Galveston Bay system - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 04-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #11
HooknUp
Registered Users-pm+

HooknUp has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HooknUp has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HooknUp has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HooknUp has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HooknUp has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HooknUp has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HooknUp has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HooknUp has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HooknUp has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HooknUp has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HooknUp has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Cats do fine in the bay system. Wind can get bad quick just like any bay. Whatever boat you do chose just make sure it suits the kinda fishing you enjoy. The easiest launch i think at Trinity is Thompsons. But its all on what part of the bay you like to fish.
HooknUp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2017, 08:04 PM   #12
KadeChiz
Registered Users-pm+

KadeChiz has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKadeChiz has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKadeChiz has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKadeChiz has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKadeChiz has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKadeChiz has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKadeChiz has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKadeChiz has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKadeChiz has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKadeChiz has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKadeChiz has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
To answer your question about launches, you can launch at fatboys, Louie's bait camp, a new place on 61st in Galveston. That would be the main west bay launches I believe. You can mark Louie's off the list if you get a raised console due to the bridge you have to idle under.
KadeChiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #13
dk2429
Pro life, pro gun, Trump 2016

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxhunter View Post
Thanks guys. Where do you normally launch when fishing west bay? How about east or trinity bay?
Easiest way to west bay in my opinion is fat boys. Just put in, follow the channel to the ICW, and your there. For east bay I put in at the dike. Little run but not bad. I've never hardcore fished trinity, but the one time I was there I put in at the kemah ramp under 146. If you put in at Thompsons though then trinity bay is right there
dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2017, 10:36 PM   #14
pmiceli
Registered Users-pm+

pmiceli is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Trinity from the west side-Eagle Point Fish Camp for a fee

Bayside Park or Highway 146 at Dickinson Bayou for free. Highway 146 launch is right next to Hillmans if you want some live bait.

This google map is pretty handy for scouting launches.

http://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...US&usp=sharing
pmiceli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2017, 07:01 AM   #15
habanerojooz
Registered Users-pm+

habanerojooz has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matehabanerojooz has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matehabanerojooz has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matehabanerojooz has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matehabanerojooz has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matehabanerojooz has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matehabanerojooz has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matehabanerojooz has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matehabanerojooz has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matehabanerojooz has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matehabanerojooz has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
Launch options that I use....

Upper West Bay - Fat Boy's
Middle West Bay - Waterman's Grill and Marina
Lower West Bay - San Luis Pass County Park

You can reach both ends of West Bay from either the lower and upper launch spots. I threw in that middle launch spot in case you go down there and rent a beach house. The upper and lower launch spots are free. The middle spot has a fee ($5?). There are a few other ramps, but these work well and give me access to where I want to be.

East Bay launch options...
- Texas City Dike (TCD) - several ramps along the dike, I use the one at the far end; take a short run across the channel and you're in East Bay
- Stingaree Marina - on the Bolivar peninsula side, takes more time due to having to take the ferry across to Bolivar; I only use this option when I want to eliminate a rough ride across the channel from the TCD launch

Haven't spent any time in Trinity bay.

I live in Houston, not far from Katy, and I keep my boat in storage down near Galveston. You may need to do that if you're not allowed to keep a boat at the house. PM me if you have questions.
habanerojooz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2017, 11:17 PM   #16
SolarScreenGuy

SolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxhunter View Post
My wife and I recently moved out to Katy and we're thinking of buying a boat. I've never fished the Galveston bay system and don't know what to expect. I used to fish the Lower Laguna Madre which had tons of shallow water. A shallow water boat was a must. Using google maps and looking at the distance to the bay it looks like west bay and maybe trinity bay will be the area fished the most.

What are the depths like? Is sight fishing pretty common up here? I a shallow boat a must in these waters or is it better to look for something that takes the chop well?

I've been considering several cat boats from shoalwater, haynie, and trans.

So far not having much luck with test rides from two different dealers. They both water a deposit for a test ride. Is this normal in this area?
Definitely want a hull that can handle some wide open and deep water. You won't be running a lot of shallow flats and GBAY System can get rough big time. I do believe the bigger cats will handle it just fine, and give you the best of both worlds so to speak.
www.solarscreenguys.com
SolarScreenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2017, 09:10 AM   #17
c hook
Registered Users-pm+

c hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Pirate
tarpon old school mako

I'm fishing a 1975 20 foot mako, purchased for $4,500.00 in 1989, but have spent about a million bucks over the years remotoring, re-trailering etc. A boat that has a simi-v and can get you shallow if needed. Not 1/2 inch of water shallow but shallow enough to wade. And you do not need a shallow runner for west bay. There are allot of all-around boats out there. I'd personally stay away from low profile shallow water boats for Galvetraz. Good luck and hope this helps.
Attached Images

c hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2017, 09:42 AM   #18
bwguardian
archTech

bwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiceli View Post
This google map is pretty handy for scouting launches.

http://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?...US&usp=sharing
Good map...just beware that it is dated as I see a couple ramps that have not been in operation for quite some time.
bwguardian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #19
Salty_UH
WHOSE HOUSE? COOGS HOUSE!

Salty_UH has been promoted to PirateSalty_UH has been promoted to PirateSalty_UH has been promoted to PirateSalty_UH has been promoted to PirateSalty_UH has been promoted to PirateSalty_UH has been promoted to PirateSalty_UH has been promoted to PirateSalty_UH has been promoted to PirateSalty_UH has been promoted to PirateSalty_UH has been promoted to PirateSalty_UH has been promoted to Pirate
c hook, NICE mako.....

I am in a newer model pathfinder and thinking about ditching the high $ ride and go with a remake i can do on my own like your mako.

How long did it take to get it "fishable" and would you recommend to do it again or was it a pain in the arse?
Salty_UH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message