Catching live piggy perch - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 04-11-2017, 01:48 PM   #1
stumpgrinder3
Registered Users-pm+

stumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Pirate
Catching live piggy perch

I had really good luck last summer with piggies I trapped as bait for trout &'reds .

Couple of questions for the expert trappers out there . Best trap bait ? Do you suspend the trap off bottom or lower all the way ? Any pointers appreciated. I bought a bay house and plan on dropping a few range cubes off the dock regularly to keep em around, hopefully
stumpgrinder3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #2
Its Catchy
Registered Users-pm+

Its Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to Pirate
Pogies also known as menhaden work the best for me. If you kind of pulverize them first even better.
Its Catchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #3
Gottagofishin
Roll Tide!

Gottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to Pirate
I just use a kabuki rig tied to a single section of cane pole (or you can just use a stick) right under the dock. They are always there and it takes about 5 minutes to catch a live well full.

You can also tip a small perch hook with shrimp on the same cane pole. Takes a little longer, but you are guaranteed a perch for every drop in the water.
Gottagofishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #4
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Get you an underwater light.
Tiny long shank bream cricket hooks and a piece of corn right on the point of the hook or tiny piece of wiggly worm that covers just the hook point. I turn the kids loose on the dock with the above. At the end of a fishing weekend I usually have to turn loose about 100....lol....

Never caught more than a half dozen or so at a time in the trap. With the above its usually as fast as you can put the hook in the water.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 05:23 AM   #5
TROUTOMATIC
Registered Users-pm+

TROUTOMATIC has been promoted to PirateTROUTOMATIC has been promoted to PirateTROUTOMATIC has been promoted to PirateTROUTOMATIC has been promoted to PirateTROUTOMATIC has been promoted to PirateTROUTOMATIC has been promoted to PirateTROUTOMATIC has been promoted to PirateTROUTOMATIC has been promoted to PirateTROUTOMATIC has been promoted to PirateTROUTOMATIC has been promoted to PirateTROUTOMATIC has been promoted to Pirate
Wink

Speckled trout heads are the best but you cant use ant part of a game fish for bait so use sand trout
TROUTOMATIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #6
James Howell
Registered Users-pm+

James Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to Pirate
Spanish sardines (like the five lb boxes used for offshore bait) work really well. At times the traps work very well, other times they won't go into the trap for whatever reason. Hook and line fishing (sabikis or bream hooks as mentioned above) will get them, or cast netting around fish cleaning stations will get them as well. However, be careful cast netting, as some fish cleaning stations can be loaded with hardheads, which are really no fun to get out of a cast net.
James Howell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #7
propshiner
Registered Users-pm+

propshiner has been promoted to the rank of Privateerpropshiner has been promoted to the rank of Privateerpropshiner has been promoted to the rank of Privateerpropshiner has been promoted to the rank of Privateerpropshiner has been promoted to the rank of Privateerpropshiner has been promoted to the rank of Privateerpropshiner has been promoted to the rank of Privateerpropshiner has been promoted to the rank of Privateerpropshiner has been promoted to the rank of Privateerpropshiner has been promoted to the rank of Privateerpropshiner has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
I used to live in Bayou Vista and used a trap similar to the one in this thread.
http://2coolfishing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1227993

I would let it rest on bottom near my bulkhead and used cheap large dog biscuits for bait. I would not catch many piggy perch this time of year but during the summer I could catch 40-50 in a couple hours.
propshiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #8
LarryG
Registered Users-pm+

LarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to Pirate
Sounds weird but squash a crab with your foot and use that for bait. Works really well.
LarryG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2017, 07:21 AM   #9
capt. david
Registered Users-pm+

capt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Pirate
Hot Dogs
capt. david is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2017, 07:42 AM   #10
Lat22
Registered Users-pm+

Lat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to Pirate
Big chunk dry dog food. I can fill my trap in about 15 minutes.
Lat22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message