Gaftop guide - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 03-24-2017, 11:02 PM   #21
SKIPJACKSLAYER
Registered Users-pm+

SKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to Pirate
Call my buddy Captain Kody Martinez out of clear lake. What he lacks in trout catching skills he makes up for in catching big slimers!!!
SKIPJACKSLAYER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2017, 08:03 AM   #22
Trouthappy
Trouthappy

Trouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to Pirate
A friend told me yesterday this local family took their kids gafftop fishing for three summers, until they won first place in a certain tournament and got the kid a $30K college scholarship. They had to work at it, but one day they finally caught a monster gafftop. Just anchored and sat in the same place in the ship channel for three summers, bottom fishing. I hope they didn't have carpet, in that boat...
Trouthappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2017, 08:12 AM   #23
Ready.Fire.Aim
Registered Users-pm+

Location: Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
Ready.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by etexsaltycat View Post
As long at we catching, we happy :-)
Great photo memory, thanks for sharing.

I've got a fond spot for Gafftopsail for the same reason!

I remember being about twelve asking my dad to go fishing in the winter on a nasty day and he relented. Couldn't catch whiting so we went after gafftop.
We loaded up on big ones in the ICW.

I had a great time. Took them home and cleaned them, they fry up and taste as good as channel cats.

I always look forward to boiled okra with tomatoes in the summer, I wonder if the fisherman put off by gafftop slime avoid eating boiled okra?
Ready.Fire.Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2017, 09:34 AM   #24
Brian Castille
Texas Aggie Fisherman

Brian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to Pirate
Gafftops have been part of a fish fry or two for us over the years. Nothing wrong with eating them. I haven't had one in the box in many, many years though. Out of eagle point in the summer, there are plenty to be caught on croakers. Great fighting fish for folks that just want to catch something.
Brian Castille is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2017, 09:51 AM   #25
T-Muney
Registered Users-pm+

T-Muney has been promoted to PirateT-Muney has been promoted to PirateT-Muney has been promoted to PirateT-Muney has been promoted to PirateT-Muney has been promoted to PirateT-Muney has been promoted to PirateT-Muney has been promoted to PirateT-Muney has been promoted to PirateT-Muney has been promoted to PirateT-Muney has been promoted to PirateT-Muney has been promoted to Pirate
I remember a couple of years ago some guy on here posted that eating galftop is like taking a big girl home from the bar, it's really not that bad but u don't go bragging to your friends about it.
T-Muney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2017, 10:49 AM   #26
SSST
Registered Users-pm+

SSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouthappy View Post
A friend told me yesterday this local family took their kids gafftop fishing for three summers, until they won first place in a certain tournament and got the kid a $30K college scholarship. They had to work at it, but one day they finally caught a monster gafftop. Just anchored and sat in the same place in the ship channel for three summers, bottom fishing. I hope they didn't have carpet, in that boat...
I hate them things with a passion, and when you croaker fish, you'll hang plenty. BUT, if I ever caught one big enough to win me a boat, that slimy sucker is going on the wall!
SSST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2017, 11:00 AM   #27
RedXCross
Just stay positive and Rant on!

RedXCross has been promoted to PirateRedXCross has been promoted to PirateRedXCross has been promoted to PirateRedXCross has been promoted to PirateRedXCross has been promoted to PirateRedXCross has been promoted to PirateRedXCross has been promoted to PirateRedXCross has been promoted to PirateRedXCross has been promoted to PirateRedXCross has been promoted to PirateRedXCross has been promoted to Pirate
Pm Kenny on here he likes those trips, A LOT
RedXCross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2017, 10:25 AM   #28
Chuckybrown
Registered Users-pm+

Chuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to Pirate
Deeeeeelicious!
Chuckybrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2017, 11:58 AM   #29
Mouse52
Registered Users-pm+

Mouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to Pirate
Remember catching them with my Dad and Grandfather. Great eating! We would put them in a burlap sack and drag beside the boat to clean off some of the slime. This also kept the boat and cooler cleaner.
Mouse52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2017, 09:27 AM   #30
SaltwaterGospel
Registered Users-pm+

SaltwaterGospel has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSaltwaterGospel has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSaltwaterGospel has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSaltwaterGospel has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSaltwaterGospel has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSaltwaterGospel has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSaltwaterGospel has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSaltwaterGospel has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSaltwaterGospel has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSaltwaterGospel has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSaltwaterGospel has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafowler View Post
My FIL and his brother would like to do a guided trip for gaftop. Preferably west Galveston or Matagorda. They are in there 60's and 80's respectively. Anyone know someone who can accommodate them? Thanks!

We've (unfortunetly) have caught about 100 gaftop the last two Saturday nights. Send me a PM and I can get you in touch with a guide out of Texas City that can most definitely put you on the gaftops (with some bull reds and drum sprinkled in).
SaltwaterGospel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message