Bait-caster setup. What do you use? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 03-27-2017, 12:52 AM   #1
RC04
Registered Users-pm+

RC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Bait-caster setup. What do you use?

I have an Ambassador 6500C on an Abu Garcia Veritas rod. For around $200 it's an OK rig for fishing live under popping corks. But I am looking for a second rig to use for casting plastics and not needing to switch out live for artis. Being old school and having used only bait-caster reels all of my life, I'm not too keen on using a spin-casting rig.

Just wanting some other's personal opinions and experiences before making another purchase. What do you use (rod, reel, line, etc.) and why? Any help would be greatly appreciated
RC04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2017, 12:54 AM   #2
fishingjordan
Registered Users-pm+

fishingjordan has been promoted to Piratefishingjordan has been promoted to Piratefishingjordan has been promoted to Piratefishingjordan has been promoted to Piratefishingjordan has been promoted to Piratefishingjordan has been promoted to Piratefishingjordan has been promoted to Piratefishingjordan has been promoted to Piratefishingjordan has been promoted to Piratefishingjordan has been promoted to Piratefishingjordan has been promoted to Pirate
For light plastics I like to use a curado 50e or shimano citica on a waterloo phantom or castaway rod 6'6-7ft. I like to put a little bit of mono backing and spool it up with 30 lb power pro or fins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
fishingjordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2017, 01:11 AM   #3
RC04
Registered Users-pm+

RC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRC04 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Ok, cool. I failed to add, I'm mainly fishing for specs and reds. Is the 50e a good saltwater reel and heavy enough for reds?
RC04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2017, 05:02 AM   #4
ruquick
Registered Users-pm+

ruquick has been promoted to Pirateruquick has been promoted to Pirateruquick has been promoted to Pirateruquick has been promoted to Pirateruquick has been promoted to Pirateruquick has been promoted to Pirateruquick has been promoted to Pirateruquick has been promoted to Pirateruquick has been promoted to Pirateruquick has been promoted to Pirateruquick has been promoted to Pirate
7' Castaway Skelton with a Core 50MG and a 7' FTU with a Curado 50E. I use Sufix 832 30lb on booth. The 50 reels work great on trout and reds. I have caught plenty of reds in the 28-30" range with them.
ruquick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2017, 07:26 AM   #5
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Lew's lite.
7ft medium lite for in the boat.
6ft medium for wade fishing.
Mono backing, crazy Alberto knot, 30# braid, crazy Alberto knot, 20# fluoro leader.

Most any normal size reel is plenty for specks and reds. My 6500's are on my jetty/light offshore rods for bull reds and snapper and even sharks.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #6
Speckled
Registered Users-pm+

Speckled has been promoted to PirateSpeckled has been promoted to PirateSpeckled has been promoted to PirateSpeckled has been promoted to PirateSpeckled has been promoted to PirateSpeckled has been promoted to PirateSpeckled has been promoted to PirateSpeckled has been promoted to PirateSpeckled has been promoted to PirateSpeckled has been promoted to PirateSpeckled has been promoted to Pirate
I like to take at least two set-ups fishing. One Medium-light powered rod for plastics and small topwaters with a low-profile BC reel (Shimano, Daiwa or Lew's). The other will be a medium powered rod for larger topwaters and larger plastics (Corky Fatboys) again with a low-profile reel.

Most of my reels are spooled 20lb or 30lb braid with mono or fluorocarbon leaders.

If I know my primary fishing will be shrimp under a popping cork, I'll take a Medium-heavy powered rod. Mine is a custom made rod I built on a Rainshadow RX7 844 popping rod, Fuji SK2 reel seat and split grips. Heavier powered rod handles the extra weight of a popping cork, weight and 3" or 4" shrimp which could easily be over an ounce depending on popping cork used and size of shrimp.
Speckled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2017, 03:35 PM   #7
boltmaster
cat lover

boltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirate
6'6" billystix with a core loaded with 12 lb mono for topwaters
6'9" billystix with a core and 20lb suffix 832 for everything else

These are my two primary set up

Also have 4 other billystix and an older American Rodsmith all with chronarch 200e 7 one back up topwaters rig with mono and the rest with either suffix 832 or super slick 20 lb
boltmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2017, 03:52 PM   #8
sharkinaggie07
Registered Users-pm+

sharkinaggie07 has been promoted to Piratesharkinaggie07 has been promoted to Piratesharkinaggie07 has been promoted to Piratesharkinaggie07 has been promoted to Piratesharkinaggie07 has been promoted to Piratesharkinaggie07 has been promoted to Piratesharkinaggie07 has been promoted to Piratesharkinaggie07 has been promoted to Piratesharkinaggie07 has been promoted to Piratesharkinaggie07 has been promoted to Piratesharkinaggie07 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckled View Post

If I know my primary fishing will be shrimp under a popping cork, I'll take a Medium-heavy powered rod. Mine is a custom made rod I built on a Rainshadow RX7 844 popping rod, Fuji SK2 reel seat and split grips. Heavier powered rod handles the extra weight of a popping cork, weight and 3" or 4" shrimp which could easily be over an ounce depending on popping cork used and size of shrimp.
^This except in a spinning set up. The heavier weight rod will allow you to cast a mile as well.

Bait casters on med-lite and medium rods for throwing everything else.

-SA
sharkinaggie07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2017, 10:05 PM   #9
dk2429
Pro life, pro gun, Trump 2016

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
I like my Lews Lite on a 6'6" medium light Waterloo Salinity. Waterloo phantom is good as well. I also like the 13 Concept C but I'm not expecting that thing to last very long with every thing I've read about it. All my reels are spooled up with 12lb Sufix Superior. As far as brand of reel, I'd stick with any Lews
dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2017, 05:28 AM   #10
djsaenz20
Registered Users-pm+

djsaenz20 has been promoted to Piratedjsaenz20 has been promoted to Piratedjsaenz20 has been promoted to Piratedjsaenz20 has been promoted to Piratedjsaenz20 has been promoted to Piratedjsaenz20 has been promoted to Piratedjsaenz20 has been promoted to Piratedjsaenz20 has been promoted to Piratedjsaenz20 has been promoted to Piratedjsaenz20 has been promoted to Piratedjsaenz20 has been promoted to Pirate
Concept C on a 6'9" Waterloo HP Lite with 30lb Fins Wind tamer.. Sensitive enough for soft plastics yet still enough backbone for the heavier artificial lures.
djsaenz20 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message