Favorite Rod Broke :( - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 03-12-2017, 07:30 AM   #1
Mattikins
Mirrolure Semi-Pro Staff

Mattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to Pirate
Favorite Rod Broke :(

Went fishing the other day with my favorite combo (Castaway Invicta Donk and Curado 200e7) and was just doing what I usually do nothing out of the ordinary. After about 30 minutes of fishing I make a cast and hear and feel a pop and watch my lure go roughly the same distance I had been casting and I look up and notice my beloved rod had broken. I was really confused because I baby all my rods and could not figure out what went wrong.

I will try and get in touch with Castaway and hopefully they will warranty it. The rod is less than a year old. Will post some pics and maybe some of y'all might have some opinions on what might have happened (or just a freak accident so to speak).

Just to clarify: When I casted I did not backlash, the lure went as far as a normal cast, the line wasn't wrapped around the blank and was using a 1/4 Oz jighead.

Name:  20170310_071917.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  22.6 KBName:  20170310_071940.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  30.3 KBName:  20170310_071942.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  23.9 KBName:  20170310_071947.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  29.7 KBName:  20170310_071951.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  23.9 KBName:  20170310_105155.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  13.3 KB

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mattikins; 03-12-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Mattikins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2017, 07:56 AM   #2
boltmaster
cat lover

boltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirate
I have had that happen a couple of times. Rod probably got hit or banged into something unnoticed sometime at that point and weakened it. Really stinks when it happens to a favorite. Hope they do something for you but I wouldn't count on it. I had a really nice rod snap while fighting a nice fat trout.....managed to land the fish at least.
boltmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #3
Mattikins
Mirrolure Semi-Pro Staff

Mattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltmaster View Post
I have had that happen a couple of times. Rod probably got hit or banged into something unnoticed sometime at that point and weakened it. Really stinks when it happens to a favorite. Hope they do something for you but I wouldn't count on it. I had a really nice rod snap while fighting a nice fat trout.....managed to land the fish at least.
See that's the thing, I would know if at any point the rod had got bumped or smacked since the point of ownership. The rod always rides inside the vehicle and not the bed of a truck. Biggest fish I have caught on it was a 24" Red. I tend to use my G.Loomis for Red duty and keep the Invicta for keeper Trout. I would completely understand and admit if I did something wrong and I honestly I can't say that I did. It is really perplexing.

For instance: If I get snagged on something I will try and pull it out by hand instead of yanking on it with the rod.

Last edited by Mattikins; 03-12-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:22 AM   #4
SSST
Registered Users-pm+

SSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to Pirate
I've had 2 Castaways do the same thing over the years, one was on the first trip out. I took that one back to Academy and they gave me a new one. The other was used quite a bit, so I just chalked it up as a loss.
SSST is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #5
Mattikins
Mirrolure Semi-Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSST View Post
I've had 2 Castaways do the same thing over the years, one was on the first trip out. I took that one back to Academy and they gave me a new one. The other was used quite a bit, so I just chalked it up as a loss.
I bought the rod at Roy's so I can't return it there unfortunately. Did your rods break that far down (more or less)? The break happened about 17 1/2" from the tip when I usually hear about breaks it's usually the first few inches.

For $250 + Tax roughly $270 I would expect it to hold up longer than a year. I have heard if it is a manufacturers defect it usually shows up within the first few trips. I wonder if there might have been a very small fracture before I purchased it and it finally just snapped. I am not knocking Castaway here just to be clear.

I have seen the way retailers like Academy handle the rods when they put them out. They toss them in a basket like a bundle of firewood. Then sometimes a "customer" comes along and sword fights with it and puts it back to have an unsuspecting customer purchase.

I could understand if I had an egg weight attached and threw it in the rod holder in the back of the truck going 60mph on the freeway.

Last edited by Mattikins; 03-12-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #6
SSST
Registered Users-pm+

SSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to Pirate
If I remember right, one broke about in half and the other about where yours did. One was while I was casting, the other I was bringing in a trout. I haven't owned one since, but I really like the feel of some of the newer ones, so that may change. I've broke rods before just by doing something stupid, but I really think there was a defect in those 2.
SSST is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #7
Whitebassfisher
Retired opinionated old fart

Whitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to Pirate
Since you seem to realize what can hurt a rod and also willing to admit if you did something wrong to cause the breakage, so I would at least try for warranty replacement.
Whitebassfisher is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #8
Mattikins
Mirrolure Semi-Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSST View Post
If I remember right, one broke about in half and the other about where yours did. One was while I was casting, the other I was bringing in a trout. I haven't owned one since, but I really like the feel of some of the newer ones, so that may change. I've broke rods before just by doing something stupid, but I really think there was a defect in those 2.
Interesting thanks for the info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebassfisher View Post
Since you seem to realize what can hurt a rod and also willing to admit if you did something wrong to cause the breakage, so I would at least try for warranty replacement.
Thank you, yeah gonna try and make it up their sometime during the week for spring break. If some of y'all would see the way I treat my rods y'all would probably get a kick out of it lol. They are my chitrens.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:30 AM   #9
byte-me
Registered Users-pm+

byte-me has been promoted to Piratebyte-me has been promoted to Piratebyte-me has been promoted to Piratebyte-me has been promoted to Piratebyte-me has been promoted to Piratebyte-me has been promoted to Piratebyte-me has been promoted to Piratebyte-me has been promoted to Piratebyte-me has been promoted to Piratebyte-me has been promoted to Piratebyte-me has been promoted to Pirate
Castaways is located off of 290, had one rod break and the other two rods had non stainless guides started to rust out. They replaced the broken rod for free and re did the two other rods with stainless guides, didn't charge me a dime. Their answer we have a lifetime warranty, but if you want titanium spring guides its an up charge.

Also brought back a broken American Rods Smith rod and they gave me 20% of a new purchase. I guess because they took over their building and just trying to do people right.

Hope this helps.... Good luck...!
byte-me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2017, 10:52 AM   #10
wbs4010
Registered Users-pm+

wbs4010 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerwbs4010 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerwbs4010 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerwbs4010 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerwbs4010 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerwbs4010 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerwbs4010 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerwbs4010 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerwbs4010 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerwbs4010 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerwbs4010 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
I buy the Academy brands for around $20, never had a break except when the truck door got it. Academy replaced it , no questions. Largest Red so far 36".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wbs4010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message