Do you wear wader when on a boat? - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 04-12-2017, 08:05 AM   #11
Bird
No fish in West Bay

Bird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to Pirate
If I'm going wading and it is cold out, I wear my waders. I wear my waders well into the warm weather so if it is warm out, I'll put them on when I get there. If we move to another spot, depending on how far away it is, I may take them off, peel down to my waist or leave them on. I sometimes wear a pfd but not wading. As a rule, I won't wade deeper than belly button deep on me. I always use the belt that came with my waders (Simms) and I always wear my kill switch.
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 08:12 AM   #12
johnsons1480
Registered Users-pm+

johnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Pirate
When I took water survival back when I worked offshore, we had to put on coveralls and then jump in the pool. They filled up with and held water. We had to take them off, drain the water, and then catch air in them to form a makeshift life vest. Wasn't very hard to do as long as you didn't panic.

Now that I'm thinking about it, that would be a great class for any boater to take.
johnsons1480 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 08:18 AM   #13
Bayscout22
***, Over?

Bayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth View Post
It looks like wader fit and type, I.e baggy duck hunting waters could affect the result somewhat. I agree. Test yourself in a pool so you are prepared.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I went to exclusively breathables many years ago for this reason.
Bayscout22 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 08:27 AM   #14
Its Catchy
Registered Users-pm+

Its Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to Pirate
It's a myth that they will pull you down and drown you. However, when you try to get out of the water and back onto a boat or on a dock any water waders hold is water you have to lift up at about 8.6 pounds per gallon. It can be a little cumbersome.
Its Catchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 09:23 AM   #15
Blk Jck 224
Registered Users-pm+

Blk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to Pirate
I don't put mine on until I get to my first destination to wade. I will not keep them on going from first place to second place to wade if getting on a plane. If wading mud using my 'cinder block' Ocean Tek lace up Simms boots, they will only be on my feet when the boat is anchored in waist deep water. Regardless of waders or not, I'm pretty sure those boots would drown me if I fell out in water over my head.
Blk Jck 224 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #16
troutsupport

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
I think the biggest thing is going to be the shock and lack of practice. The swimming stroke that is used is super important as well. The problem is that the cold will shock us and cause us to make very small quick movements, probably trying to dog paddle or just keep head above water. If you make large movements with the legs and arms and move more water then it's easy to stay up and move sideways. Don't just try to tread water, actually make big movements with arms and legs in such a way as to move sideways, just like moving sideways to save ourselves in the surf.
troutsupport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message