New to Me Jon Boat - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 03-15-2017, 04:15 PM   #1
gonecoastal89
Registered Users-pm+

gonecoastal89 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
drum New to Me Jon Boat

Hi everyone! Just obtained a new (to me) boat a month or so ago and I'm about ready to start fishing out of it. The boat is a 1980 Cajun Special 1644 with a Yamaha Pro50. I realize this boat is primarily a protected water machine and I've done some pretty extensive research on areas to fish out of small jon boats.... I've compiled a pretty good list. I also realize my fishable days will be much dependent on weather condition.

That being said, I have no experience operating motor vessels in the Galveston bay system and I wanted to see if anyone had some pointers on learning to navigate through the channels and sandbars. My primary areas of interest for the time being will be Chocolate Bayou/Bay, Bayou Vista/Jones Bay, and the south/east shorelines of East Bay.

Photos of boat attached just because . Appreciate any insight/tips!

Also, 1st post. Lurker since 2012!
Attached Images

gonecoastal89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 04:32 PM   #2
Ducktracker
Registered Users-pm+

Ducktracker has been promoted to PirateDucktracker has been promoted to PirateDucktracker has been promoted to PirateDucktracker has been promoted to PirateDucktracker has been promoted to PirateDucktracker has been promoted to PirateDucktracker has been promoted to PirateDucktracker has been promoted to PirateDucktracker has been promoted to PirateDucktracker has been promoted to PirateDucktracker has been promoted to Pirate
Can't help you cause I usually only fish fresh water but congrats on the boat. Very nice. Be safe on the water.

Good fishing to all!
Ducktracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
Lexy1
Registered Users-pm+

Lexy1 has been promoted to PirateLexy1 has been promoted to PirateLexy1 has been promoted to PirateLexy1 has been promoted to PirateLexy1 has been promoted to PirateLexy1 has been promoted to PirateLexy1 has been promoted to PirateLexy1 has been promoted to PirateLexy1 has been promoted to PirateLexy1 has been promoted to PirateLexy1 has been promoted to Pirate
I think it's more like a freshwater (bass) boat to me. You may take it the marshes area but as far as bay or jetties go, I would not risk it.
Lexy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #4
BBCAT
Registered Users-pm+

BBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to Pirate
Not a lot of freeboard on that rig for crossing open water, be careful. Otherwise, just go, take your time and explore and take notes.
BBCAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 05:08 PM   #5
gonecoastal89
Registered Users-pm+

gonecoastal89 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducktracker View Post
Can't help you cause I usually only fish fresh water but congrats on the boat. Very nice. Be safe on the water.

Good fishing to all!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexy1 View Post
I think it's more like a freshwater (bass) boat to me. You may take it the marshes area but as far as bay or jetties go, I would not risk it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCAT View Post
Not a lot of freeboard on that rig for crossing open water, be careful. Otherwise, just go, take your time and explore and take notes.
10-4. Certainly is a bass boat design. I'm aware of the low freeboard and realize my travel range will be severely limited. The Pro50 runs like a top and I hope to transfer over to a side console modv 1756 in the next year to two. Thanks for the comments fellas!
gonecoastal89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 06:15 PM   #6
cjweber09
Registered Users-pm+

cjweber09 has been promoted to Piratecjweber09 has been promoted to Piratecjweber09 has been promoted to Piratecjweber09 has been promoted to Piratecjweber09 has been promoted to Piratecjweber09 has been promoted to Piratecjweber09 has been promoted to Piratecjweber09 has been promoted to Piratecjweber09 has been promoted to Piratecjweber09 has been promoted to Piratecjweber09 has been promoted to Pirate
Should be OK for chocolate bayou.. chocolate bay will work too, just know your limitations. (you will find out very soon what those are).. I was fishing a 14 foot flat bottom rivited Jon boat with a big old heavy 25hp tiller for a few years.. nothing feels better than pulling up to a boat ramp in a cheap boat with a better box of fish than they guys coming in with a $60k+ boat. (Nothing against those guys.. but grinding it out with less is rewarding in its own way). The intercoastal is your friend. Watch out for barges obviously, but their protected waters will be your safe haven. Fish like to move, so places where the intercoastal opens to a bay are great places to try when you can't get to that south shoreline. Mostly just get out there, start safe, learn what you can and can't do, you'll figure it out. Congrats on the boat.
cjweber09 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 06:19 PM   #7
fishingjordan
Registered Users-pm+

fishingjordan has been promoted to Piratefishingjordan has been promoted to Piratefishingjordan has been promoted to Piratefishingjordan has been promoted to Piratefishingjordan has been promoted to Piratefishingjordan has been promoted to Piratefishingjordan has been promoted to Piratefishingjordan has been promoted to Piratefishingjordan has been promoted to Piratefishingjordan has been promoted to Piratefishingjordan has been promoted to Pirate
Read up on jones lake/bay between tiki and bayou vista, greens lake, pierce marsh/Highland bayou, and carancahua lake. I run a 15 ft poling skiff and these are areas I fish regularly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
fishingjordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 06:32 PM   #8
cjweber09
Registered Users-pm+

cjweber09 has been promoted to Piratecjweber09 has been promoted to Piratecjweber09 has been promoted to Piratecjweber09 has been promoted to Piratecjweber09 has been promoted to Piratecjweber09 has been promoted to Piratecjweber09 has been promoted to Piratecjweber09 has been promoted to Piratecjweber09 has been promoted to Piratecjweber09 has been promoted to Piratecjweber09 has been promoted to Pirate
Also.. be sure to get a decent GPS/Depth finder. I use to fly blind, but I don't recommend it.
cjweber09 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 07:18 PM   #9
Cerveza
Registered Users-pm+

Cerveza has been promoted to PirateCerveza has been promoted to PirateCerveza has been promoted to PirateCerveza has been promoted to PirateCerveza has been promoted to PirateCerveza has been promoted to PirateCerveza has been promoted to PirateCerveza has been promoted to PirateCerveza has been promoted to PirateCerveza has been promoted to PirateCerveza has been promoted to Pirate
Nice little rig!!!!!!!!!!!! That Yamaha will last you a long time with proper maintenance.
Cerveza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 07:43 PM   #10
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Get a bigger bilge pump or two. Very very unforgiving in a rig that size when you get a wave coming over the side.

Small bay boats that size are self bailing. So they can fill to the top turning their boat into a pool and all that water simply runs out no problem. Yours is not made the same. So please stay very safe. Kill switch and life jacket always. Always.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message