Commercial Oyster Boats in East Matagorda - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 04-10-2017, 05:44 PM   #21
capt. david
Registered Users-pm+

capt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Pirate
A oyster grows to full harvest size in 3 years. Tobin is right on his statement. Reefs need to be worked to remain healthy. Just ate some freshly harvested oysters, Christmas Bay oysters and excellent!
capt. david is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2017, 06:26 PM   #22
Gorda Fisher
Registered Users-pm+

Gorda Fisher has been promote to GunnerGorda Fisher has been promote to GunnerGorda Fisher has been promote to GunnerGorda Fisher has been promote to GunnerGorda Fisher has been promote to GunnerGorda Fisher has been promote to GunnerGorda Fisher has been promote to GunnerGorda Fisher has been promote to GunnerGorda Fisher has been promote to GunnerGorda Fisher has been promote to GunnerGorda Fisher has been promote to Gunner
[QUOTE=Bayscout22;20546753]

2) This year the game has changed (see my earlier post). It's difficult to guess how many boats there are but there are enough that they now have three locations where they offload. I'd guess we are between 2 and 3 dozen boats.

Try +-60 last Tuesday in east

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gorda Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2017, 06:30 PM   #23
Salty Dog
Registered Users-pm+

Salty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to Pirate
I'd like to see all that harvested shell go back in the bay it came out of. It would make a great base to start new reefs.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2017, 08:22 PM   #24
Im Headed South
Registered Users-pm+

Im Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to Pirate
Oysters take 18 months to reach market size (3").
Im Headed South is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2017, 08:35 PM   #25
BretE
It ain't easy bein me.........

BretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
I'd like to see all that harvested shell go back in the bay it came out of. It would make a great base to start new reefs.
I was watching an episode of Lone Star Law last night on the DVR and thought the Game Warden checking an oyster boat said the shell had to go back where it came from.....
BretE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2017, 08:38 PM   #26
Salty Dog
Registered Users-pm+

Salty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretE View Post
I was watching an episode of Lone Star Law last night on the DVR and thought the Game Warden checking an oyster boat said the shell had to go back where it came from.....
Not the shell containing oysters. It is taken to a shucker, shucked, piled up and sold to fill in potholes and driveways.

They are referring to the cull.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2017, 08:41 PM   #27
Im Headed South
Registered Users-pm+

Im Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to Pirate
The ones that get thrown into refrigerated trucks and are sent all over the US all end up in landfills.
Im Headed South is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 09:36 AM   #28
Stuart
Borders, language, culture

Stuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt. david View Post
.....Reefs need to be worked to remain healthy.........
I read where the Karankawa Indians had a heck of a oyster dredge fleet.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 12:13 PM   #29
Bayscout22
***, Over?

Bayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
Not the shell containing oysters. It is taken to a shucker, shucked, piled up and sold to fill in potholes and driveways.

They are referring to the cull.

And the funniest part... You can't buy shell from any from the processor (s) if you tried (and I recently have tried). The County buys all they can deliver.

I guess it helps to defray the cost of building 60' piers.
Bayscout22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #30
troutsupport

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
The last two years in Galveston have seen multiple 500 and 1000 year flood events...
http://www.texastribune.org/2016/12/...wn-plain-text/
Hope this helps provide information, really only intend to provide some information from the perspective of being the one person that has side scanned the entire Galveston Bay Complex and what really happened out there under the water.

Floods ... Yes, that's going to help the oyster population tremendously. First of all, all that fresh water finally pushed out or killed the the high salinity predators that were decimating the reefs... But, temporarily it also killed a lot of Trinity bay and upper Galveston bay oyster due to staying fresh too long. All those oysters that were killed will be substrate for the 'spat' (oyster larvae) to land on right now. Right now we finally have the right conditions if it will just last like that for a couple of years.

Also, with regard to the Karankawa Indian comment.... no, they didn't need to turn their oyster beds... they didn't have the problem with sediment runoff that we have today. There were no agricultural crops, it was all grasslands that protected the soils. Today we primarily have unprotected soils in almost all rural areas for miles and miles and those unprotected soils are available to translocation from rain and erosion. Find a map of Mattagorda at the mouth of the Colorado from 100 years ago and there was no road to the beach... that road to the beach was built on sediment that formed from after the industrial / agricultural age. Over about 40 years that system changed dramatically. Im not saying we go back to that... because we can't. We have to look at how to maximize everything for all parties involved and it's not a one variable equation. Its multi variate with lots of problems to think thru. I'm not saying that harvest doesn't need to be managed either. But currently I can tell you that oyster boat activity on reefs that are harvested is helpful to sustaining a healthy fishery for us. If not, it would all be buried in sediment. Also, I think its only fair that everyone knows that it's not the oyster industry that has decimated our reefs, it was 8 years of draught and high salinity predators to oysters. I can tell you from personal observation that is what wiped it out. While it takes 3 years for an oyster to become big enough to harvest.. it only takes 3 months for new reef to form on hard substrate that was turned up... and trout and reds don't care what size oyster is on it... as long as it's live it's better fishing.

I also am not for or against the oyster industry.. I remember Saturday Night Live long ago when RosanaRosanaDanna said "eating raw oysters are like chewing on a flemball".. Classic. LOL
troutsupport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message