here a guide there a guide - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 04-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #11
BFI-TX
Registered Users-pm+

BFI-TX has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BFI-TX has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BFI-TX has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BFI-TX has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BFI-TX has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BFI-TX has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BFI-TX has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BFI-TX has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BFI-TX has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BFI-TX has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BFI-TX has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Explain how the guides have "virtually ruined it for us all". From what I understand there is testing per the U.S Coast Guard for a captain's liscense and TP&W liscensing requirements as well, to work as a guide. I agree there are more out there than in days past. I know a few as friends and have fished with a hand full over the years. Some full time, some with regular jobs doing it on the side and others who retired from different occupations. The full timers who are good at there craft I'm sure make a decent living but earn every penny of it. The part timers are smart, in my opinion; doing what they love in there off time...write off the boat, make a couple extra bucks etc. The retirees might just pick and choose..cherry picking there days and clients. Your revolving door theory might be explained in two different ways. One: the market can only support so many professionals in any given field. Two: I bet most new to the biz don't initially understand the time and money it takes to make it through the first couple of years(just like any other business). Either way, nature takes its course and those that plan for the ups and downs make it and those that fly by the seat of there paints go by the wayside(just like any other business). The ones I know work hard for there money and are passionate about the resource and there trade and I respect that. From what I've been told it's an extremely competitive business and to top it off mother nature and fickle fish are your main business partners.
BFI-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2017, 09:36 PM   #12
Lone-Star
Registered Users-pm+

Lone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to Pirate
It should be a limited entry license just like all the other commercial licenses. I'm sure it will be at some point.
Lone-Star is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2017, 10:52 PM   #13
gater
Gater

gater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirate
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by c hook View Post
I know this is a sore subject, but has everyone just decided to become a guide. There are a hell of allot of much higher paying jobs out there, and no turning the love of your life into a job doesn't mean you will never work another day in your life. Doesn't matter where you go it is covered up with guides. Are there no regulations, tests, etc or what?? I would never want that job, but at the same time they have virtually ruined it for the average fisherman. It's disgusting in my opinion, and I've seen it all. "Here a wrapped whaler, there a wrapped whaler, everywhere a wrapped whaler whaler."

Sad part is a new few hundred sign up each year, as a previous years few hundred drop out like flies. Like a conveyor belt, rolling them in as they roll out the back side. And a few stick only to suffer the agony of defeat or being broke.

I'm talked to alot of guides and they will tell you, do not get into this business and try to raise your family, it's a struggle.
What wrapped whalers are you talking about, I really don't think they are everywhere.
gater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2017, 10:53 PM   #14
TexasRenegade
"On the Run"

TexasRenegade has been promoted to PirateTexasRenegade has been promoted to PirateTexasRenegade has been promoted to PirateTexasRenegade has been promoted to PirateTexasRenegade has been promoted to PirateTexasRenegade has been promoted to PirateTexasRenegade has been promoted to PirateTexasRenegade has been promoted to PirateTexasRenegade has been promoted to PirateTexasRenegade has been promoted to PirateTexasRenegade has been promoted to Pirate
BFI-TX couldn't have put it any better. I'm seeing more and more guides practicing "empty stringers" and know of several that that won't let you keep a slot fish over a certain length. And they have to have a USCG 6-pack license and TPWD guide license at a minimum. Are there people out there taking groups fishing that don't have the proper licensing, most definitely. Are many of the weekend guides lowballing prices trying to get customers, yep. But the good ones stay booked for a reason.

I see people buying more and more fishing licenses, which means more money for conservation, enforcement, boat ramp improvement, etc. And if their options are to go with a cheap guide or buy their own boat and go out will little experience, I prefer they go with a guide.
TexasRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2017, 12:11 AM   #15
Big Bay
Registered Users-pm+

Big Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Quote:
Originally Posted by gater View Post
What wrapped whalers are you talking about, I really don't think they are everywhere.

Lmao Gater don't you have a Salt Water Soul wrapped whaler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Bay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2017, 12:44 AM   #16
gater
Gater

gater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirate
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bay View Post
Lmao Gater don't you have a Salt Water Soul wrapped whaler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As a matter of fact I do but I am a fishing guide either. I only know of of a few wrapped whaler that are guides and the are definitely not new to guiding!
gater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2017, 05:55 AM   #17
C.Hern5972
Team Salty Knots

C.Hern5972 has been promoted to PirateC.Hern5972 has been promoted to PirateC.Hern5972 has been promoted to PirateC.Hern5972 has been promoted to PirateC.Hern5972 has been promoted to PirateC.Hern5972 has been promoted to PirateC.Hern5972 has been promoted to PirateC.Hern5972 has been promoted to PirateC.Hern5972 has been promoted to PirateC.Hern5972 has been promoted to PirateC.Hern5972 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by gater View Post
As a matter of fact I do but I am a fishing guide either. I only know of of a few wrapped whaler that are guides and the are definitely not new to guiding!

true
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2017, 07:53 AM   #18
mbrantley01
Registered Users-pm+

mbrantley01 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermbrantley01 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermbrantley01 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermbrantley01 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermbrantley01 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermbrantley01 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermbrantley01 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermbrantley01 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermbrantley01 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermbrantley01 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermbrantley01 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
I fished offshore alot. I got my captain license and other permits. I started guiding just to help with the expenses.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
mbrantley01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2017, 08:46 AM   #19
bubbas kenner
Gods blessings surround us.

bubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by c hook View Post
back at you, read between the lines if you can read.
That is not very polite just saying and to spend a day on the boat with a stranger not me.
bubbas kenner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2017, 11:08 AM   #20
DUTY FIRST
Registered Users-pm+

DUTY FIRST has been promoted to PirateDUTY FIRST has been promoted to PirateDUTY FIRST has been promoted to PirateDUTY FIRST has been promoted to PirateDUTY FIRST has been promoted to PirateDUTY FIRST has been promoted to PirateDUTY FIRST has been promoted to PirateDUTY FIRST has been promoted to PirateDUTY FIRST has been promoted to PirateDUTY FIRST has been promoted to PirateDUTY FIRST has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Star View Post
It should be a limited entry license just like all the other commercial licenses. I'm sure it will be at some point.
WHY ? What is the point? Have you any evidence that guides have a negative effect on the resource

Should there also be limited entry for pest control services, plumbers, septic pumpers, electricians, HVAC services etc. ? These all require commercial licensing.
DUTY FIRST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message