Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 04-18-2017, 09:29 PM   #1
Nate6231
Registered Users-pm+

Nate6231 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Advice on spincasters

My 13 yr old son is finally ready for a decent spin caster, what are some good choices in the 100-125 dollar range? I never look at them, been throwing baitcasters since I was his age.
Nate6231 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
223AI
Registered Users-pm+

223AI has been promoted to Pirate223AI has been promoted to Pirate223AI has been promoted to Pirate223AI has been promoted to Pirate223AI has been promoted to Pirate223AI has been promoted to Pirate223AI has been promoted to Pirate223AI has been promoted to Pirate223AI has been promoted to Pirate223AI has been promoted to Pirate223AI has been promoted to Pirate
Spincast or spinning reel?
223AI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2017, 09:46 PM   #3
Nate6231
Registered Users-pm+

Spinning reel, sorry I didn't realize the other one was called a spincaster.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:58 PM   #4
Wading Wonder
Been diagnosed with fishing fever

Wading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to Pirate
Try the Lews Mach 1 spinning reel. The reel is only $59.99 and will stand up to the saltwater. You could go ahead and get the matching Mach 1 rod to go with it for $100 for the combo. That is a great combo that won't break the bank. Or just check out the Lews website. They have several spinning reels in the price range you are looking for. www.captmatulafishing.com
Attached Images

Wading Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2017, 10:05 PM   #5
Nate6231
Registered Users-pm+

Thanks
Old 04-18-2017, 10:55 PM   #6
wiznut
Registered Users-pm+

wiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Pirate
My choice in that price range would be the Pflueger President XT. Solid performance/reliability in a pretty light reel for the price.
wiznut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 07:33 AM   #7
Salty Dog
Registered Users-pm+

Salty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to Pirate
My Lew's spinning reels have done really well. I was using all Penn spinners and have been buying Lew's as my Penns are dying off. The Lew's spinners are holding up better long term with less issues.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 07:35 AM   #8
LaddH
Registered Users-pm+

LaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiznut View Post
My choice in that price range would be the Pflueger President XT. Solid performance/reliability in a pretty light reel for the price.
Cabela's has them on sale now for 50 bucks.
I haven't used the XT but have used The President, the regular one, in Saltwater and they hold up well.
I may have to order a couple of XTs.
Nothing last forever in the salt , at least not of the under 75 dollar reels that I use.
I would like to try the Lew's sometime. I may have to get one of those too.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishi...el/2429195.uts

Last edited by LaddH; 04-19-2017 at 07:41 AM.
LaddH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #9
Bull Red
Spending way too much time on 2Cool

Bull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to Pirate
The Shimano Syncopate 2500FG is a great Spinning Reel for beginners. I like it because of the self-centering bail ....and because it's a Shimano. They are very smooth and only cost about $30.

I had to re-teach an old friend with Alzheimer's how to fish last summer and this was the ticket.
Attached Images

Bull Red is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #10
Bull Red
Spending way too much time on 2Cool

Bull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
My Lew's spinning reels have done really well. I was using all Penn spinners and have been buying Lew's as my Penns are dying off. The Lew's spinners are holding up better long term with less issues.
I haven't bought a Lew's spinning reel since the SS series because they were nothing but problems for me. First the handle stripped out, then the bearings rusted. I hope they are better now, but I'll stick with my Shimanos.
Bull Red is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message