Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 03-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #21
Jdunn5267
Registered Users-pm+

Jdunn5267 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Ranch View Post
What knot are ya'll using to tie your braid to your flouro leader? I lost a big trout this weekend, which is the second one this winter, using the improved Albright. I feel like in both instances the braid cut the flouro.
I'm using the green 30lb Power Pro.
Thx

I use spro 50lb. Swivels to connect my leader to braid. They're tiny and I've never have a problem with it. I use palomar knots to connect to the swivel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jdunn5267 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #22
EJ@TSFMag
Registered Users-pm+

EJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to Pirate
Knot Failure - Mono or Flouro to Braid

Anglers go to great lengths to purchase top end rods, reels, lines, lures, etc. They seem less likely to pursue the same level of excellence and attention to detail in learning and TESTING their joining knots.

There are two primary sources of your joining knots failing at less than advertised pound/test strength of either the braid or the leader material. #1 is poor tying technique #2 is poor knot design. Actually, with a good knot design and good tying technique it is quite common to find your knots and lines exceeding advertised strength by as much as 20- to 30%.

I have been thorough in my testing, using a digital scale to record the load placed on the joining knot and component lines.

My favorite joining knot is the Crazy Alberto. Easy to tie, consistently capable of exceeding advertised pound/test of the component lines, and very slim to help it slide through rod guides.

As for line choices, no disappointments thus far with plain old 20 pound Ande and 25 pound Big Game monofilament leaders (not a big fan of flouro.) FINS Windtamer, SeaGuar, Power Pro and Sufix braids have all worked very well for me.

Test your knots with a scale on static pull. You will learn a lot!
EJ@TSFMag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 01:30 PM   #23
Bozo
Typical Texan

Bozo has been promoted to PirateBozo has been promoted to PirateBozo has been promoted to PirateBozo has been promoted to PirateBozo has been promoted to PirateBozo has been promoted to PirateBozo has been promoted to PirateBozo has been promoted to PirateBozo has been promoted to PirateBozo has been promoted to PirateBozo has been promoted to Pirate
I use 30 lb power pro. I find the smaller than 30lb braid digs into itself after a something tugs your line really good.
Bozo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 01:35 PM   #24
Rack Ranch
Certified Animal Chiropractor

Rack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to Pirate
^^^^^ The Alberto is what I'm calling the improved Albright. IDK what is going on but I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong. I'm going to try the FG knot posted and see if I have better luck. Thx
Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 01:42 PM   #25
Bull Red
Spending way too much time on 2Cool

Bull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ@TSFMag View Post
Knot Failure - Mono or Flouro to Braid

Anglers go to great lengths to purchase top end rods, reels, lines, lures, etc. They seem less likely to pursue the same level of excellence and attention to detail in learning and TESTING their joining knots.

There are two primary sources of your joining knots failing at less than advertised pound/test strength of either the braid or the leader material. #1 is poor tying technique #2 is poor knot design. Actually, with a good knot design and good tying technique it is quite common to find your knots and lines exceeding advertised strength by as much as 20- to 30%.

I have been thorough in my testing, using a digital scale to record the load placed on the joining knot and component lines.

My favorite joining knot is the Crazy Alberto. Easy to tie, consistently capable of exceeding advertised pound/test of the component lines, and very slim to help it slide through rod guides.

As for line choices, no disappointments thus far with plain old 20 pound Ande and 25 pound Big Game monofilament leaders (not a big fan of flouro.) FINS Windtamer, SeaGuar, Power Pro and Sufix braids have all worked very well for me.

Test your knots with a scale on static pull. You will learn a lot!
Hi EJ! Have you tested the Albright knot? It's what I use to tie mono leaders to braid and has worked well for me so far. I think it's a hair thinner than the Crazy Alberto since you are not doubling over your wraps. http://www.animatedknots.com/albrigh...om#ScrollPoint
Bull Red is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 01:51 PM   #26
Bull Red
Spending way too much time on 2Cool

Bull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to Pirate
The best braid I have used is 20# PP SS 8, although I usually buy this. You can't beat the price and it's good quality. Same maker as Power Pro.
Attached Images

Bull Red is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 02:01 PM   #27
EJ@TSFMag
Registered Users-pm+

EJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to Pirate
Bull Red - Albright is a good knot but Alberto has given me superior test results. Other's results may vary but that's what I have found. -EJ
EJ@TSFMag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #28
Mrschasintail
Registered Users-pm+

Mrschasintail has been promoted to PirateMrschasintail has been promoted to PirateMrschasintail has been promoted to PirateMrschasintail has been promoted to PirateMrschasintail has been promoted to PirateMrschasintail has been promoted to PirateMrschasintail has been promoted to PirateMrschasintail has been promoted to PirateMrschasintail has been promoted to PirateMrschasintail has been promoted to PirateMrschasintail has been promoted to Pirate
I personally us Suffix 30lb braid. It is equal to 8lb mono. I swear I can feel a fish fart.
Baitcaster, super light.
Mrschasintail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #29
bowmansdad
Registered Users-pm+

bowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Pirate
I have been a braid hater for a long time for the usual complaints, especially the continual backlashes from hell. I went to Lake Fork a few weeks ago and really put the Windtamer 40G to the test, I'll say that I was impressed! I had a few minor backlashes, totally my fault, and loved the distance I was getting, in fact after the 1st day I don't remember any. I fished jigs, crankbaits, flukes and spinnerbaits with no problems from any. I fished the 45 lb. line on a super tuned Curado 200 on my BillyStix rod. Highly recommend the 40G, a fellow 2cooler convinced me to try it and glad I did!
bowmansdad is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 02:52 PM   #30
Fishin' Texas Aggie 05
Registered Users-pm+

Fishin' Texas Aggie 05 has been promoted to PirateFishin' Texas Aggie 05 has been promoted to PirateFishin' Texas Aggie 05 has been promoted to PirateFishin' Texas Aggie 05 has been promoted to PirateFishin' Texas Aggie 05 has been promoted to PirateFishin' Texas Aggie 05 has been promoted to PirateFishin' Texas Aggie 05 has been promoted to PirateFishin' Texas Aggie 05 has been promoted to PirateFishin' Texas Aggie 05 has been promoted to PirateFishin' Texas Aggie 05 has been promoted to PirateFishin' Texas Aggie 05 has been promoted to Pirate
im using power pro slick 8 30lb test (maybe) with a floro leader tied with a crazy alberto knot.

ive been more than pleased
Fishin' Texas Aggie 05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message