Bait-caster setup. What do you use? - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 03-29-2017, 12:02 PM   #21
Brian Castille
Texas Aggie Fisherman

Brian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to Pirate
More than likely, you will not get two of the same answers on here.

There are plenty of baitcasting reels that will get the job done. Just make sure you don't get some low gear ratio reel that's for crankbaits, lol. For throwing lures, I like the Chronarch E7 and 100 SF. I put 75 yds of 20 lb suffix on top of 15 lb P-line. I use 20 lb seaguar fluoro on the end of the braid.

For rod, I have always like the All Star Shrimp Tail Special. I have two of those and one Lloyd Pepper rod that is very similar. With braid, I think you can throw any lure you want with that rod.
Brian Castille is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2017, 09:34 PM   #22
RC04
Registered Users-pm+

RC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
OMG, so many choices. Ok, I'll take one of each, or maybe two. JK. My son told me when I bought the boat last year, that BOAT stands for Bust Out Another Thousand. He is sure right. No, really you guys have been more than kind to give me a bunch of valuable information. Now I just have to decide what combination I can afford to go with. Wish me luck. Thanks again to everyone for responding....
RC04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 06:43 AM   #23
gman1772
All men die, not all men really live.

gman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirate
Revo Premier on a 6'9" Laguna Redfish Special. Revo Premier on a Falcon 7' Lowrider Salt LSC-7M. Revo Inshore & a Orra Inshore on Falcon Coastal XG's for backups. I honestly can't tell you how many Shimano/Falcon spinner rigs I've got. Eight to ten or so.

About the best advice I can give you is buy quality. You are better off buying higher end rigs than buying cheap stuff that doesn't cast well new & degrades quickly with use. Been there & done that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gman1772 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 07:59 AM   #24
Lexy1
Registered Users-pm+

Lexy1 has been promoted to PirateLexy1 has been promoted to PirateLexy1 has been promoted to PirateLexy1 has been promoted to PirateLexy1 has been promoted to PirateLexy1 has been promoted to PirateLexy1 has been promoted to PirateLexy1 has been promoted to PirateLexy1 has been promoted to PirateLexy1 has been promoted to PirateLexy1 has been promoted to Pirate
For saltwater wade fishing, no reel can beat the Curado/Chronarch 50E (king of the hill) reels. Curado/Chronarch 200E7 is next in line if you cannot find the 50E.

Rod is hard to say because it depends on your style/application. Generally a 6'6" Med Light or 7'0" Medium will be a good one to match up. Rod brand is not a big deal. Something in $150-200 should do it.
Lexy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 08:32 AM   #25
habanerojooz
Registered Users-pm+

habanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkinaggie07 View Post
You should be able to get at least $20-$30 (most likely more) off what they are retailing for in brick and mortar stores on the fleabay. Free shipping and no sales tax...what is not to like? Buy from a reputable seller and you are good to go. In my experience, paypal has been excellent to work with should any kind of dispute arise.

-SA
Yea, I shop online quite often. I was not a previous customer of fleabay because I held the old outdated perceptions of it being a place where people sold their used stuff. I never saw it as a place like mamazon where vendors sold new stuff.

When shopping for those Lew's reels, I saw consistent pricing (eg MAP) across all of the big sellers, then I goto fleabay and see the lower prices on that same reel. I was leary of what I might get at that price. I was surprised.

Back to the topic....there's a lot of good stuff recommended in this thread from a lot of experienced people. You'll have a really nice combo if you chose from what you've read here, much better than an off the shelf combo. Plan to spend $300-500 for that combo, depending on which products you choose from the suggestions.
habanerojooz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 05:41 PM   #26
Sisco Kid
Registered Users-pm+

Sisco Kid has been promoted to PirateSisco Kid has been promoted to PirateSisco Kid has been promoted to PirateSisco Kid has been promoted to PirateSisco Kid has been promoted to PirateSisco Kid has been promoted to PirateSisco Kid has been promoted to PirateSisco Kid has been promoted to PirateSisco Kid has been promoted to PirateSisco Kid has been promoted to PirateSisco Kid has been promoted to Pirate
Shimano Aldabaro Sarge Custom Wingman
Shimano Casitas Laguna TX Wader 2 Lite
Concept TX On a Kistler KLX Tops and Tails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sisco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 06:31 PM   #27
223AI
Registered Users-pm+

223AI has been promoted to Pirate223AI has been promoted to Pirate223AI has been promoted to Pirate223AI has been promoted to Pirate223AI has been promoted to Pirate223AI has been promoted to Pirate223AI has been promoted to Pirate223AI has been promoted to Pirate223AI has been promoted to Pirate223AI has been promoted to Pirate223AI has been promoted to Pirate
I bought a Daiwa Zillion this morning, and put suffix 832 20lb braid on it. Paired it with a HookSpit Kryptic Wader LT. I've been casting it in the street, with my neighbors looking at me like I'm crazy, and it's been very impressive. I'm fishing in Rockport Monday, and am leaving my spinners at home to give it a go with this set-up.

It casts a mile, and I really like the t-wing idea. We will see how it holds up.
223AI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2017, 09:31 PM   #28
Wygans
Registered Users-pm+

Wygans has been promoted to PirateWygans has been promoted to PirateWygans has been promoted to PirateWygans has been promoted to PirateWygans has been promoted to PirateWygans has been promoted to PirateWygans has been promoted to PirateWygans has been promoted to PirateWygans has been promoted to PirateWygans has been promoted to PirateWygans has been promoted to Pirate
Shimano or Lews. Spend what you can afford. Take care of it after every trip and it will last many years.

Shimano Curado I is on sale right now.
Wygans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2017, 02:20 PM   #29
stumpgrinder3
Registered Users-pm+

stumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Piratestumpgrinder3 has been promoted to Pirate
Are you willing to properly maintain a high end reel ? If not, buy a academy mettle and replace it once a year. If yes, pick one of the ones these guys have mentioned. They all work great when they are operating properly

Rods ? It's like asking whose the prettiest cheerleader. It's preference
stumpgrinder3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2017, 06:16 PM   #30
dk2429
Pro life, pro gun, Trump 2016

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wygans View Post
Shimano or Lews. Spend what you can afford. Take care of it after every trip and it will last many years.

Shimano Curado I is on sale right now.
Do those I series Curado's do good in the salt like E series?
dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message