Galveston Bay system - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 04-11-2017, 09:58 PM   #1
stxhunter

stxhunter has been promoted to Piratestxhunter has been promoted to Piratestxhunter has been promoted to Piratestxhunter has been promoted to Piratestxhunter has been promoted to Piratestxhunter has been promoted to Piratestxhunter has been promoted to Piratestxhunter has been promoted to Piratestxhunter has been promoted to Piratestxhunter has been promoted to Piratestxhunter has been promoted to Pirate
Galveston Bay system

My wife and I recently moved out to Katy and we're thinking of buying a boat. I've never fished the Galveston bay system and don't know what to expect. I used to fish the Lower Laguna Madre which had tons of shallow water. A shallow water boat was a must. Using google maps and looking at the distance to the bay it looks like west bay and maybe trinity bay will be the area fished the most.

What are the depths like? Is sight fishing pretty common up here? I a shallow boat a must in these waters or is it better to look for something that takes the chop well?

I've been considering several cat boats from shoalwater, haynie, and trans.

So far not having much luck with test rides from two different dealers. They both water a deposit for a test ride. Is this normal in this area?

www.bigpiglights.com
stxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 10:29 PM   #2
OnedayScratch
It Is What It Is

OnedayScratch has been promoted to PirateOnedayScratch has been promoted to PirateOnedayScratch has been promoted to PirateOnedayScratch has been promoted to PirateOnedayScratch has been promoted to PirateOnedayScratch has been promoted to PirateOnedayScratch has been promoted to PirateOnedayScratch has been promoted to PirateOnedayScratch has been promoted to PirateOnedayScratch has been promoted to PirateOnedayScratch has been promoted to Pirate
Trinity averages a 7 foot depth. The predominant winds are from the SE and it is known to get rough. Kenner, Pathfinder, and the like are great boats here. You can get glass and a flats will work but the bay can turn in a heartbeat and that can make for an interesting ride back to the launch.
OnedayScratch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #3
troutsupport

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
X2, can't really describe it much better than that. Plus, you don't want to be on the sidelines due to waiting for light winds. Almost need 2 boats for our areas. Big V and a Poling boat.

Yes, there are numerous sight casting opportunities even in upper trinity bay when the water is right.

See if you can find some good ole 2coolers with the boats you want and offer to pay there gas for a day on the water. You'll want to go on a windy day though. The 23 cats seem to do fine although I haven't had one in trinity on a super rough day. Some of the guys I know have a big boat and something like a kayak or solo skiff for sighcasting.
troutsupport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
KadeChiz
Registered Users-pm+

KadeChiz has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKadeChiz has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKadeChiz has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKadeChiz has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKadeChiz has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKadeChiz has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKadeChiz has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKadeChiz has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKadeChiz has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKadeChiz has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKadeChiz has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
I moved here from the LLM area and I'm now selling my Haynie cat and moving to a V-Hull so I don't have to sit out the spring...
KadeChiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #5
Brian Castille
Texas Aggie Fisherman

Brian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to Pirate
If you are going to fish West Bay only, you can get by with a shallower boat. For west bay, we run a 17' Whaler Montauk. It can get pretty shallow but if the bay gets choppy, you can run in it pretty good in that boat. Typically waves aren't near as big as rest of the bay system. For Trinity, Galveston and East, you need something that can take on rougher water. We run a 21.5' Seaswirl Striper and it takes on the rougher water really good. If I was going to buy a boat today, I'd probably get an old 22' Whaler and repower. You can go with a shallow running boat but will be very limited on a lot of days. If you're in the middle of Galveston Bay drifting on a light wind morning and a storm pops up with lots of wind and waves, you probably don't want to be in a shallow running boat, lol. If you want to try out a certain kind of boat a guide runs, I bet you could call them, figure out a fee and they would take you out for 30 minutes after they wrapped it up with their morning trip.
Brian Castille is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #6
TexasSlam18
Registered Users-pm+

TexasSlam18 has been promoted to PirateTexasSlam18 has been promoted to PirateTexasSlam18 has been promoted to PirateTexasSlam18 has been promoted to PirateTexasSlam18 has been promoted to PirateTexasSlam18 has been promoted to PirateTexasSlam18 has been promoted to PirateTexasSlam18 has been promoted to PirateTexasSlam18 has been promoted to PirateTexasSlam18 has been promoted to PirateTexasSlam18 has been promoted to Pirate
Look in the classifieds here and find you a nice haynie 24HO, z21, or 23 mag you won't be disappointed
TexasSlam18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #7
stxhunter

stxhunter has been promoted to Piratestxhunter has been promoted to Piratestxhunter has been promoted to Piratestxhunter has been promoted to Piratestxhunter has been promoted to Piratestxhunter has been promoted to Piratestxhunter has been promoted to Piratestxhunter has been promoted to Piratestxhunter has been promoted to Piratestxhunter has been promoted to Piratestxhunter has been promoted to Pirate
So pretty much no point in a raised console or worrying about drafts and hole shot under 12"?

If fishing west bay, are there any launch points that don't require you to cross the bigger bay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.bigpiglights.com
Old 04-12-2017, 11:29 PM   #8
dk2429
Pro life, pro gun, Trump 2016

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
Like they said, Trinity/East bay usually hang around 7-8ft. West bay is pretty shallow. It averages at I'd say about 4ft. As far as boat, I'm running a 22 Majek Extreme. I can fish West Bay easily on most any day, but East/Trinity is a different story. I typically don't fish those bays unless the wind is 10mph or under. I've been out to Hanna's in East Bay on a 15-17mph day, and I made it back in one piece safely, but it wasn't fun. Sum it all up, West can be fished pretty easily in most conditions but is better to be on in a shallower boat, East/Trinity can get real bumpy quickly, but that's not too big of an issue with a good deep V boat. I'd say if you can find a Pathfinder, Bluewave, Kenner, nautic star, haynie, etc, you'll be good for all around. The majek does good in probably up to 2 footers, but anything over that can get real bumpy. Good luck!
dk2429 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #9
GeneralRack

GeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Bigfoot

After a lot of research , I bought a Haynie Bigfoot for the Galveston Bay System. It gets up shallow once you learn how to use the jack plate and trim tabs, and handles the swells you see in this system well. Chop is no problem. I spend a lot of time fishing in 1 to 2 feet of water, and don't worry when out deeper, or on the 20 mph days. The knock on the Bigfoot is that it isn't fast, so if you need to go more than 50 mph then you'll want to find a different compromise.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #10
stxhunter

Thanks guys. Where do you normally launch when fishing west bay? How about east or trinity bay?

www.bigpiglights.com