2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Garmin updates?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Capt John 
#1 ·
I know there are "probably" some updates for my 498 and cards that I have. Does the unit automatically update from satellite or is this something that you have to do by computer? Thanks

#6 ·
Capt. John...

You can probably get updates for your cards from Capt. John who sells the whole kit and kaboodle....for not much...He has been most kind and easy to work with for me....If you buy his computer management software like I did...you can make your own updates...which are much better than what are from Garmin anyway after the initial info from them...Your own updates are more localized to where you go and are really just jogs to your own "noggin memory card" ...which I definitely need from time to time...chuckle....JT

#9 ·
pug2 said:
My Garmin is discontinued too, but I got free updates from Garmin. Go to the website and get the phone number to Customer Service and give them a call. They are good folks.
I hadnt even hooked my gps to the computer in about 3 years. when i hooked it up the other day it went straight to the website and looked for updates. I dont have the chip you put in but rather the cd that you use to load everything up. I called the customer service line and learned more about my gps and the computer software in 30 minutes than i ever knew. Its a great resource to learn. they sat on the phone with me and showed all kinds of shortcuts.

#10 ·
Looks like a plan to me. Silly me!

E-mail from Capt. John:

"Yes I can. You can either come by or I can load it on a Garmin card and send it to you. All you have to do is insert the card and let the unit update itself. Let me know what you want to do.

The cost of the card and shipping will be $50.00 plus tax. You will be able to use the card for data transfer or later updates afterwards.

Let me know how I can help."

Capt John

From: Harshbarger, Tim [mailto:THarshbarger@sheldon.k12.tx.us]
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 8:39 AM
To: Capt-John@Angler-Products.com
Subject: Garmin updates - posted on 2cool

Can you load the updates for my 498? I looked at the website and that just got me more confused! Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.