Anybody else had fuel problems in galveston over the winter? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 04-11-2017, 09:46 AM   #1
Blueshoes
Registered Users-pm+

Blueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to Pirate
Anybody else had fuel problems in galveston over the winter?

We have heard a few guys say a winter blend of fuel was delivered to the island or something a while back.

We have one of our F200s acting up on us. We havent really had a good trip since mid september however we have been putting the muffs on them and turning them over for a few minutes about once a week/ once every 2 weeks.

The other F200 runs just fine but one of them will die when you put a load on it and go above say 2000 rpms. Thought maybe the original fuel went bad even with stabil in it but that doesnt sound right if the other motor runs fine. We have put a new fuel/water seperator in it and changed out the little clear filter kind of at the top of the motor.

It keeps blowing the 5 amp fuse that is diagramed as the "fuel pump". If i recall the pump was replaced not even like 6 months ago. I do not believe the VST has been cleaned out so im thinking that is on the first list of things to do now. The motor pees just fine but almost sounds like its misfiring. Any injector or spark plug thoughts as well?

We should be having our mechanic down sometime but i dont really know when that will be so im just seeing if yall have any thoughts on the situation.

Thanks
Blueshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 11:06 AM   #2
Ox Eye
Recovering Workaholic

Ox Eye has been promoted to PirateOx Eye has been promoted to PirateOx Eye has been promoted to PirateOx Eye has been promoted to PirateOx Eye has been promoted to PirateOx Eye has been promoted to PirateOx Eye has been promoted to PirateOx Eye has been promoted to PirateOx Eye has been promoted to PirateOx Eye has been promoted to PirateOx Eye has been promoted to Pirate
If you haven't completely replaced your fuel since September, odds are it is the fuel. Sooner or later, we all will come to the realization that ethanol is ****.
Ox Eye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 08:49 PM   #3
CAPSIZED
Registered Users-pm+

CAPSIZED has been promoted to PirateCAPSIZED has been promoted to PirateCAPSIZED has been promoted to PirateCAPSIZED has been promoted to PirateCAPSIZED has been promoted to PirateCAPSIZED has been promoted to PirateCAPSIZED has been promoted to PirateCAPSIZED has been promoted to PirateCAPSIZED has been promoted to PirateCAPSIZED has been promoted to PirateCAPSIZED has been promoted to Pirate
I know of several guides complaining about bad gas right now. I was told it was a winter blend and now that it's warm it causing problems. All are in Galveston
CAPSIZED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 10:50 PM   #4
Ox Eye
Recovering Workaholic

Ox Eye has been promoted to PirateOx Eye has been promoted to PirateOx Eye has been promoted to PirateOx Eye has been promoted to PirateOx Eye has been promoted to PirateOx Eye has been promoted to PirateOx Eye has been promoted to PirateOx Eye has been promoted to PirateOx Eye has been promoted to PirateOx Eye has been promoted to PirateOx Eye has been promoted to Pirate
Come to think of it, I don't believe there is a significant difference in winter/summer gas along the coast. The temperatures don't fluctuate that much between seasons. But, get you a portable tank full of fresh gas and run it through to see if there is a difference. But, since it is only the one engine, I rather doubt that will help. The damage is probably already done.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:55 AM   #5
pmiceli
Registered Users-pm+

pmiceli is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I got some bad gas on Hwy 146 back in October that I am still fighting. I finally have it down low enough to pump out and clean up the tank this weekend.
pmiceli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 10:00 AM   #6
troutsupport

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
it's really not a huge cost to totally empty a tank if its got bad gas. In comparing to other mechanical issues it's fairly inexpensive. If anyone needs any help solving a fuel related issue with any outboard make Give SunCoast Marine a Call in LaMarque. They've always treated me like family and have done good work.
troutsupport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #7
huntfish2011
Get to the Rocks!

huntfish2011 has been promoted to Piratehuntfish2011 has been promoted to Piratehuntfish2011 has been promoted to Piratehuntfish2011 has been promoted to Piratehuntfish2011 has been promoted to Piratehuntfish2011 has been promoted to Piratehuntfish2011 has been promoted to Piratehuntfish2011 has been promoted to Piratehuntfish2011 has been promoted to Piratehuntfish2011 has been promoted to Piratehuntfish2011 has been promoted to Pirate
I had a similar issue as you have described except for blowing the fuse. The motor idled fine and was *******. The bulb would pump and get hard but once you some throttle to it. The engine would die. It turned out the check valve in the bulb had broken and wasn't holding pressure.

You're could be different since the fuse is blowing though.
huntfish2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 10:04 PM   #8
jhewitt3
Registered Users-pm+

jhewitt3 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Eye View Post
Come to think of it, I don't believe there is a significant difference in winter/summer gas along the coast. The temperatures don't fluctuate that much between seasons. But, get you a portable tank full of fresh gas and run it through to see if there is a difference. But, since it is only the one engine, I rather doubt that will help. The damage is probably already done.
Winter blends can have a higher vapor pressure of as much as 12 PSI RVP versus a summer blend of 7.8 PSI RVP. Also, the ethanol free gasolines have even lower RVP as their additive, isobutanol, has a very low RVP.
jhewitt3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2017, 09:00 PM   #9
Ox Eye
Recovering Workaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhewitt3 View Post
Winter blends can have a higher vapor pressure of as much as 12 PSI RVP versus a summer blend of 7.8 PSI RVP. Also, the ethanol free gasolines have even lower RVP as their additive, isobutanol, has a very low RVP.
That's why I didn't think Texas coastal areas had significantly different winter blends than the summer blends. 12 PSI RVP might work fine during a Blue Norther with temperatures in the 30's, but when the temperature jumps to 85 degrees three days later all that RVP evaporates.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:22 AM   #10
Blueshoes
Registered Users-pm+

Blueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to Pirate
thanks for the responses. Sorry i have been out of town. Huntfish that sounds EXACTLY like what we are experiencing. And a vacuum leak would make sense to me. However that bulb is almost brand new, maybe replaced in august? and its like a 50$ one or so I was told (im not the owner of the boat).

The thing is I really hope we didnt just waste a whole bunch of gas. Thinking back on it we should have emptied the tanks before we filled them up. There was about 90 gallons of the old gas in it and then we pumped another 160 gallons or so into it of fresh gas.

However, would a vacuum leak be responsible for blowing that 5 amp fuse though?
Blueshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message