Which spinning rod to buy? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 04-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #1
elgatogus
Registered Users-pm+

elgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirate
Which spinning rod to buy?

Looking to get a new spinning rod.

I used to have a DUCE spinning rod ( 7' saltwater redfish series ) with a shimano stradik with 20lb braid. .. I loved that set up. Till this day that has been the best set up I have ever had. I used it a lot with my artificials and it was really easy on my wrist. I could chunk lures all day and the wrist would be happy. Until I lost it.. I'm having a hard time finding a dealer in Texas that carries that same rod. Before I reach out to Louisiana ( DUCE RODS ) I wanted to see if there is some rods locally that I can look at.??

I am looking to replace my spinning rod I use for trout, reds and flounder. ( something that can handle big reds that we have in the fall season too) I need something very light but strong back bone.

What do you all recommend? Or what are you all using?

Thanks in advance!

Gus
elgatogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #2
Bull Red
Spending way too much time on 2Cool

Bull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to Pirate
I have a hard time finding good spinning rods in the big box stores. That's why the last 3 I bought were custom built by BillyStiX. http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/sh....php?t=2245977
Bull Red is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 04:49 PM   #3
troutsupport

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Well, first of all, LA isn't that far away.. If you Duce, give them a shout and get a similar stick. That's still local enough.

Secondly, what price range are you looking?

Thirdly, what method are you going to use to target the bulls. You can certainly catch a bull red on a Med Action from the boat using a 1-2 oz egg sinker and cut bait or live crab.

I'm really enjoying my Lews Speed Sticks and Custom Speed Stick Lite. For the price they are a lot of rod. *5 million modulus graphite and the lite has Winn grips. Its a stock rod; I like stock rods. But if you want something more custom go with a LaGuna or Sarge. There are other good rods as well, like the falcon buccoo that are great values as well, and Castways makes a great line.
troutsupport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #4
elgatogus
Registered Users-pm+

elgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirateelgatogus has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutsupport View Post
Well, first of all, LA isn't that far away.. If you Duce, give them a shout and get a similar stick. That's still local enough.

Thirdly, what method are you going to use to target the bulls. You can certainly catch a bull red on a Med Action from the boat using a 1-2 oz egg sinker and cut bait or live crab.

I'm really enjoying my Lews Speed Sticks and Custom Speed Stick Lite. For the price they are a lot of rod. *5 million modulus graphite and the lite has Winn grips. Its a stock rod; I like stock rods. But if you want something more custom go with a LaGuna or Sarge. There are other good rods as well, like the falcon buccoo that are great values as well, and Castways makes a great line.
I will reach out to Duce to see if I can find a couple of their rods. What I like about their rod is that it was extremely sensitive. I could even feel the slightest bite. I was just trying to see what other rods are out there. Looking for real person experience with other rods.

Budget is around $200 per rod.

I don't use bait, strictly artificials. Gotta love when them reds crush them arties!

Gus
elgatogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2017, 03:58 PM   #5
wiznut
Registered Users-pm+

wiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Pirate
I do the same fishing as you and couldn't find a rod that matched what I wanted off the rack. I was looking for a 7' Light - Fast that weighed under 4oz and was super sensitive. Goal was to grind all day throwing 1/16 to 1/4oz heads and not get wore out. I ended up building one to get what I wanted.
wiznut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2017, 09:43 PM   #6
artys only
Registered Users-pm+

artys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirate
Get with victor at Laguna they have the liquid series which run around $160 , or you can go full custom and they will build the rods to your specs . Customs run more thou . They are in Katy Texas . 281-665-1300
artys only is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2017, 09:53 PM   #7
Righand
Registered Users-pm+

Righand is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Righand is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Righand is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Righand is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Righand is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Righand is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Righand is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Righand is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Righand is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Righand is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Righand is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I have Falcon, Laguna and Cajun. The Cajun Coastal with a full grip is my favorite. I like the shorter handle, it's made in the US and I feel that it's a good all around rod.
Righand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2017, 05:38 AM   #8
TreyW81
POC H20

TreyW81 has been promoted to the rank of GunnerTreyW81 has been promoted to the rank of GunnerTreyW81 has been promoted to the rank of GunnerTreyW81 has been promoted to the rank of GunnerTreyW81 has been promoted to the rank of GunnerTreyW81 has been promoted to the rank of GunnerTreyW81 has been promoted to the rank of GunnerTreyW81 has been promoted to the rank of GunnerTreyW81 has been promoted to the rank of GunnerTreyW81 has been promoted to the rank of GunnerTreyW81 has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
set up

G. Loomis EX6 inshore MH, very light weight rods. The M is great also if you net fish instead of flipping them in the boat, it has plenty of backbone for fighting fish but has a lot of bend if flipping a fish in.

Review: http://www.bdoutdoors.com/performan...x-inshore-rod/

Dealer locator: http://map.shimano.com/dealers/map/na-gloomis

The new Abu Garcia MGX reels are very light but expensive. I don't have one so can't say anything about its performance.
TreyW81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2017, 08:17 AM   #9
gman1772
All men die, not all men really live.

gman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirate
I use Falcon Bucoo's & Falcon Coastal XG's on the spinners. If I were replacing them I'd go with Laguna Liquids. If that Duce was what you preferred it's well worth the drive to go get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gman1772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2017, 09:46 AM   #10
Wading Wonder
Been diagnosed with fishing fever

Wading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutsupport View Post

I agree with Troutsupport on this one. Take a look at Lews rods. You wont beat the price or the bang for the buck. I use the Mach 1 spinning combos for my clients and they handle everything from trout to 20# jacks.

www.captmatulafishing.com
Wading Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message