's like saying over the road truck drivers are the most discourteous. When in reality they likely drive almost 200,000 miles a year therefore they are the most experienced and are simply on the road so much more than your normal 20,000-50,000 mile a year commuter. More of them....more time on the road... more exposure. YOU think they own the road in your minimal experience.

Like having your little hobby jump seat plane and complaining that commercial airline pilots hog the skies....come AWN now.

Remember guides are Coast Guard Licensed Captains first. You cannot buy a guide license without a Captains license. So these highly experienced Captains are on the water 8 hours a day just like you at your desk. They put 500 hours or more per year. Most weekenders put 30-60 hours a year on their boat. Captians have the most experience in keeping themselves, their passengers, their vessel and everybody else on the water as safe as possible.

So the weekenders show up to the Captains office and then complain about THEIR fishing time. Come AWN now....

Simple courtesy is given both ways. The most experienced guys in the world whether they be driving, flying, boating whatever simply have the most exposure to the more inexperienced operators complaints.

Worry about yourself.....enjoy your time on the water.

I guarantee you won't see a Captain posting crying about the inexperienced operations of the googans....part of the job that they have way way way more exposure to having to deal with it daily. And still keep a positive attitude, keeping the trip interesting, and producing for their clients.....the guides deal daily with what you complain about due to their exposure to the more inexperienced boaters.

Unless you have spent some time with a Captain at his office for a day in a difficult job and see how hard you are to please and deal with on a daily basis all while also having to perform with the abundance of vastly inexperienced new boaters then you shouldn't complain. If said Captain does act in such a way well he works for you that day and request he change his ways for your trip.

Last edited by sgrem; 04-20-2017 at 12:08 AM.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 07:36 AM   #15
Kyle 1974
Registered Users-pm+

Kyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to Pirate
how do you know they're guides? I've had people come in on me that are guides, and people that have really cool t tops on their boat. frankly, I worry way more about bay boats with t tops potlicking or doing something silly, but that's just me.
Kyle 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #16
Trouthappy
Trouthappy

Trouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to Pirate
Last week these two big guys about 60 years old in a big two-engine Whaler drove straight up my drift from downwind, and stopped only 40 yards away. Not only cutting me off, but drifting back down their own prop wash...We moved a mile and next time they approached us from upwind, stopped 60 yards away and drifted exactly down our drift. It was weird, them following my jonboat around. Later at the boat ramp, they were right beside us, pulling out, and acted like they'd never seen us before. We never said a word to them. Anyway, we limited out on trout.
Trouthappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #17
troutsupport

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
we think we can tell that its a party of 5 ...must be a guide... but really, unless it's a wrapped boat with a guide's name and number on it we really don't know for sure. I've had all of it and not just on weekends, they can fall in any category.

Another funny thing Im seeing is that the same guy can run right past you way to close while he's driving, but if he's fishing....look out.. better stay away. Same guy, it's like a light switch goes off and fish don't exist when we become navigators and we totally forgot the space WE want as fishermen. The fisherman becomes a navigator in an instant and other fishermen don't exist anymore.. its now just a bunch of other boat drivers sitting or standing and there must not be any fish in the water or around their boats anymore so its ok to pass close. Then he reaches his fishing spot and all of a sudden you better not get within a 1/4 mile of him. LOL.. same guy, different perspective.
troutsupport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #18
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+

Drundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to Pirate
Try taking another tactic, if you are sure its a guide, hell even if not, film it and commentate during the video what's wrong with the situation and turn it into a teaching experience. Then put it on youtube, facebook, and tag the guide (if you know its a guide) and do a little public shaming and teaching for those that don't know they did anything wrong.
Drundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #19
Trouthappy
Trouthappy

Trouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to Pirate
Yep, compare guides (many of them laid-back, small coastal town residents) with the big city weekend crowds, many of whom haven't chilled out yet from from a stressful week. Also, compare guides with the weekend bay tournaments, lots of rocket boats driven by A-type personality drivers—you don't want to get in their way.
Trouthappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #20
Rack Ranch
Certified Animal Chiropractor

Rack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to Pirate
I have more problems with city slicker idiots who have more money than sense. There should be a minimal IQ established to own a boat.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
Rack Ranch is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message