Commercial Oyster Boats in East Matagorda - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 04-10-2017, 12:03 PM   #11
Trouthappy
Trouthappy

Trouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majek11 View Post
Probably pretty hard if you're in the oyster business,I'm not a fan of the big oyster companies but shutting down someone's living gives me the creeps.
It happened to the beach seiners first, then the gillnetters and trotliners. They presumably found other jobs. And coastal fishing bounced back. Destructive shrimp trawling with wasted bycatch has been cut back, too. If a harvest method is overall too destructive, it should be phased out. What percentage of oyster fishermen are in good standing with the law?
Trouthappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #12
Majek11

Majek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouthappy View Post
It happened to the beach seiners first, then the gillnetters and trotliners. They presumably found other jobs. And coastal fishing bounced back. Destructive shrimp trawling with wasted bycatch has been cut back, too. If a harvest method is overall too destructive, it should be phased out. What percentage of oyster fishermen are in good standing with the law?
Next guides
Majek11 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #13
troutsupport

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
With all due respect guys, I personally side scanned Christmas bay last year for oysters and there wasn't really anything left for them to 'destroy'. All the years of high salinity is what killed all the oysters in Chrismas as well as 85% of all of Galveston Bay reef. All they did was coon a few oysters off the crests of the reefs and it was probly pretty hard pickins. Where they took oyster from isn't really much use to the trout that's for sure. Also all the raking that oyster boats do helps keep the substrate from being silted over. In east bay and in trinity the oyster companies have actually spent a lot of there fuel raking old buried beds to try to bring substrate back up to the top so new reef can form. There's not a lot of oyster left out there; id hate to be trying to make a living doing that after 11 years of drought. That's what has removed all the beds from the bays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
troutsupport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #14
edwardg361
Registered Users-pm+

edwardg361 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Brew

X2 troutsupport
edwardg361 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #15
Bayscout22
***, Over?

Bayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutsupport View Post
With all due respect guys, I personally side scanned Christmas bay last year for oysters and there wasn't really anything left for them to 'destroy'. All the years of high salinity is what killed all the oysters in Chrismas as well as 85% of all of Galveston Bay reef. All they did was coon a few oysters off the crests of the reefs and it was probly pretty hard pickins. Where they took oyster from isn't really much use to the trout that's for sure. Also all the raking that oyster boats do helps keep the substrate from being silted over. In east bay and in trinity the oyster companies have actually spent a lot of there fuel raking old buried beds to try to bring substrate back up to the top so new reef can form. There's not a lot of oyster left out there; id hate to be trying to make a living doing that after 11 years of drought. That's what has removed all the beds from the bays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not really on top of what happened in Christmas Bay or what remains of the reefs there. I have only heard stories.

I can personally attest to what has and is happening in Matagorda. Maybe living "amongst the oyster boats" under the bridge gives me a unique perspective.

I can absolutely tell you that two things are true.

1) When we bought our place twelve years ago, there were a few oyster boats that were all run by locals. Over time, and up until this year, the number of boats increased to around 10, at any given time, all run by folks that are not from here. These boys only rarely went East, but they absolutely bum rushed West Matagorda Bay. I would venture a guess that virtually every oyster was offloaded at one place (directly across from my condo) during this period.

2) This year the game has changed (see my earlier post). It's difficult to guess how many boats there are but there are enough that they now have three locations where they offload. I'd guess we are between 2 and 3 dozen boats.

It's also difficult for me to buy that drought got Christmas Bay, when I know it was a mob that got West Matagorda. I'd believe that all three bay systems have had roughly the same rainfall over the past ten years.
Bayscout22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2017, 04:13 PM   #16
pickn'fish
Registered Users-pm+

pickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Pirate
The last two years in Galveston have seen multiple 500 and 1000 year flood events...
http://www.texastribune.org/2016/12...wn-plain-text/
pickn'fish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2017, 04:37 PM   #17
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
Dennis Bonnen
March 29 at 4:04pm ยท
Most Texans are unaware of a crisis affecting one of our precious natural resources that will take generations to recover. Oysters are the foundation of our entire aquatic ecosystem, positively impacting other marine species and keeping our bays healthy. Leaders in Texas conservation, including the Coastal Conservation Association and The Galveston Bay Foundation, have expressed grave concern for the future of oysters in Texas and the negative impact of overharvesting on our entire ecosystem. On Tuesday in the House Culture, Recreation, and Tourism Committee, I spoke out very directly and forcefully against the lies, bullying and underhanded tactics being used by several unscrupulous oyster operations in Texas who have no regard for our state laws and regulations. These operators overharvest our bays, destroy our reefs, deplete our oyster supply, and cost taxpayers millions of dollars while repeatedly denying their abuse of our coastal waters. Most recently, a company caused a massive marine pile-up in Brazoria County while challenging our local elected leaders when asked to rectify the situation. In yesterday's hearing, this same company admitted that over the past four years they have hired former investigative reporter Wayne Dolcefino, who personally called to threaten and intimidate me this morning. It is time for Texas to restore integrity and honesty in this industry while, most importantly, strengthening the protection of our ecosystem."

From State Rep. Dennis Bonnen's Facebook page
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #18
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
http://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0...=5951E01C&dl=1

From the Christmas Bay Foundation Facebook page
Old 04-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #19
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

http://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net...=594D9D5A&dl=1

One more from the Christmas Bay foundation page.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:54 PM   #20
Majek11

Majek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to Pirate
Just so everyone understands I'm not for these boats over harvesting and trashing out the bay,but I'm not for a 10 year ban on the way some locals make their living and feed their family.Ive never seen the government stick their beak in and cut anything off then give it back,and if they did give it back who would do it then?All the small time locals would have been out of business after the first year,them here comes the out of town foreign boats.
Majek11 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message