If You Fish 3 Or More Times A Week, I Have A Question - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 03-16-2017, 06:18 AM   #1
kenny
Registered Users-pm+

kenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Pirate
If You Fish 3 Or More Times A Week, I Have A Question

How many years, on average, do you get out of top brand waders, wading jackets, and boots?
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2017, 08:50 AM   #2
huntfish2011
Get to the Rocks!

huntfish2011 has been promoted to Piratehuntfish2011 has been promoted to Piratehuntfish2011 has been promoted to Piratehuntfish2011 has been promoted to Piratehuntfish2011 has been promoted to Piratehuntfish2011 has been promoted to Piratehuntfish2011 has been promoted to Piratehuntfish2011 has been promoted to Piratehuntfish2011 has been promoted to Piratehuntfish2011 has been promoted to Piratehuntfish2011 has been promoted to Pirate
I've been looking in to buying a Simms wading jacket and asking around. A guide informed me that he has had his Simms jacket for 8 years.
huntfish2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2017, 10:04 AM   #3
Im Headed South
Registered Users-pm+

Im Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to Pirate
I fish a bunch in the winter and I've had my Simms G4 waders for 7 years, sent them in last spring to repair a zipper on the inside pocket (my fault) and to have the gore tex reconditioned, they called and said they were just sending me a new pair, they were on the porch 3 days later. Bought the Guide Jacket at the same time I bought the waders and have had zero issues with it in 7 years. Simms customer for life here.
Im Headed South is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
sotexhookset
I love beer....

sotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Pirate
3 times a week? You poor soul. Lol

Hell its tough for me to get down there three times during the summer.
sotexhookset is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2017, 04:57 PM   #5
Gunslinger2681
Registered Users-pm+

Gunslinger2681 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieGunslinger2681 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieGunslinger2681 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieGunslinger2681 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieGunslinger2681 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieGunslinger2681 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieGunslinger2681 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieGunslinger2681 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieGunslinger2681 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieGunslinger2681 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieGunslinger2681 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
I'm in between searching for two of those answers myself

Bought the lower end Simms (freestone), had a crotch leak within one winter Wade season
Simms replaced with brand new pair

Replacement pair has crotch leak and both stockings leaked within months
Once the water and air temp is good for wet wading I will send these back and I've already spoken to Sims about crediting the retail cost and me paying the difference for the G series. To the touch Sims waders feel much more durable than anything else so I am willing to upgrade for the G series and see if I get multiple years. If that doesn't work I will buy the absolute cheapest waders I can find and plan to go through the them every year.
I took care of these waders too, put them in a durable bag in the truck and rinse them off after every Wade and hang them up to dry.

Jackets last forever but $500 for Simms jacket is a joke and only feeds a materialists ego! They are nothing but a waterproof shell which a good Columbia jacket can do the same for $100. The Sims jackets aren't even warm. All you need a Wade jacket for is to keep your elbows dry, water from coming in your sleeves as much as possible and the rain off your head

Foreverlast reef boots, two pair in the last two years and the sole on both has separated completely off

I'm debating whether or not to upgrade to the Sims boots or just pay the $50 and go through foreverlast boots every season
Gunslinger2681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2017, 05:50 PM   #6
LA Wader
Registered Users-pm+

LA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to Pirate
I've had a pair of Simms G4 waders since the spring of 2014. This is by far the best pair of waders I've ever owned. I've had neoprene waders, frog togg breathables, and the most expensive Magellan waders, none ever made it through a season (frog toggs maybe a season and a half). I would buy another pair of G4s in a second if I lost mine.

As far as a jacket, I used a Columbia jacket for years. I got wet elbows when reaching for fish, didn't care too much in my younger days. I also used my gortex hunting jacket some too. A couple years ago I bought a Simms G4 jacket. I will say that with the sleeves cinched up, my elbows stay dry when reaching after fish. The jacket is very dry too.

My boots would be where I skimp on! I buy a new pair of boots almost every season, so I don't spend too much. The oyster reefs usually take a toll on the shoes I use.

I use my wading gear from December till the end of May. With the exception of this past year, I usually fish about half the month (shift work) and put lots of time on my gear. I really like what I've got, but to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LA Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2017, 10:29 PM   #7
Parafirediesel
Registered Users-pm+

Parafirediesel has been promoted to PirateParafirediesel has been promoted to PirateParafirediesel has been promoted to PirateParafirediesel has been promoted to PirateParafirediesel has been promoted to PirateParafirediesel has been promoted to PirateParafirediesel has been promoted to PirateParafirediesel has been promoted to PirateParafirediesel has been promoted to PirateParafirediesel has been promoted to PirateParafirediesel has been promoted to Pirate
I called Simms when I was looking to buy my first pair. I talked to their customer service and told them exactly what I'd be using my waders for....wade fishing 2-3 or so times a week maybe 3-4 months a year. He quickly told me that Freestones are made overseas....and while they back them up with the legendary Simms warranty..they just aren't anywhere near Headwaters and above. He pointed me to the headwaters...and the only thing I can say is I wish I hadn't waited so long. Comfortable, and not one issue yet. I'm quickly becoming a Simms man for life.
Parafirediesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #8
Rolltide
Rolltide

Rolltide has been promoted to PirateRolltide has been promoted to PirateRolltide has been promoted to PirateRolltide has been promoted to PirateRolltide has been promoted to PirateRolltide has been promoted to PirateRolltide has been promoted to PirateRolltide has been promoted to PirateRolltide has been promoted to PirateRolltide has been promoted to PirateRolltide has been promoted to Pirate
Waders
I have been using the white river waders from bass pro for the last 9 years and this is my third pair. I am very careful putting them on and taking them off. I put them on in the boat not in a rocky parking lot. I don't peel them off because I think you risk ripping the glued seams when you do that. I also rinse them inside and out after every trip and hang them to dry turning them inside and out.

Boots
I used the Lacrosse mudlite moc wading boots from Bass Pro for 9 years as well. They finally are worn completely out. I just bought a pair of NRS wet boots and really like them so far.

Jacket
I use a Frog Tog Jacket which is very warm but only used as a shell. Very happy with it for how cheap they are.

I fish about 60 days a year and wet wade in the summer. I got about 8 more years until I can fish 3 or more times a week.
Rolltide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #9
Outearly
Registered Users-pm+

Outearly has been promoted to PirateOutearly has been promoted to PirateOutearly has been promoted to PirateOutearly has been promoted to PirateOutearly has been promoted to PirateOutearly has been promoted to PirateOutearly has been promoted to PirateOutearly has been promoted to PirateOutearly has been promoted to PirateOutearly has been promoted to PirateOutearly has been promoted to Pirate
I have a plain old Simms Guide jacket. Best piece of outdoor gear I own. That being said, I gave my son a Frogg Togg wading jacket that he loves.

The Simms equipment is expensive, but it works great, incredibly well thought out.
Outearly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2017, 03:34 PM   #10
EJ@TSFMag
Registered Users-pm+

EJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to Pirate
Ditto what Headed South says. My Simms experience over thirteen years has been nothing but strongly positive - warranty service and all. Their gear is certainly not cheap (G3, G4 waders and jackets), so what it comes down to is... how much do you hate getting cold and wet during winter trophy trout and waterfowl seasons? Having worked as a year-round wade fishing and waterfowl guide ten years and several more for personal enjoyment, I consider my investment and trust in Simms gear to be well placed. -EJ
EJ@TSFMag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message